Author Topic: Best versions?  (Read 3807 times)

surferbee

• Ode
    • View Profile
Best versions?
« on: October 23, 2012, 12:52:39 PM »
WE have written before about the problem of new listeners hearing the remakes rather than the original sixties recording but I want to pose another variant of the same problem. I was listening to the two CD version of Golden Hits (an odd compilation in itself as the sources are a strange mix!) These are of course the sixties originals but we have a number of different versions out there - mono and stereo obviously - but different mixes and edits. Most obviously Drag City, Surf City, I Found a Girl. I am not even talking about the remasters. These seem to be different mixes (sometimes quite subtle). I am thinking of creating yet another Jan and Dean mix and, if I had the time, I would like to select the best versions. Any thoughts?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Arwin
    • View Profile
    • jananddean-janberry.com
Re: Best versions?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 01:59:57 PM »

Surferbee,

Can you list the different versions and perceived differences in the mixes, etc. . . . and their sources?

This will allow people to easily identify the variants, then listen to them, and offer their opinions.

Just a thought . . .

M.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Arwin
    • View Profile
    • jananddean-janberry.com
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 02:00:57 PM »

I FOUND A GIRL -- I prefer the single version over the album version.

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 06:29:54 AM »
The best versions I've heard have to be from the Liberty Singles CD from Collectors Choice. They are in the form that Jan really intended for AM radio-mono. The one exception would have to be When I Learn How to Cry. That one sounds better in Stereo.

Ban n Bean

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 11:05:41 PM »
Just my opinions: I think the current Japan-market CDs are the best remasters of those albums.  Popsicle on Sundazed is great.  The recent-ish UK issue of "Folk And Roll" is the best.  The remaining (by default) would be the One Way.  I don't have the Bam-Caruso of "Batman".

Before the Japan versions I would the older C5 versions.

The remixes on the EMI two-fer "Ride.." and "Little 'ol..." are very revealing and quiet.  The "From Surf City..." 2 CD set on EMI is a real treasure trove of remixes, extended mixes, alternates, etc.