Author Topic: Jan & Dean Archives Volume 1 and 2 on amazon  (Read 15571 times)

1WALLY1

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
Re: Jan & Dean Archives Volume 1 and 2 on amazon
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2014, 08:12:43 AM »
Thanks for that war and peace entry So you're telling me that Silver Summer was recorded in 78 is this correct, The McParland books can't help you out on that one.
Abba,after hearing Fernando at number 1 for eight weeks in the land of Oz I almost wanted to end it all by riding my skateboard down Kippax Street.
Old 55 not my bag too Aussie sounding but great version of looking for an echo.
Girl From Zanzibar as soon as possible please.
The Archives books I might get them r they really bad quality and who is this Gary.
Cheers
1WALLY1

BlackSea

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 09:02:29 AM »
Wally old boy what Im saying is that some of the Silver Summer sides may have been recorded as early as 78.
Stick with Deans Jvc album its the best out of the lot from the rerecordings. as for some of the others Jennie Lee bluegrass version I like that one.
The Quality of the books arent too good but readable for the most part.
Until next time can you hear the drums Fernando.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:08:29 AM by BlackSea »

sunny13

• Ode
    • View Profile
    • FB fan site
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 10:16:25 PM »
I have been looking for a copy of the book ' Torrence of Berry'd Treasure' by Stephen McParland, however, it has been difficult.  I have e-mailed him and he would had sold me a copy for over $130 and still had to pay for shipping cost from Australia.   I will keep looking.  Btw. I was told by Gary Zenker today, that he is working on another Jan and Dean book, Volume 3. 

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 11:32:45 PM »
I have been looking for a copy of the book ' Torrence of Berry'd Treasure' by Stephen McParland, however, it has been difficult.  I have e-mailed him and he would had sold me a copy for over $130 and still had to pay for shipping cost from Australia.   I will keep looking.  Btw. I was told by Gary Zenker today, that he is working on another Jan and Dean book, Volume 3.

Ask Gary why he's not publishing the books under his own name :)

BlackSea

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2014, 01:27:55 AM »
Sunny13 I think the $110 might have been for the single hardback edition that included all four books. I brought mine individually ended up costing more.
I dont think Zenker is Garys correct surname for obvious reasons.
Like I said I dont think you need the Torrence of Berryd treasure books youve already got the first one in the archives. Just the first two see attached.

Surfin Again

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2014, 01:35:22 AM »
I dont think Zenker is Garys correct surname
'course it is

BlackSea

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2014, 01:43:36 AM »
Well I stand corrected I thought it might have been a play on the Gary Zekley. Like the Berry Torrence name. Lol. Hey you know anything about the  78 re recordings if theyre linked ti Silver Summer

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2014, 06:41:26 AM »
BlackSea, I don't think the recordings are the same for Silver Summer and the 77 re-recordings. It's been awhile since I heard either the Silver Summer album or the K-tel stuff, but I remember them being different. I think Silver Summer had guest singers like Mike Love. I don't think there is any connection.

BlackSea

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2014, 08:29:26 AM »
Yeah I've trying to post the two articles one from may 78 and the other from Nov 78. couldn't get em posted file to big anyway the way I read it was that the 77 re recordings were had been completed and ready for release and after the movie had been shown they had decided to do another lot of rerecordings. The mention of the rerecordings of Like a Summer rain in 78 after the airing of the movie has thrown me off.

1WALLY1

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2014, 06:38:53 AM »
Black Sea have a read of the post from Aljolson59 under The 77 re recordings discussion. Mentions the Silver Summer tracks being recorded in 78. What songs are listed in the interview with Jim Armstrong.
How's Girl In Zanzibar coming along.
Are you able to post the interview.
Cheers

surferbee

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2014, 03:46:06 AM »
Reading this and looking on Amazon US I wonder if I have quite a lot of the originals. Is anyone able to list the contents of the two volumes?
Thanks

Daring move

• Arwin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2015, 03:40:47 PM »
I guess I am very late in seeing this.
Volume three was published and is issues 1-20 of Sunshine Music. As for the quality...remember that I needed to scan the items into the computer. move things from color to black and white, try to add contrast where the original might have been a copy to begin with. I would say that the quality overall is good. Not perfect but good.