Author Topic: Jan Berry Drafted  (Read 6986 times)

Mike1965

• Ode
    • View Profile
Jan Berry Drafted
« on: December 01, 2013, 02:34:20 PM »
In the movie Deadman's Curve, the Jan & Dean story, Jan gets upset because he is drafted, jumps in his Stingray and speeding down the road hits a parked  truck.  Did the event take place in real life like it did in the movie?  Jan was a smart guy.  There had to be half a dozen ways he could have gotten out of the draft.  I can't imagine getting drafted caused the accident.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 08:23:00 PM by Mike1965 »

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
Re: Jan Berry Drafted
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 06:10:20 AM »
I'm pretty sure that was Hollywood drama. I don't think it was like that. The draft may have been on his mind along with his breakup with Jill and the TV deal. Plus he was trying to be a doctor. There was so much going on in his life at the time, I think I would have just exploded from stress.
I'm pretty sure Jan had a lawyer working on the draft thing.

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 03:33:10 AM »
Did you ever see Jan & Dean on talk shows in 1978 addressing this issue?  There's your best answer to this

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 04:25:20 AM »
Hey Mary, Happy Thanksgiving to you too. Thanks for posting Turkey Trot. I have one comment about the 1978 interviews. I find that Jan & Dean's answers at that time seem to match the movie. The movie just came out and it appeared to me that they were trying to be consistent with the movie. I'm not saying the answers were not true. For instance, I remember Jan saying that the movie was accurate ( Mike Douglas??, one of those). But later on, Jan said that it was fiction. Dean later admitted that some of the scenes may not have been completely accurate, but didn't say that in 1978

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 05:27:56 AM »
Here's the interview that Mary referred to. Thank you for this Mary. Great Interview!

Part 1 Jan & Dean - special, special interview - Mike Douglas - October 1978

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 09:17:38 PM »

The movie was highly fictionalized. It doesn't matter what either one of them said while promoting it in 1978 (especially Jan). Historical documentation proves the  film to be a typical Hollywood treatment at best, and a gross distortion at worst.

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 09:02:54 AM »
Mark, is there any chance that someone would make an accurate movie about Jan Berry and Jan & Dean? Probably not, but that would be great! I think there was enough drama and good music to interest even the young people that don't remember them.

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 12:43:30 PM »
Thought: 

When i posted, i ought to have said " Have you seen the interviews after 1966 of Jan & Dean"  as there are more than just the 1978 (October) Mike Douglas...such as Dinah in 1979 and Hour Magazine in early 90's

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 08:11:48 PM »
Mark, is there any chance that someone would make an accurate movie about Jan Berry and Jan & Dean? Probably not, but that would be great! I think there was enough drama and good music to interest even the young people that don't remember them.

I doubt it . . . Not anytime soon . . . More accurate history needs to be revealed in print first . . . Workin' on it.

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 07:59:59 AM »
Yeah in one of those he calls his accident. A "Head On Collision" . And Dean never corrects him. Would've been a good time to show how much the Brain damage had done to Jan.

sunny13

• Ode
    • View Profile
    • FB fan site
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 09:20:11 AM »
 I was reading somewhere that Jan was upset leaving from a business meeting.  He learned the the US Army planned to draft him upon his graduation.  I assume within a couple months.  There are so many stories - this statement could be wrong. 
Mark, can you please give us an update on your book? Can we pre-order it?