Author Topic: Jan and Dean Outside Projects Pre 66  (Read 29641 times)

BlackSea

• Ode
    • View Profile
Re: Jan and Dean Outside Projects Pre 66
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 12:54:14 PM »
Lol dude. Shoulda stuck with the McParland book the guys never wrong. I'm in the same boat as you. McParland states that Arnies not on this but I got swayed like you when I started reading various articles claiming they were unrealeased tracks.
Lol dude. I was gonna jump in when you posted but too late. Hey we still got the Emerald City unconfined as yet.
Lol dude

1WALLY1

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 01:09:00 PM »
Should have stuck with McParland. Sometimes MIU happens.

Cheers
1WALLY1

BlackSea

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 03:04:53 PM »
1WALLY1, your identity and name has been brought to my  attention. I'm from the Shire I know a close friend of yours. I'll pass on my contact details onto her to pass onto you. I think I know what youre trying to do in regards to compiling odss and ends in the Jan and Dean catalogue. I've already done this with neat covers. I'll be more than happy to pass them onto you. My informant tells me your a LAW abiding citizen pardon the pun.
LOL

1WALLY1

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 03:54:25 PM »
How do Black Sea thats a bit of a concern. I think I know who you're taking about. She looks at the discussion board often but not registered. If you could do that thatll be cool. If you got all the Ode AM stuff on one Cd that'll be cool. I was planning on including some of the unreleaed songs from this period. If you got that included thats what I'm after. Same goes for the period inbetween Dore and Liberty.
Thanks, once I get your contact details I'll call you. If you got a shady past cant help youtheres an integrity issue there. LOL.
Cheers
1WALLY1

BlackSea

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2014, 06:09:27 PM »
1WALLY1 if you still got any doubts about the Arnie recordings check out  the post Arnie GINSBERG. Smjwalsh worked it out. Seems to make more sense than the McPARLAND entry.
Post dated Feb 2011.

1WALLY1

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2014, 04:20:07 AM »
Hi Black Sea yeah read the post thru there I found the site for Alan Burn and his various recordings and an image of the single same one on this post. Listened to a few of the other tracks on there I'm convinced. However, what is concerning is that there are quite a few people who have claimed to have interviewed Arnie. You would think as a result this dilemma with this single would have been resolved via the interview process. I mean Arnie has less than say 10 recordings and one of the obvious questions would be to ask questions pertaining to the songs he's been linked to such as Catching Spies to confirm or omit from his perceived catalogue of recordings. Which makes me wonder the validity of these so called interviews. I've come accross several texts whereby the author has claimed to have had an interview with Arnie and then proceed to list Cathys Crying Heart/Catching Spies as part of his recording output. Instead someone has put the matter to rest by accidently coming accross something on the web to confirm the origins of a song. And for that I thank you smjwalsh who ever you may be.

Cheers
1WALLY1

BlackSea

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2014, 04:46:34 AM »
Hear Here 1WALLY1 never be fooled by the written text until you sight the only thing that matters hard core vinyl. LOL Dude
Dude I know your meaning the guys got a handfuls of songs credited to him you'd think the first thing you'd ask him is questions relating to a few songs not to hard.
Makes you think have these people really interviewed the person or have they printed bogus information lifted from other sources. One could easily say yeah I contacted Don Drowty spoke to him and he said yeah Dean helped me out with the vocals. When your reading a so called one on one interview in the written text with no other sources other than the written text, the validity and rep of the interviewer needs to be established. Amen

Admin

• Administrator
  • Arwin
    • View Profile
    • jananddean-janberry.com
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2014, 12:54:57 PM »
Hi Black Sea yeah read the post thru there I found the site for Alan Burn and his various recordings and an image of the single same one on this post. Listened to a few of the other tracks on there I'm convinced. However, what is concerning is that there are quite a few people who have claimed to have interviewed Arnie. You would think as a result this dilemma with this single would have been resolved via the interview process. I mean Arnie has less than say 10 recordings and one of the obvious questions would be to ask questions pertaining to the songs he's been linked to such as Catching Spies to confirm or omit from his perceived catalogue of recordings. Which makes me wonder the validity of these so called interviews. I've come accross several texts whereby the author has claimed to have had an interview with Arnie and then proceed to list Cathys Crying Heart/Catching Spies as part of his recording output. Instead someone has put the matter to rest by accidently coming accross something on the web to confirm the origins of a song. And for that I thank you smjwalsh who ever you may be.

