Author Topic: Europe and The uk jan and dean fans  (Read 5689 times)

1Jay1

• Ode
    • View Profile
Europe and The uk jan and dean fans
« on: January 11, 2010, 07:26:03 AM »
Even though jan and dean never tour the uk,i knew jan visited london back in the 1970's,I wonder if he visited Ulverston the home of the Laurel and hardy Museum,as being a huge fan,

They did have a following through out Europe and the Uk,and Keith moon was one of the biggest jan and dean fans out there,he used to play jan and dean lps in his car blasting them out of his windows,I read this in his autobiography,

So to all the other jan and dean fans  What part of europe and the uk are you  from,

I m from Sunbury On Thames,(Near Kempton Park race course)

dutchie

• Arwin
    • View Profile
Re: Europe and The uk jan and dean fans
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 10:34:49 AM »
I am from the Netherlands  :)

surferbee

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 11:53:56 AM »
Once of London - now landlocked in Yorkshire.

MichaelB

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 03:40:37 PM »
I would love to see that Laurel & Hardy museum myself.  Growing up in the sixties we loved watching them on TV, usually on Saturday night on Channel 11 in Dallas.  It's a shame young people today have no idea who they were.  The humor was top notch and the stunts were amazing.  I read that Stan Laurel had a listed phone number in the last years of his life and would meet with fans. I wonder if Jan ever met him.

scooby1970

• Doré
  • Jan & Dean Researcher & Historian
    • View Profile
    • Jan & Dean Site
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 04:03:27 AM »
I'm a Welsh Coast man, always lived next to the sea (and the mountains as they are so close). Currently spending time between two locations, one in South Wales one in Mid-Wales.

:) Mark

surferbee

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 10:12:46 AM »
I completely missed Jan's visit to the UK in the seventies. What were the circumstances and do we know where / who he visited?

1Jay1

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 04:59:02 AM »
I don t know if he done any promotional work,but read in the Mark passmore book he came over on a visit,would love to know if there was any work done,I have emailed a few radio stations through the uk asking if jan berry ever done any interviews and i m getting nothing,

I m sure there must have been something done to promote jan and dean in the uk.

I ll start emailing a few Djs Ie tony blackburn,and a few more djs from the Era,see if anything comes up,I wonder if Pamela Macgregor would have any info on this,as i think she was with jan as his personnel Asstant around this time,also mark passmore would have some info as he wrote about this in his book,

If anyone has an email address for mark passmore could you email me it,and i ll look into it,

1Jay1

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 05:11:23 AM »
Just found the year was 1969-early 1970 and the trip was jan berry and pam Macregor and they also went to france as well as the uk,as it says jan kept using his french dictionary,also say jan had a great time on this trip,

Jan learned how to say"can you dig it " in french which it says was his favourite expression

Jan berry stayed on uk soil longer then Elvis