Author Topic: Jan & Dean Archives Volume 1 and 2 on amazon  (Read 15023 times)

burton

• Doré
    • View Profile
Jan & Dean Archives Volume 1 and 2 on amazon
« on: February 18, 2014, 07:47:48 PM »
I just got these books for my birthday. They are on amazon for 18.89 a piece. Check them out. Not sure who did them but its a nice addition to my J&D collection. Its photo copies from fanzines over the years from b4 and after the accident. The 66 tour book that you see on jans corvette from the accident is in it as well. It's always nice to have something new to look at concerning J&D. Nice shiny covers in color. I also just picked up a copy of the Rolling Stone Paul Morantz article. Anyway check them out if you can. B

Admin

• Administrator
  • Arwin
    • View Profile
    • jananddean-janberry.com
Re: Jan & Dean Archives Volume 1 and 2 on amazon
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 08:13:37 PM »
Looks kinda like the Alan Clark approach, on a larger scale.

The author is listed as "Torrence Berry" . . . except on the actual book covers . . . . LMAO.

"Torrence Berry" and Gary Zenker are credited for "The Beach Boys Archives Volume 1"
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 08:16:12 PM by admin »

Surfin Again

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 08:24:54 PM »
Stardom at last!!!

I finally made it to a book

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 08:57:54 PM »
So you've already ordered this Surfin Again?  (Congratulations!, by the way)

Has anyone else, too, besides Burton?  WHY haven't we heard of this till tonight...looks like they were out late last year.  Maybe i missed this before. 

COOOOL!!!!   ...i just ordered (can hardly wait!)   ...AND also Dean II's new movie with Dean I and daughters singing!!  Plus all the music from The Bamboo Trading Company

:)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 09:02:58 PM by maryw7 »

burton

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 10:03:54 PM »
if I may ask Mark? what is the Alan Clark approach? they have a J&D book by Alan Clark but its 50 bux on amazon. Anyway im happy with this purchase. I searched on amazon after the holidays and found these books and my wife wanted to get me something I liked so I let her purchase them for me. All the HARDCORE fans probably already have this stuff. I just wish someone would do like a 10 or 12 disc Box Set. Early stuff, outtakes and newer stuff too. Oh and a LEGIT Deadman's movie would be nice too. b

Admin

• Administrator
  • Arwin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 10:49:23 PM »
if I may ask Mark? what is the Alan Clark approach? they have a J&D book by Alan Clark but its 50 bux on amazon. Anyway im happy with this purchase. I searched on amazon after the holidays and found these books and my wife wanted to get me something I liked so I let her purchase them for me. All the HARDCORE fans probably already have this stuff. I just wish someone would do like a 10 or 12 disc Box Set. Early stuff, outtakes and newer stuff too. Oh and a LEGIT Deadman's movie would be nice too. b

Alan Clark issued a couple of similar (but smaller) volumes in 1981 and 1993.

Burton, do us a favor . . . look at the Forewords in the books . . . where the guy talks about his mom . . . and tell us who wrote the the Forewords.

I noticed a "We" . . . as in "We" compiled an archive of copyrighted material . . . What sort of credits are listed, other than "White Lightning Press"?

« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 11:03:22 PM by admin »

burton

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 12:57:11 AM »
Hey Mark,

The book has no other credits. just says it was printed in USA Lexington, KY.
isbn # 9780989334440 volume 1  and isbn #9780989334464 vol 2.  then all scans of fanzines and different articles through the years. What you see on amazon is all that is listed in both forewards. Hope it helps. Its a nice collection of stuff. b

Actorman

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 10:50:15 AM »
Thanks for the heads up on these.  I try to search for books on Jan and Dean a couple times a year just to see if there is anything, but somehow I missed these.  They look really cool.  I love seeing old ads and articles and stuff.  I wish there were books like this for more singers and groups.

I just ordered both volumes.  Can't wait until they arrive.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Arwin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 04:58:02 PM »

I have every single issue of Doc's "Sunshine Music" . . . and various examples of others . . . Good stuff.

