Author Topic: Mono and Stereo  (Read 3427 times)

positivemusic

• Doré
    • View Profile
Mono and Stereo
« on: October 05, 2012, 05:46:09 PM »
Can someone tell me if the mono and stereo album mixes were done separately? I was curious as to whether the mono are just fold downs. Specifically, albums like Folk'n'Roll are hard to listen to through headphones and so, I was going to use editing software to fold them down. But only if these would be a somewhat accurate representation of the original mono album mixes.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mark A. Moore

Re: Mono and Stereo
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 01:51:30 AM »

Test your theory . . . Fold them down, and then compare the results with the original mono versions.

positivemusic

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 05:43:52 AM »

Test your theory . . . Fold them down, and then compare the results with the original mono versions.

I don't have the original mono to compare it to. If I had those, I wouldn't need to fold down the stereo recordings because I'd already have them in mono.

Bitman

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 07:30:46 PM »
If you're looking for mono versions of all Jan & Dean Liberty singles, Collectors Choice did a nice 2-CD set a few years back.  You can likely find a copy on Amazon.  If you're just curious, as a rule of thumb, back then most 'singles' artists such as J&D did a dedicated mono mix for their 45's to give them more punch for AM radio.  Again, this is rule of thumb and not always the case.