Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
DON'T YOU JUST KNOW IT / Re: Bob Emrich Shares Memories of Jan Berry
« Last post by surferbee on September 22, 2022, 09:10:13 AM »
What a great insight
DON'T YOU JUST KNOW IT / Bob Emrich Shares Memories of Jan Berry
« Last post by Admin on September 20, 2022, 04:13:31 PM »
Bob Emrich shared some memories of Jan as a teenager in Bel Air in the 1950s, which have been posted on Jan's official site.

That last story is hilarious . . . and classic Jan.

https://jananddean-janberry.com/some-things-you-never-forget/

DON'T YOU JUST KNOW IT / Re: Jan Berry's Original Music Scores Published
« Last post by Admin on September 09, 2022, 06:14:56 PM »

Surf City
Jan Berry’s Authentic Original Music Score
Used by the Wrecking Crew to Record the Original Song (and for live performances).
Arranged by Jan Berry
Transcribed by Mark A. Moore

Description: Jan & Dean’s blockbuster hit from the summer of 1963—the first record in the Surf genre to hit #1 nationally (#1 Billboard; #1 Cash Box; #3 R&B; #1 Australia; #26 UK; #26 Cash Box Year-End; #28 Billboard Year-End). A BMI Award-winning song.

Size: 11″ x 17″
Length: 61 pages
Contents: Cover Page, Introductory Text, Full Score Studio Recording Arrangement (with Full Vocal Arrangement and Individual Charts), Full Score Alternate Brass and Woodwind Arrangement (with Individual Charts), and End Page.

Studio Recording Arrangement (14 parts): Guitar 1-4 (with tablature), Bass (with tablature), Vibraphone, Percussion, Drums; Piano; Vocals (lead, falsetto, alto, tenor, and bass).

Alternate Brass and Woodwind Arrangement (used for live performances in the '60s) (9 parts): Alto Sax, Tenor Sax 1-2, Baritone Sax; Trumpet 1-3, Trombone 1-2.
Distributed by: ArrangeMe and the Hal Leonard Corporation.
Licensed from: Screen Gems-EMI Music Inc.
Available from: Sheet Music Direct, Hal Leonard’s premier outlet for digital sheet music.
Published: September 9, 2022 (Fiji Printing #4).

https://www.sheetmusicdirect.com/en-US/se/ID_No/1200059/Product.aspx

https://jananddean-janberry.com/jan-berrys-authentic-original-music-scores/

« Last post by Admin on September 09, 2022, 06:13:53 PM »

Batman
Used by the Wrecking Crew to Record the Original Song (and for live performances).
Arranged by Jan Berry

Length: 78 pages

Contents: Cover Page, Introductory Text, Full Score Studio Recording Arrangement (with Full Vocal Arrangement and Individual Charts), Full Score Alternate Brass and Woodwind Arrangement (with Individual Charts), and End Page.

Studio Recording Arrangement (18 parts): Alto Sax, Tenor Sax, Baritone Sax; Trumpet 1-3, French Horn, Trombone 1-3, Tuba; Guitar 1-3, Bass; Timpani, Drums; Piano

Vocal Arrangement (5 parts): Lead, Falsetto, Alto, Tenor, and Bass

Alternate Brass and Woodwind Arrangement (live performances) (11 parts): Alto Sax, Tenor Sax, Baritone Sax; Trumpet 1-3, French Horn, Trombone 1-3, Tuba.

Licensed from: EMI Music Publishing.
Available from: Sheet Music Direct, Hal Leonard’s premier outlet for digital sheet music.
Published: August 13, 2022 (Fiji Printing #3).

https://www.sheetmusicdirect.com/en-US/se/ID_No/1189842/Product.aspx

« Last post by Admin on September 09, 2022, 06:13:12 PM »

The Anaheim, Azusa & Cucamonga Sewing Circle, Book Review and Timing Association
Arranged by Jan Berry

Length: 71 pages

Studio Recording Arrangement (20 parts): Oboe, Bassoon, Trumpet, French Horn; Guitar 1-3, Bass 1-2; Glockenspiel, Timpani, Percussion, Drums 1-2; Harpsichord, Piano; Vocals (lead, falsetto, alto, tenor, and bass).

Alternate Brass and Woodwind Arrangement (live performances) (11 parts): Alto Sax 1-2, Tenor Sax 1-2, Baritone Sax; Trumpet 1-3, Trombone 1-3.

Licensed from: Universal Music Careers.
Published: July 27, 2022 (Fiji Printing #2).

https://www.sheetmusicdirect.com/en-US/se/ID_No/1161003/Product.aspx

I bought Anthology in 1972, a year after its release. Always liked the song selection and the booklet. That’s when I first learned a lot about Jan & Dean. Also hearing many songs for the first time. The only other album I owned at the time was Command Performance. In 1975, I bought Gotta Take That One Last Ride on 8 track! And soon after, the double album. I played that tape in my van constantly. Especially when going to the beach for some surfing. I thought it had many great songs, most that I never heard before. Not sure what Jan thought of both of them. Maybe it’s in one of the two books by Mark A Moore.
Hey so I've been wondering what Jan's opinions were on the Anthology Album from 1971 and the Gotta Take That One Last Ride album from 1974? Was he consulted at all on track selection? I think Anthology is a nice overview though I think it kinda stinks that "You Really Know How to Hurt a Guy" and "I Found a Girl" are nowhere to be found, likely due to being too substantial for Dean, who for some reason I guess didn't like Jan moving further outside of the expected "Jan & Dean" sound perhaps?

And Gotta Take That One Last Ride just strikes me as a real oddity? Since it came out in 1974, is it possible it came out after The Beach Boys beloved Endless Summer album? It would kinda make sense to me if that were the case, with the track listing looking like it's a Jan and Dean "summer fun" album. Also, it is super odd that "Vegetables" is on both of the aforementioned albums. I kinda get why it's on Anthology cuz it showed with Dean had been up to (and also made for a chance to release the version of "Vegetables" with Brian Wilson and Spring), but why did it appear again on Gotta Take That One Last Ride? Odd.

Anyways, anybody know anything about all these albums? I'd love to hear if so. Thank you!
DON'T YOU JUST KNOW IT / Re: Jan berry Anthology
« Last post by sweetdudejim on September 08, 2022, 11:57:59 PM »
Also wondering myself why Jan can't get a proper solo anthology, one especially focusing on his '70s material.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm very happy to see this second Dean release, but I think Jan's work deserves another look. I'm glad Second Wave got reissued, though I'm not really a fan of that material, but I hope at some point somebody stands up for Jan and gets a company like Omnivore to put out a set.
So nobody knows if the 1975 "updated" version of "Sidewalk Surfin'" is available digitally anywhere? It was issued as Jan & Dean, but I guess Dean added overdubs to and remixed the 1964 master. Anybody?

Was there any reason for Dean to do the remakes?

Why didn't Jan get carnival of sounds released around the time Dean had  save for a rainy day, two great albums in opinion.

Simply put, probably just money offered to do it.
DON'T YOU JUST KNOW IT / Displaying Jan and Dean
« Last post by surferbee on September 04, 2022, 12:08:01 PM »
Over the years my Jan and Dean collection has grown and I decided a while ago that some of  it deserved to be displayed - the 45 pic sleeves, some rarer album covers, the programme and some sheet music. Some I have in individual frames but the 45s eps, a few photos and autographs are in a big frame. They look great. I was hoping to post a photo but I cannot reduce the memory's size of the picture enough to upload it.

Anyway, I wondered if anyone else had any of their collection displayed - and if so - how?

Pride of place awaits a Jan and Dean boxset if it ever arrives!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10