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 04:24:00 AM »
Sunshine Music! I still have all those issues in my attic. That was the first time I read a Dean interview where he stated that he did not sing on Surf City.
It was an outrage! Doc Rock pretty much had to dedicate the next issue on explaining that. I listened to Surf City over and over again after that and compared it to other songs. The falsetto was very different. After that, I found out that many other groups used outside help to record songs. It was a revelation! I had no idea that went on until that issue of Sunshine Music.

BlackSea

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 07:15:07 AM »
just got these two volumes. lots of adds and several fanzines. Quality not to good for photos beats not having them. Volume 2 half the book is the Stephen McParland Torrence of buried treasures volume 1. Some early fanzines, Ripped Baggies. Some of these were around even before the movie came out. Great interview with Jim armstrong and mark ward in one of the ripped baggies fanzines, they talk about jans reaction to Richard hatches acting in certain scenes. Some of the fanzines have a vinyl sale list lots of acetates from jans collection going for20 25$ probably worth a mint now.
Unusual to find out that the rerecorded verion of Like a summer rain and Jennie Lee (bluegrass version) where recorded in 1978 as they are mentioned in a Nov 78 issue of the ripped baggies fanzine. Surfin Again one of your fanzines is in there two issue with picture of j n d with the nrw little old lady.
Overall worth buying.
Same isbn numbers on my copies but printed in San bernadino 2014 february. Intro forward guy talks about mom and dad driving him to deans house. no name at end. see attached.
Until next time .
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 08:56:52 AM by BlackSea »

1WALLY1

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 03:24:49 AM »
Black sea Jennie Lee and Like A Summer Rain 1978 is there any further information or have you misread it somewhere in the book. Have you got the Girl In Zanzibar yet.
Cheers
1WALLY1

sunny13

• Ode
    • View Profile
    • FB fan site
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 04:04:38 AM »
I also got both of the books a few days ago.  And I agree with Blacksea's comments.  I wish the pictures and some of the copies were more clear;  however, the books do have good detailed info.  So, it kinda fills in some of the blanks for me.  The price is good, so to my opinion it's worth  to buy.   I also have been watching for new books about Jan & Dean on market.

BlackSea

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 07:46:35 AM »
Sunny13 I recommend the Stephen McParland books Vol 1 and 2 The Grand High Potentates, pretty much covers Jan And Dean up until the Carnival Of Sound. Most people use these as reference books for J & D thats were I get 99% of my information lol. Good reference books but  author sometimes carrys on about third party links, I got alot more info about the Mamas and the Papas that I really didnt need to know. No need to get his other two books youve already got one in archives volume 2 the other is a manuscript for the J and D movie from 66 bout as interesting as watching paint dry lol. But the first two books are in my opinion the only thing that covers J and D recording history from the 50s to 60s with minimal error.
Wally old boy your killing me had to find the pages with the info. Here goes, A early edition of the ripped baggies fanzine states that a soundtrack for Deadmans Curve movie had been completed including Jennie Lee and Baby talk, that is the J and D Story recordings and the Dean songs Get a Job, I only have eyes. Theres a photo of the proposed cover of the album on the front cover of the second volume of the books with Dean, color photo from my last post. In the later issue of the same fanzine Jim Armstrong upon being interviewed, in 78, statesthat theyve recut the whole album with j and d on Jennie Lee Bluegrass versionand Dean doing Like a summer rain and Mike Love doing some, It sounds like these recut versions found there way onto Silver Summer  lp and Deans Jvc lp and some Mike and dean releases. The bluegrass Jennie Lee on Deans Anthology with a date of 1985

BlackSea

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 07:57:57 AM »
The Girl From Zanzibar shipped out from Canada on the 4th should receive it soon. You should get the Archives books some of its a crack up the guy who puts together the ripped baggies fanzine has a fondness to Abbas Take A Chance On Mr lol. Im still trying to forget the song.
The bloke whos put these books together has a first name of Gary the 66 Fan Magazine is signed by Dean to him.
Wally theres a skateboard song on Old 55s Take it Greasy Lp and a pretty good version of New girl in School and the best version of Looking for an echo.
Until next time, stay away from Abba records and keep listening to J and D.