Author Topic: gold records  (Read 3037 times)

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
gold records
« on: May 10, 2016, 08:41:39 AM »
I'm a little confused. Lately I've heard that Jan & Dean have several gold records. I thought Surf City was the only one.
Does anyone know how many gold records Jan & Dean have?

Moon Dawg

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
Re: gold records
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 05:14:35 PM »
  I think "Surf City" is the only officially certified gold record in the J&D catalog. "The Little Old Lady from Pasadena" must be pretty close.

Actorman

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 01:38:00 PM »
Actually, "Surf City" was never certified gold by RIAA. For whatever reason, Liberty Records did not submit many of its albums or singles for sales certification during its classic period even though many of them would surely have been eligible. "The Witch Doctor" and "The Chipmunk Song" were both reported to have sold several million copies each, yet neither were officially certified. This was not uncommon at the time as Motown didn't certify anything until the mid-1980s when Lionel Richie's Can't Slow Down sold a gazillion copies and Motown wanted to hype that fact. Many of the independent labels like Liberty and Motown did not want to open their books to RIAA for review in order to get certifications. (And judging from all the royalties and accounting issues Mark describes in his book, this is not surprising.)

According to the RIAA database, the only certifications for Liberty Records prior to 1972 were:

Gary Lewis & The Playboys - "This Diamond Ring" single - Gold 4/28/67
Bobby Vee & The Strangers - "Come Back When You Grow Up" single - Gold 10/16/67
Gary Lewis & The Playboys - Golden Greats album - Gold 9/29/69
The Ventures - Golden Greats album - Gold 5/19/70
Ike & Tina Turner - "Proud Mary" single - Gold 5/6/71
The Ventures - Hawaii Five-O album - Gold 7/21/71

So, it appears that Liberty didn't certify anything prior to 1967, after Jan & Dean had already left the label. Considering that Liberty was sold to Transamerica Corporation in 1968, I can speculate that the first two on the list were possibly done for business reasons (to make the label look more attractive to potential buyers). I don't remember if "Doc Rock" Kelly discusses this in his book or not. It's been years since I read it.

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 07:11:37 PM »
Wow. Thanks Actorman. Great answer.