Poll

Which LP Do You Prefer?

Jan - Carnival of Sound
Dean - Save For a Rainy Day
Both LPs

Author Topic: Save For a Rainy Day vs Carnival of Sound  (Read 9406 times)

Moon Dawg

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
Save For a Rainy Day vs Carnival of Sound
« on: May 17, 2016, 07:46:46 PM »
  Within a year of each other, Jan & Dean made de facto solo albums as "Jan & Dean" albums; both records languished in undeserved obscurity for decades. Which do you prefer?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 08:35:12 PM by Moon Dawg »

Moon Dawg

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
Re: Save For a Rainy Day vs Carnival of Sound
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 08:36:36 PM »
  I must have been thinking of "Filet of Soul" when I typed "Carnival of Soul"! LOL

Admin

• Administrator
  • Arwin
    • View Profile
    • jananddean-janberry.com
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 08:40:10 PM »
Add a third choice for "Both" . . . That would get my vote.

Moon Dawg

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 08:51:52 PM »
  I heard both for the first time a year or two ago. My initial preference was for CARNIVAL but RAINY DAY has been a sleeper. Yes, I've attempted to combine them into one. Nothing settled thus far.

What's with all the different versions/mixes of "Yellow Balloon"?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 08:59:50 PM by Moon Dawg »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Arwin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 10:10:57 PM »
What's with all the different versions/mixes of "Yellow Balloon"?

Dean's first version was self released on his J&D Record Co. LP in late '66. He did a second version, with a more complex arrangement, that was released as a single on Columbia in early '67.

Unfortunately, however, all of Dean's J&D Record Co. and Columbia endeavors were killed by Screen Gems for breach of contract. The singles for both labels were shut down, the J&D Record Co. label was shut down, and the Columbia version of the LP never saw the light of day (beyond a handful of copies in Europe).

Moon Dawg

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 05:31:59 PM »
  Is CARNIVAL OF SOUND a "real" Jan & Dean record? One might say that if Jan Berry is producer/co-composer then, yes, it is. "Mulholland", "Fan Tan" and "Hawaii" sound like true J&D tunes to my ears. "Carnival of Sound" and "I Know My Mind" less so, despite their overall quality.

Is that groovy Glen Campbell singing lead on "Girl You're Blowing My Mind"?

Somewhere on You Tube - one of the CARNIVAL songs - there's a comment posted by someone claiming to have bought either an acetate or promotional copy of CARNIVAL at a used record for store for 25 cents in 1971! Possible? Talk about the the holy grail. Holy cow!

Were the oldies really a good fit? I sort of envision a 10 track version with just one oldie remake as opposed to 3 or 4 on a 12 song version. And no "Only A Boy".
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 04:21:53 AM by Moon Dawg »

Moon Dawg

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 05:42:37 PM »
SAVE FOR A RAINY DAY is one of the true gems of the Jan & Dean catalog. Props to Dean for his fortitude in forging ahead with something creative in the face of uncertainty. His vocals alone are a tour de force.

Impossible to guess what was going on in Dean's head 49 years later. Standing by and sticking with his old partner with a co-credit even if dubiously legal? Check. I bit of "Hey I can do it too"? Check. A bit of subconscious (?) one-upmanship by using a pic of Jan's brother on the cover? Maybe.

A minor masterpiece of lite psychedelic surf rock. A-

Moon Dawg

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 05:43:56 PM »
  BTW - Is there a way to change "Carnival of Soul" to "Carnival of Sound" in the voting box? Thanks

Moon Dawg

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 05:48:42 PM »
 Was "Like a Summer Rain" recorded slightly before the rest of the album? Thx

Admin

• Administrator
  • Arwin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 09:29:29 PM »
  Is CARNIVAL OF SOUND a "real" Jan & Dean record? One might say that if Jan Berry is producer/co-composer then, yes, it is. "Mulholland", "Fan Tan" and "Hawaii" sound like true J&D tunes to my ears. "Carnival of Sound" and "I Know My Mind" less so, despite their overall quality.

Dean signed the Warner Bros. contract. Carnival of Sound would have been an official Jan & Dean release, as far as Warner Bros. and Screen Gems were concerned.

Is that groovy Glen Campbell singing lead on "Girl You're Blowing My Mind"?

Yes. Glen Campbell also sang on "Hawaii," "Fan Tan," and "Love and Hate."

Somewhere on You Tube - one of the CARNIVAL songs - there's a comment posted of someone claiming to have bought either an acetate or promotional copy of CARNIVAL at a used record for store for 25 cents in 1971! Possible? Talk about the the holy grail. Holy cow!

It could have been an acetate.

Were the oldies really a good fit? I sort of envision a 10 track version with just one oldie remake as opposed to 3 or 4 on a 12 song version. And no "Only A Boy".

The oldies and "Only A Boy" were not a good fit with the rest of the album.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:45:03 PM by admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Arwin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 09:33:59 PM »
SAVE FOR A RAINY DAY is one of the true gems of the Jan & Dean catalog. Props to Dean for his fortitude in forging ahead with something creative in the face of uncertainty. His vocals alone are a tour de force.

Impossible to guess what was going on in Dean's head 49 years later. Standing by and sticking with his old partner with a co-credit even if dubiously legal? Check. I bit of "Hey I can do it too"? Check. A bit of subconscious (?) one-upmanship by using a pic of Jan's brother on the cover? Maybe.

A minor masterpiece of lite psychedelic surf rock. A-

Unfortunately for Dean it was not legal at all. Dean did not have the legal authority to release material as Jan & Dean, or to make business decisions on behalf of the act. That's why Screen Gems squashed Dean's projects. Another problem Screen Gems had was that Dean did not bother to get Jan's signature for the Columbia contract (even though the Columbia deal was invalid to begin with).

Admin

• Administrator
  • Arwin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 09:40:19 PM »
  BTW - Is there a way to change "Carnival of Soul" to "Carnival of Sound" in the voting box? Thanks

Done . . . and added a third choice for Both.

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 05:33:59 AM »

[/quote]

The oldies and "Only A Boy" were not a good fit with the rest of the album.
[/quote]

That's true but I'm glad they were included. Many of the oldies were pre-accident productions and they sound good. When the Carnival of Sound album was released a few years ago, the critics raved about "In the Still of the Night". That's all I heard about from critics. But I still say the strongest cuts from Carnival are Fan Tan, Hawaii, and Girl, You're Blowin my Mind( the pre-accident backing track mainly)

Surf Route 101

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 07:42:14 PM »
  Hello Fellow Fans of Jan + Dean

A friend of mine had a bootleg version of Carnival of Sound many many years ago. For all I know it was an acetate - 10 songs I think. I thought it was Jan singing at the time. It is a good album, but how many folks were going to buy a psychedelic Jan + Dean album in 1968?

« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 08:30:07 PM by Surf Route 101 »

Moon Dawg

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 04:18:58 PM »
  "Fan Tan" has been in my head all day.