Author Topic: Jan & Dean in HBO's "Vinyl"  (Read 4008 times)

Actorman

• Doré
    • View Profile
Jan & Dean in HBO's "Vinyl"
« on: July 15, 2016, 07:38:11 AM »
I've been watching the HBO series "Vinyl" which is set in the '70s but frequently flashes back to the '60s during the episodes. A flashback in the episode I watched last night featured a minute or so of "Surf City" with two actors portraying Jan and Dean performing the song. It was the original track with the actors lip-synching. It was pretty cool and totally unexpected.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Arwin
    • View Profile
    • jananddean-janberry.com
Re: Jan & Dean in HBO's "Vinyl"
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 07:58:26 AM »
Cool. I think the series got cancelled.

Actorman

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 11:14:29 AM »
LOL! It probably did. It wasn't that good overall. I still have to finish the last two episodes. I just thought it was really cool that "Jan & Dean" were featured. "Karen Carpenter" also made an appearance in one of the early episodes except they used a cover version and not the original master recording like they did with "Surf City."

Those were probably the two highlights of the series for me.

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 11:20:43 AM »
If you could get a video of the Jan & Dean part, I'd love to see it!!

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 01:03:56 PM »
I checked it out on HBO GO.

It was done as kind of a surrealist scene. Keep in mind that the series is set primarily in 1970s New York.

Two of the main characters (Richie and Zak) fly to L.A. in hopes of selling their record label's corporate jet to an industry mogul.

Jan & Dean are shown singing "Surf City" on the aircraft during the flight. The theme of "Two Girls For Every Boy" is an ominous foreshadowing of events to come.

During the flight, Richie claims that Jim Morrison's last threesome had occurred on the airplane. Zak (Ray Ramano, of Everybody Loves Raymond fame) laments not having had a threesome.

Later in Las Vegas, Zak has a drunken threesome with two beautiful girls. After Elvis Presley pulls a gun on Richie (scaring the hell out of him), he returns to their hotel room to find Zak passed out — and alone. The room is trashed and the two girls are gone, having robbed the guys of a lot of money.

Jan & Dean — (Hayden Frank and Carson Kelly). Jan is on the right. Vinyl, Season 1, Episode 7.

Jan — (Hayden Frank). Vinyl, Season 1, Episode 7.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 01:05:51 PM by Mark A. Moore »

Bitman

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 01:45:41 PM »
IMHO they sure got the right guys to play the parts...look pretty spot on all things considered