Author Topic: " watch " it !!.... Hawaiin Tale  (Read 6220 times)

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
" watch " it !!.... Hawaiin Tale
« on: March 18, 2011, 02:41:54 PM »
After Thomas Matlock becomes a Jan & Dean fan, through listening to his big brother's J&D albums, he meets his father, and sees HE'S got a Jan & Dean 80's poster up!!   Turns out, his own dad, Melvin P Miller was actually! with Jan & Dean in Hawaii performing alongside them !! 

( * Note -- Mel is the driver chauffeuring Jan & Dean )  lucky ducky guy!!

*  Thank you so much Thomas for sharing this real TREASURE !!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 04:31:40 PM by maryw7 »

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
Re: " watch " it !!.... Hawaiin Tale
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 04:28:57 PM »
....you can see Mel in the vintage tv special from Hawaii clip in which Thomas has added the picture at the beginning...remember!, Mel is their "chauffeur"  *i just love the thumbnail pic :)

Melvin P. Miller in Jan & Dean's "Honolulu Lulu"
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 04:34:41 PM by maryw7 »

The Surfer Joe

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 09:34:15 PM »
Great post & video...
I think the TSA confiscated their surfboards, Though :)

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 06:45:40 PM »
Thanks, Joseph!!    :)   What is the TSA? 

The reason i called this "watch " it....is cuz these two special Aloha A Go Go's have that super special "watch" thing ....remember?  On the above video it is at point:  :29 or :30 ....

I have brought it up a time or two before.  Remember how Jan has said that some things jog his memory?...like even in his " Remember Me " message ....which i just reread most of again today.

Well...when Dean was told that it's so cute the way he does funny things on stage....like lift his wrist up and "check" his watch during concerts....right in the middle of "playing" his guitar.... he said, "You know where I got that from?......THAT guy" ( pointing to Jan!! ) 

Then he goes on to describe the time they were in Hawaii .... and while they're performing.... right in the middle, Jan pulls out his pocket watch!!

Now, as Dean's describing this....Jan starts to laugh!....and Dean's like.... " You remember this?! "    :)

-- making Dean happy!  ....and then Dean goes on to say how Jan had walked out on the stage, all nonchalantly..... casually does the watch thing....and then proceeds to knock over a tiki light!!  Here it is in this Youtube.... beginning at point 1:12....(the watch) and  1:59....( the bumped over tiki light )  ...soooo funny!

And you'll notice all the "pretend" slips and falls those two do.  Plus Jan checking his " finger nail " at point:
1:30 or so....another thing we fans all know Dean obviously "adopted"    :)

Jan and Dean on Aloha A Go Go
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 09:20:27 PM by maryw7 »

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 11:55:31 AM »
Ah......  ;)  I get it now, Joseph!!  The TSA, you say, is the airport authority group that searches and then confiscates belongings at the airport.....ah ha!!

Now...back to Mel P Miller...

You can also find him in his son's other Youtubes... a few years later...here he is in "Hawaii Five-O "  ( ambulance attendant...nodding to Mr. Lord )  ( AND he is with another favorite...the guest star of the episode...Johnny Crawford! )

Melvin P. Miller in Hawaii Five-O, 1968

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 11:17:43 PM »
Must see Melvin himself in this super cute video

Mel, Amanda & the Sur-Fun "T"

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 11:44:58 PM »
 :)  So if the TOP, 1st picture on here wasn't cool enough to find through Melvin P Miller's son, Thomas ( Matlock ).... a couple weeks ago, Randy Nauert,  of "the Challengers "....the group with  Jan & Dean on Aloha a Go Go...shares this ALSO extremely COOL photograph of his!! on his Facebook page. 

THANK YOU Randy and Thomas !!  for bringing such sweet pieces from Jan & Dean's ... as well as your own ... fantastic history    ( lovin it !! )

Melvin P Miller is the driver ....and Deanna Mollner is sitting next to him in yellow

« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 12:47:32 AM by maryw7 »

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 11:57:42 PM »
(deleted as Youtube was removed)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 08:19:17 PM by maryw7 »