Author Topic: Co-lead vocal on Surf City  (Read 13376 times)

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
Co-lead vocal on Surf City
« on: May 21, 2014, 05:22:47 AM »
I know that Brian(and possibly Tony) were on lead with Jan on Surf City. But it appears to me from listening that it's just the verses. I only hear Jan on the part "we're goin to Surf City cause it's two to one, goin to Surf City gonna have some fun..."

am I on the right track here? I only hear Jan on the chorus. Does anyone hear co-leads on the chorus?

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
Re: Co-lead vocal on Surf City
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 12:09:25 PM »
I think Dean said he could only hear Brian on lead . Like he drowned out Jan.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Arwin
    • View Profile
    • jananddean-janberry.com
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 06:44:15 PM »
I think Dean said he could only hear Brian on lead . Like he drowned out Jan.

Silly Dean . . . you would have to be completely tone deaf to even think that about the lead vocals . . . let alone say it.

That was one of Dean's more bizarre-o statements to Doc Rock.

Moreover, Brian shed light on this many years ago in an interview. In describing how they doubled the lead vocal, Brian explained that Jan's voice was more prominent in the mix for obvious reasons. It wasn't a "Brian & Dean" record.

To answer jdman's question . . . I think they are doubling throughout; but it's certainly possible that Brian only sang on the verses.

M.

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 07:06:33 PM »
Thanks Mark. Yes, Jan is definitely the prominent voice on Surf City. I read that interview with Dean. I thought that was a weird thing to say. But he had just confessed to "not even being on the song Surf City". So I guess he wanted to downplay Jan's role too.
I think there was a time during the eighties where Jan & Dean just were not getting along and they both said things to Doc that was less than nice about the other. Dean said the above and Jan said that Dean didn't do anything, not sing , not anything. They definitely were going through a tough time. I'm glad they made it through that and continued on.

I'm going to listen again. I really only hear Jan on the chorus, but Brian could be there too. ???

Admin

• Administrator
  • Arwin
    • View Profile
    • jananddean-janberry.com
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 09:38:29 PM »

I listened again . . . and I can hear where you're coming from. It was 1963. My only hesitation is that I know of another famous song where Brian doubled with Jan on lead (concrete tape evidence), and on the released version, you can't differentiate between verse and chorus. Just sayin' . . .

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 05:06:10 AM »
are you referring to Drag City? That's a song that I only hear Jan on lead but it's possible there's another co-lead hidden a bit.

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 12:47:14 PM »
I'm sorry to say but I dont know what Brian's 63 NON Falesetto voice would sound like as Mike sung lead . I never got that about what Dean said either.  He also has said him and Brian doubled on Falasetto . But I hear it was Tony doubling himself . You can hear another "wail" building in the middle of the first. What a sound Jan really knew what he was doing . Proving as on SWS another Brian cowriten tune . The Arrangement is as important .

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 03:36:10 PM »
I'm sorry to say but I dont know what Brian's 63 NON Falesetto voice would sound like as Mike sung lead . I never got that about what Dean said either.  He also has said him and Brian doubled on Falasetto . But I hear it was Tony doubling himself . You can hear another "wail" building in the middle of the first. What a sound Jan really knew what he was doing . Proving as on SWS another Brian cowriten tune . The Arrangement is as important .

Yes, I agree. The arrangement and production is what made the songs.
I think Dean was talking about when he and Brian sang co-lead on Barbara Ann.
As far as Brian's co-leads with Jan, it was just for support. It's hard to hear how his or Tony's voice really sounds. It's a common thing to do. Gary Lewis almost always had vocal support with Ron Hiclin( I think).  All the Gary Lewis songs had double leads, but you hear Gary's voice the most. Paula Abdul did it as well.

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 07:08:12 PM »
 Yeah I understand Ted Nugent isnt the one singing on Cat Scratch Fever.
Dean has said that about the SC vocal BTY.

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 08:34:27 PM »
Oh, yes I believe I read somewhere that Dean said he and Brian did co-falsetto on SC. But he has also said that he wasn't on SC.
I'm pretty sure it was Tony on falsetto. It sounds like Tony. Brian did Surf CIty, here we come  part.

Moon Dawg

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 07:13:10 PM »
 Did Dean sing on "Surf City" ?

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 04:53:28 AM »
I don't think so Moon Dawg. He said he didn't. Then he changed his mind. If he is on Surf CIty, it's only in the background. I don't hear Dean.
That's not to say he wasn't important to that recording. It's still a Jan & Dean record. He sang it live and promoted it. Plus, I think Surf City would have been number 1 with or without Dean. He certainly sang well enough to make it just as good as it was.

Moon Dawg

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 06:29:06 AM »
  Interesting. Memories become murky over time. I knew Brian was doing the falsetto but figured Dean was in the mix somewhere; perhaps he is.

Similarly, there has been a lot of dispute as to who played on The Beach Boys' instrumental tracks. For years it was assumed that Dennis Wilson did very little studio drumming from "Little Deuce Coupe" through PET SOUNDS or SMILE, but Jon Stebbins corrected this misinformation. Turns out Dennis did a lot of stickwork 1963-65.

Getting back to Dean's singing, it would be interesting if the session credits were still around somewhere.

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 07:24:25 AM »
Moon Dawg, one correction. I don't think Brian did a lot of falsetto on Surf City except the part "Surf City, here we come". Brian doubles with jan on lead, at least throughout the verses. It's Tony from the Matadors that does most of the falsetto on that one.

Moon Dawg

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2014, 07:27:49 AM »
 Thx JDman. Again, I hear a falsetto on a Jan & Dean record and assume it must be Brian Wilson. Typical Beach Boys' fan, LOL.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 07:30:07 AM by Moon Dawg »