Author Topic: Jan & Arnie question  (Read 5713 times)

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
Jan & Arnie question
« on: August 02, 2013, 11:37:39 AM »
I'm a little confused. I'd like to know what the A side was on Jan & Arnie's last single.  I love Linda or the Beat that Can't Be Beat.
I thought it was Linda but lately I've heard that Jan & Arnie were promoting the Beat pretty heavy.

Mark A. Moore

Re: Jan & Arnie question
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 10:06:26 PM »
Jan & Arnie performed "The Beat That Can't Be Beat" on The Jack Benny Show in 1958 . . . so there's your answer.

But "I Love Linda" did have the earlier master number . . . 21529 vs. 21530.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 10:09:46 PM by Mark A. Moore »

1Jay1

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 03:32:18 PM »
Is there any film footage of Jan and arnie doing this??

sunny13

• Ode
    • View Profile
    • FB fan site
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 06:12:46 PM »
I was wondering the same.  Is there a way to purchase the Season 9 from the Jack Benny Show?  I could be wrong on this, but I believe that Jan and Arnie were on the Jack Benny Show, October 19, 1958 ("The Millionaire"). 

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 07:51:09 PM »
That is correct Sunny. I watch Jack Benny on Sunday mornings sometimes. Hoping that the Millionaire episode plays. Unfortunately, it's usually a 60's episode. I'd love to see it. I've been listening to Jan & Arnie a lot lately. I think they were actually more original than the early Jan & Dean stuff. Jan & Arnie had some awesome rockers. I haven't seen any footage of them at all. Hopefully soon, there will be some footage.

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 11:14:27 PM »

The footage exists.

We tried to get it for the 2002 Jan & Dean episode of A&E's Biography. The Benny archive is at UCLA, but because of some restriction by the Benny estate, they would not allow the Jan & Arnie footage to be used for the documentary.

But you can go to UCLA in person and view it.

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 08:33:06 PM »
The music really changed with Dean . They started singing more to you than to each other.
Gas Money , Gotta Get a Date.

ripplewine

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 09:24:14 AM »
                                       The footage exists.

We tried to get it for the 2002 Jan & Dean episode of A&E's Biography. The Benny archive is at UCLA, but because of some restriction by the Benny estate, they would not allow the Jan & Arnie footage to be used for the documentary.

But you can go to UCLA in person and view it.

I'd been trying to find this episode, also.  It seems strange that the Jack Benny estate would withhold some of the shows and not others.  A number of his radio and TV episodes from the 1940s, '50s, and '60s have seen large-scale official release.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 09:33:48 AM by ripplewine »

sunny13

• Ode
    • View Profile
    • FB fan site
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 08:49:44 PM »
 Like a fool,  I have ordered recently all of the Jack Benny lost episodes , which would cover all these years (50, 60, ..).  However, the one with Jan & Arnie was not in it.  If they gave a better description, then I wouldn't bought it.   What a waste of money, that's speaking for myself.  Anyway, don't buy that one... it's not on there.  I don't get why there is not a footage of a concert  These guys were amazing and that's like 10 years before I was born.   I am definitely not giving up  of searching.