Author Topic: Surf City — Rolling Stone, Best Summer Songs of All Time  (Read 5762 times)

Mark A. Moore

Surf City — Rolling Stone, Best Summer Songs of All Time
« on: July 06, 2013, 08:32:25 PM »

"Surf City" has been ranked #17 on Rolling Stone's 2013 "Best Summer Songs of All Time."

"The summer song is one of rock's truest pleasures, be it a dance jam that dominates every backyard cookout or a sweet ode to cars, girls and partying at the beach. Here are our picks for the most sizzling summer jams ever – from unshakeable oldies to classic hip-hop, from hard-rock to indie-rock, from the Go-Gos to Daft Punk. School's out, and it's time to get down, get sunburned and get lucky."

By Jon Dolan and Joe Gross

burton

• Dorι
    • View Profile
Re: Surf City — Rolling Stone, Best Summer Songs of All Time
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 09:57:07 AM »
Wow so cool

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 05:07:39 PM »
It's always great when Jan & Dean get recognized. Surf City is definitely one of the biggest and best summer songs of all time! This article comes at a good time for me because Starbucks put out a surfing CD. Zero Jan & Dean. Only one Beach Boy song. I saw it today when I got coffee. So I'm glad Rolling Stone gives them credit.

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 07:51:34 PM »
Jan & Dean get left out of so much stuff. Doo Wop is one .
And Singer Song Writer is another.
How many songs did  "The Beatles" have in the top 5 ?

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 03:29:51 AM »
The Beatles had 30 top 5 records in America as of 1986( my billboard book ends there).
Good point on the DooWop and Singer Songwriter comments. Jan Berry co-wrote a lot of songs but I guess the phrase singer songwriter refers to story songs like Harry Chapin , Bob Dylan, etc. But Jan & Dean were singers and songwriters( well mostly Jan).

The Doo Wop comment is true too. I see many writers say that Jan & Dean started out singing Doo Wop stuff but never see them on a Doo Wop compilation.

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 06:22:49 PM »
Thanks for the info jdman . I was actually thinking of the summer song list. They seem to find a way for the "Beatles to be top 5 on every list . Opera , Country, RAP LOL. Thinking  Jimmy Buffet was #1 with his crappy song .
Jan very much need to be in the singer/songwriter as Jan wrote  as many hit's as most included there.
Doo Wop they would have to acknowledge J&D  was a Musical Force before Brian Wilson.