Author Topic: October 1978  (Read 6719 times)

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
October 1978
« on: October 25, 2012, 10:10:47 PM »
Mike Douglas had the privilege in October 1978 (34 years ago) to reintroduce Jan & Dean to the public via television explaining their LONG absence:

PART ONE Part 1 Jan & Dean - special, special interview - Mike Douglas - October 1978

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
Re: October 1978
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 02:54:28 AM »
I remember this well. A friend of mine called me and said to hurry and put it on Mike Douglas.  He said that group from the movie is on. I remember analyzing how they looked. I found that Dean looked a lot like the actor(Bruce Davidson). Anyway, it was very exciting to see the real Jan & Dean on TV. Thanks for posting Mary.

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 06:28:58 AM »

Love it.

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 05:29:17 PM »
I wonder why Dean didnt "correct" Jan when he said  Head on Collision ? Jan's condition sorry to say makes me wonder about things he said over the years . That people may take as fact about his relationship with Dean. Not that it's wrong mind you . Just makes you wanna check other sources. Neutral people not ones that wanna say it was ME Not Dean that did this or that . Hope to see your stuff you have coming up soon Mark That'l tell the real story.

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 09:29:01 PM »
I wonder why Dean didnt "correct" Jan when he said  Head on Collision ? Jan's condition sorry to say makes me wonder about things he said over the years . That people may take as fact about his relationship with Dean. Not that it's wrong mind you . Just makes you wanna check other sources. Neutral people not ones that wanna say it was ME Not Dean that did this or that . Hope to see your stuff you have coming up soon Mark That'l tell the real story.

Jan didn't remember anything about his accident. He was just relating what others, incorrectly, had told him. I mean, Jan sat there and said he was drafted . . . not true.

My research has uncovered substantial details about the accident. This info will not be included in the Sessionography book . . . but will appear later in the Bio project.

As far as Jan saying things about his relationship with Dean . . . I would just repeat (as I have many times) that there is a substantial paper trail (dating back to the original era). In other words, as a researcher and historian, I don't have to rely on anything that Jan "said" after his accident. Not one single thing.

Moreover, we have 40-plus years of post-accident public commentary from Dean . . . a good bit of which is negative towards Jan.

So again, as I've said over and over . . . we're dealing with a very normal dynamic. They had their ups and downs. And any negativity is just one aspect of a much broader an complex narrative.

M.

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 07:13:29 PM »
True the paper trail will set a lot of the record straight. A persons perception, time, low self , or egotistical feelings . Can really cloud how they remember how they were treated. I do remember Jill Gibson saying (VH1) How Jan treated Dean like a 2nd class citizen . None of these performers duo's, groups , TV show cast .... Are every as close as we want them to be. Only Human. As far as the remembering about the accident true he didnt. But I wish Dean wouldve corrected the commit and It would've set the record straight. So people wouldnt be saying . "NO IT WAS A HEAD ON" He didnt hit the truck from behind . He said it himself on Mike Douglas.....  It would also have shown another affect of his brain damage.  Now get busy on that stuff instead of setting here on the net.

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 10:41:20 PM »

LOL . . . :)

Mike

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 08:06:02 PM »
You are going to be an old man before you finish that book, now get someone to help you!  Your fans are not going to be waiting forever!

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 11:11:14 PM »
You are going to be an old man before you finish that book, now get someone to help you!  Your fans are not going to be waiting forever!

Mike . . . I'm already old (-ish) . . . but I definitely get what you're sayin'. :)

It's not a situation where anyone can help me . . . beyond what's costing me money to accomplish. And frankly, it's not about who's waiting -- currently or otherwise. It's about putting it on the public record, in a manner that does justice to the material.

I'm working on the Sessionography every night. And I recently had a six-month wait for a big chunk of research that paid off beautifully. This is the nature of the business.

Right now, I'm confident in saying that the Sessionography is about two-thirds finished. It's shaping up nicely.

If I didn't have to devote 40 hours a week to earning a middle-class living, we'd ALL be a lot happier, in terms of this Jan & Dean stuff.

And remember . . . Dean is working on his own memoir . . .  So fans have a lot to look forward to.

M.

Mike

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 05:32:50 AM »
Actually,  I was trying to quote  " Annie" from the DMC movie when Jan was trying to compose  new music...   Keep up the good work!

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 06:34:50 AM »
Ha ha   That's funny Mike! I remember that from the movie.

Mark, I'm looking forward to your work. Keep it up!!

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 09:27:39 PM »
Actually,  I was trying to quote  " Annie" from the DMC movie when Jan was trying to compose  new music...   Keep up the good work!

Ha! . . . Good one, Mike. :)

Good 'ol "Annie" . . . another fictitious composite character from the move. I love Pamela Bellwood, though.