Author Topic: Jan Berry's Smile LP  (Read 7240 times)

Mike1965

• Ode
    • View Profile
Jan Berry's Smile LP
« on: November 15, 2015, 03:14:32 PM »
I truly believe that if Jan did not have his accident he would have come out with an album way better than Brian Wilson's Smile in 1967 to 1968 that would also have been far superior to Carnival of Sound. I think Jan's album  from this era would be so good it would make Sgt.  Pepper's look bad.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 03:31:20 PM by Mike1965 »

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
Re: Jan Berry's Smile LP
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 04:52:05 PM »
I would argue that Pop Symphony was that album.

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 08:13:40 PM »
I've always wondered how much was Jan and how much was George Tipton.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Arwin
    • View Profile
    • jananddean-janberry.com
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 10:28:55 PM »

With the oldies covers, I think Jan was paying a final homage to his R&B roots. (Brian Wilson had the Beach Boys cover a series of oldies a decade later).

I think "Girl, You're Blowing My Mind" is a good indication of where Jan was heading with the music. That song was begun before the car accident.

The oldies were used for the hodgepodge Carnival of Sound simply because the backing tracks had already been recorded. It was convenient and more cost effective to use them.

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 05:16:37 AM »
The backing track for Girl, You're Blowing my Mind is awesome! That's a pretty good indication that Jan still had some good ideas.

2dean2, from what I've read, Jan was the leader and producer of Pop Symphony and George helped him interpret. At least, that's what I've read on this site. So I'd say Pop Symphony was very much Jan's album. But we all need a little help along the way. Even Brian had some help.

Surf Route 101

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 07:54:59 PM »
Carnival of Sound is a good record that finally saw the light of day. SMiLE is a masterpiece for the ages.

Mike1965

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 08:01:42 PM »
I believe Carnival of Sound is better than Smile and Pet Sounds put together.

Moon Dawg

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 06:07:53 AM »
  I like CARNIVAL but IMO it is still missing a ride or two. What if when finally released SMILE had contained 4 or 5 oldies remakes or a Beach Boys' outtake from 1965 ( a la "Only A Boy")?  The puzzle would still have been missing some pieces.

Lately I've been trying to merge the nine "real" CARNIVAL tunes with some of RAINY DAY for a point/counterpoint album. I'll post the lineup if it ever gells.

BTW "Louisiana Man" is pretty cool.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 09:00:07 AM by Moon Dawg »

Moon Dawg

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 09:01:59 AM »

I think "Girl, You're Blowing My Mind" is a good indication of where Jan was heading with the music. That song was begun before the car accident.

Yes, the 3/31/66 instrumental version (final track) would have been a nifty mid 1966 single with vocals.

Surf Route 101

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 12:35:03 PM »

There are indeed differences between Jan + Dean and The Beach Boys that casual listeners overlook. In certain respects Jan + Dean seem "rougher" and "more masculine"...if that makes any sense.  J + D were more truly dedicated to the car culture than Brian & Co. Drag City does beat Little Deuce Coupe, if only by a hair.

Brian was into humor, but not to the extent of Jan + Dean. You won't find "Schlock Rod" on a Beach Boys' LP.

Having said that, Pet Sounds is a fully realized piece of work. And "Surf's Up" is one of the greatest songs of the 20th century.

None of these opinions diminish J + D in the least. They are American icons and Surf Rock heroes.

Moon Dawg

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 12:38:06 PM »

There are indeed differences between Jan + Dean and The Beach Boys that casual listeners overlook. In certain respects Jan + Dean seem "rougher" and "more masculine"...if that makes any sense.  J + D were more truly dedicated to the car culture than Brian & Co. Drag City does beat Little Deuce Coupe, if only by a hair.

Brian was into humor, but not to the extent of Jan + Dean. You won't find "Schlock Rod" on a Beach Boys' LP.

Having said that, Pet Sounds is a fully realized piece of work. And "Surf's Up" is one of the greatest songs of the 20th century.

None of these opinions diminish J + D in the least. They are American icons and Surf Rock heroes.

I more or less agree with this assessment. Jan & Dean albums of 63-64-65 are roughly on par with concurrent LPs by The Beach Boys, but Jan & Dean never made an album as good as PET SOUNDS or SMiLE. Jan's accident is of course a factor here. However, I'll take SAVE FOR A RAINY DAY and maybe CARNIVAL OF SOUND over FRIENDS . (And I like FRIENDS, btw. )

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 06:42:17 PM »
Again. I would argue that Jan's Pop Symphony would be his Smile. Jan and Deans albums from 63-64 are better than the BBs from that era. But in 65 the BBs started catching up. Pet Sounds was awesome! Smile was ok.

Moon Dawg

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 10:28:32 PM »
ALL SUMMER LONG (1964) is a superb album except for "Our Favorite Recording Sessions."

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 05:55:27 AM »
Yes, the BB albums started getting really good about that time. Dom Priore, who is an historian for Brian Wilson, admitted on Facebook that Jan was ahead of Brian during that 63-64 period.But Brian picked it up big time. I don't want to always compare Jan and Brian. I'm thankful for both. They've made my musical life so full with great sounds. Jan and Dean sort of started the California Sound in 1958-62. The Beach Boys brought it to a new level which Jan & Dean joined and had great success as well. Jan and Brian's collaborations were some of the best songs in the surf era. I think Brian peaked with Pet Sounds and Good Vibrations. Jan peaked with Pop Symphony, Anaheim, YRKHTHAG, and others. Although Save for a Rainy Day and Carnival were good albums, I don't think they were awesome. I also don't think Smile was that great! Anyway, that's my humble opinion.