Cheers
1WALLY1

Who are the "quite a few people" who have claimed to interview Arnie?

I only know of three people who have interviewed Arnie (including myself). When I interviewed him, at length, he discussed his post-Jan & Arnie recordings, but the Alan Burn songs were not among them.

The confusion got started because Frank Kisko -- a longtime serious Jan & Dean collector -- got hold of an uncredited acetate; and apparently decided it sounded like Arnie, and might be one of his unreleased recordings. He shared that idea with McParland., who mentioned it, but stopped short of saying it was Arnie.

Other fans took the ball and ran with it, posting videos, etc.

But the Tuesday disc erases all doubt.

1WALLY1

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2014, 01:39:15 PM »
Well thats the part that doesnt make sense. You claim you intrrviewed Arnie Ginsburg at length. Just looking at the post on this site you appear to be extremely eager to resolve the matter. If you've interviewed Arnie at lengh it just doesnt add up that you wouldnt ask about the single that so many are scrutinising.

Salzburg Surf Scene

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2014, 01:48:37 PM »
Other fans took the ball and ran with it, posting videos, etc.

Ha ha... that'd be the videos I put on Youtube a couple of years back!!

To be fair, at the time that was the prevailing view. I would go and change the video titles, but since Google bought up Youtube I haven't been able to log on to my old account. Having said that, they are great songs, and so I don't mind them being attributed to Arnie. Future historians will credit the songs to Arnie 'cos of my videos! In fact, thinking about it, I'll go and post videos attributing Pet Sounds and Rubber Soul to him (I've never been convinced by the musical claims of Wilson and that Mccartney fellow...).

1WALLY1

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2014, 02:04:01 PM »
Yeah the videos possibly influenced a lot of people and the fact that they started appearing on bootlegs. But let's be honest here the Stephen McPARLAND books have been in publication since 2000 and I can't  understand how someone who conducts an at length interview with Arnie wouldn't ask him a simple question pertaining to these songs to clear the matter up.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Arwin
    • View Profile
    • jananddean-janberry.com
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2014, 03:03:49 PM »
Yeah the videos possibly influenced a lot of people and the fact that they started appearing on bootlegs. But let's be honest here the Stephen McPARLAND books have been in publication since 2000 and I can't  understand how someone who conducts an at length interview with Arnie wouldn't ask him a simple question pertaining to these songs to clear the matter up.

You are clueless . . . My interview with Arnie Ginsburg took place before the McParland books were even published. Arnie discussed his few later recordings with me; and that's what I go on.

Frank Kisko's acetate came to light subsequently. This kind of stuff is common among collectors and bootleggers. They "speculate" on stuff without doing any research, and it gets spread around. The bootleg liners for "Carnival of Sound" are hilariously inaccurate, for example.

For a while, posted online, there was a bogus disc label image for "Girl, You're Blowing My Mind" showing the songwriter as Pierre Hunt. Not only did Hunt not write the song, but the disc image was "Photoshopped" to look authentic, based on the bogus bootleg liners.

Pierre Hunt was a soul artist who wrote and performed a song called "You're Blowing My Mind," which was released on the Golden Wheels label in 1975. But based on title alone, the bootleggers just ran with him being the writer of Jan's song.  It's mind-boggling.

1WALLY1

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2014, 03:20:52 PM »
Well you needed to state that in your initial response not after the fact. That's a bit hostile of you "clueless" but seems to run thru all your threads. Well I'll wait till you publish your interview and if its informative as you claim it is , I'll send an apology your way.

BlackSea

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2014, 03:29:54 PM »
Wally this one looks like its gonna turn into a royal rumble I've got your back dude. Keep guard up at all times

1WALLY1

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2014, 03:34:12 PM »
Will do Black Sea, I've got it covered man.