Author Topic: Charts  (Read 3327 times)

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
Charts
« on: August 12, 2013, 07:34:00 AM »
I found a great site that shows charts for different radio stations across the country. It doesn't tell the whole story because not every station had a chart. But it gives you a good idea of how Jan & Dean did in different areas. Unfortunately for me, Louisiana did not have a chart in the 60's as far as I can tell, but Baby Talk was top 10 in New Orleans in 1959. Vancouver, BC, Canada was a HUGE market for Jan N Dean. Check this out:

http://www.las-solanas.com/arsa/charts_view.php?svid=21267

Julie was top 10 at this Vancouver station

Here's the link to all Jan & Dean hits:

http://www.las-solanas.com/arsa/artists_item.php?rtid=2884

sunny13

• Ode
    • View Profile
    • FB fan site
Re: Charts
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 04:25:38 PM »
Very interesting!  Can't believe that some songs had "0".  I love them all of course (some a little more than others.    ;D   Thanks for sharing jdman!

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 05:36:32 PM »
Yeah Sunny-very interesting. I don't think the 0 means that the song didn't get played, it just means it didn't get on any surveys for the stations that actually had a survey. For instance, I'm from Louisiana. Everybody I've talked to growing up said that they remember Jan & Dean's Linda very well. However, there is no Louisiana station that had Linda on their top 40 or top 25, whatever their survey was. There is no doubt that Linda got played a lot down here. Too many people remember it. So maybe the stations that played it didn't do a survey or maybe all these people tuned into the Chicago or Dallas stations and heard it there. Whatever the case, I know Linda was played here. Fun Fun Fun by the Beach Boys is not on a Louisiana survey-same thing. It definitely got played. 

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 09:34:25 PM »

The J&D Sessionography book will provide insight on how J&D charted in major markets -- West Coast, Midwest, and East Coast. Also a sampling from overseas.

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 06:18:50 PM »
Cool Mark. The regional success is very interesting. Being from Louisiana, it's interesting to me that Baby Talk was the only Jan & Dean record to crack the top 10 in New Orleans. Looking very forward to the sessionography and biography.

Bitman

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 11:12:59 AM »
I've found that some additional J&D songs charted in other national listings such as Record World and the Billboard Bubbling Under charts.  For example, Dean's 1976 Sidewalk Surfin' remake went to #107 on the Billboard Bubbling Under chart and Freeway Flyer made it to #109 in Record World

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 12:01:47 PM »
Both of those songs are on some radio station's survey charts. Freeway Flyer did a lot better than I thought. Sidewalk Surfin 1976 was huge in San Diego