Author Topic: Gotta take that one last ride album?  (Read 3086 times)

Kann

• Ode
    • View Profile
Gotta take that one last ride album?
« on: May 02, 2014, 09:31:20 PM »
Hello,
I was wondering if any of you guys/gals consider this album a must have to complete your collection of albums or not? I notice that this album was under a separate sections in the Discography area. I always thought of it as more of a greatest hit more then anything so never bought one, and now I am starting to reconsider.

I was wondering if you guys consider this a new album or more of a greatest hits and why?

Actorman

• Doré
    • View Profile
Re: Gotta take that one last ride album?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 09:58:55 AM »
I've always considered it an essential album to have for a "complete" collection.  Although it is mainly a hits and album cuts compilation, the fact that it was very well done and not just thrown together as a "cash in" makes it part of the "core" albums in my opinion.  The packaging (designed by Dean) was very high quality and on par with any current release of day.  It even included a poster which shows that United Artists (Liberty's successor) thought highly of its potential.   Remember, The Beach Boys had taken a similar, double LP compiliation,  "Endless Summer," all the way to #1 around that time.

Also, I believe it is the only place to get "Sunshine Music" which may or may not be a must-have track depending on personal opinion.  (I personally love that song.)

So, I would argue that "Gotta Take..." as well as "The Anthology Album" are probably more important to a J&D album collection than even a few of the original Liberty-era albums such as "Golden Hits, Volume Three" or "Popsicle."   Those two were basically just  thrown together with little or no involvement from Jan or Dean.

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 04:48:39 AM »
I just bought this album yesterday at a record shop. I had no idea I would like it so much. Although there are 5 Beach Boy songs on it, which I usually don't want on a J&D compilation, it goes well with the theme of the album. The sound is great because it's in mono. the song Sunshine Music is surprisingly good and the new version of Gonna Hustle You is good too. The cover is awesome!

Does anyone know if this album sold well?

I can't believe I waited this long to buy this record. Good album!

Moon Dawg

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 02:08:38 PM »
  Used to see this one in the record stores when I was a kid. Somewhat a Jan & Dean equivalent to [iENDLESS SUMMER[/i] in the avoidance of a "Best of" title. Both this and the 1971 ANTHOLOGY are better than any Jan & Dean compilation currently available on CD, IMO.