Author Topic: Mr. Custer covered By Dean Torrence and Mike Love??  (Read 3510 times)

Kann

• Ode
    • View Profile
Mr. Custer covered By Dean Torrence and Mike Love??
« on: April 12, 2016, 07:29:10 PM »
Have anyone heard of this version of Mr Custer covered by Mike & Dean? Its very good and interesting! What do you guys think? Do you have any information on this cover? sounds like it maybe from the Rock n Roll City time frame. https://youtu.be/7-kyQu4godo

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
Re: Mr. Custer covered By Dean Torrence and Mike Love??
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 05:37:59 AM »
I remember hearing it. I think I bought that cassette tape back then. I really don't think it's all that good, to be honest. lol

Kann

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 06:10:08 AM »
Have you ever heard of Mr Custer before though? I have never heard of Mike & Dean covering it. I don't think it was ever released?

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 09:37:01 AM »
you may be right. I may have heard the original. It's all a blur. lol

Moon Dawg

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 08:43:19 PM »
  Did Mike Love and Dean Torrence bring out the best in each other, artistically speaking? I think not, but the association seemed to offer both a respite from the trials and tribulations of their regular gigs.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Arwin
    • View Profile
    • jananddean-janberry.com
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 10:16:55 PM »
  Did Mike Love and Dean Torrence bring out the best in each other, artistically speaking? I think not, but the association seemed to offer both a respite from the trials and tribulations of their regular gigs.

Jan & Dean broke up and did not tour for a couple of years in '82 and '83. So Dean would not have been working with Jan anyway. Working with Mike Love gave Dean a chance to play some higher profile gigs than he was getting with his Bel Air Bandits band without Jan. And Dean did some other projects with Mike.

Moon Dawg

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 05:12:14 PM »
  Let's not forget the Mike & Dean alliance also gave us ROCK & ROLL CITY, a true milestone in the annals of Surf & California rock.   ;)

Surf Route 101

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 07:51:25 PM »
  Mike Love brings out the best in everyone, especially Brian Wilson. Mike is the living embodiment of the California Dream.

Moon Dawg

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 12:47:20 PM »
  Mike Love brings out the best in everyone, especially Brian Wilson. Mike is the living embodiment of the California Dream.

Sarcasm or legit opinion? Maybe both? Mike Love is underrated as a lyricist because he was originally left off the credits of several key songs. It's no accident, however, that Brian Wilson worked with people like Tony Asher and Van Dyke Parks as his music evolved. Brian did write his own lyrics as well. To paraphrase Tony Asher, "the general themes were Brian's and the actual word choices were mine."

At the end of the day, there would be no Beach Boys without Mike Love. But he does rankle at times. I'm happy Mike is "still standing" in 2016, still bringing the Endless Summer to people far and wide.