Author Topic: J&D and the other Liberty artists  (Read 2928 times)

Actorman

• Doré
    • View Profile
J&D and the other Liberty artists
« on: April 11, 2012, 10:30:30 AM »
Does anyone know what kind of relationship (if any) that Jan and/or Dean had with the other major artists on the Liberty label?  Folks like Bobby Vee, Julie London, Martin Denny, Ross "David Seville" Bagdasarian, Johnny Mann, Si Zentner, etc.

Due to its size, I've always wondered whether or not the Liberty label mates were a close knit group (like, for example the early years of A&M and Motown) but have never seen or heard any discussion around it.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Arwin
    • View Profile
    • jananddean-janberry.com
Re: J&D and the other Liberty artists
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 02:18:38 PM »

If you don't already have it, try to find a copy of Michael "Doc Rock" Kelly's book — Liberty Records: A History of the Recording Company and its Stars.

It's pretty exhaustive, with lots of detail on each artist . . . and label employees, too.

Actorman

• Doré
    • View Profile
Re: J&D and the other Liberty artists
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 07:34:18 AM »
Yes, I have that book.  (Well, technically the CD-ROM version.)  It is awesome!!  A great read with lots of information.  It's been a few years since I last read it though.

I was just wondering if anyone had any other insight on the subject specific to Jan and Dean.  I am extremely fascinated by connections between my favorite artists.  It's one thing to know _______ was on the same label as ______, but finding out they were friends, acquaintances, etc. or even had an interesting encounter of some sort is really interesting to me.

I remember how excited I was way years ago when I started to connect Jan and Dean to so many other artists like the Mamas & Papas (through Lou Adler), the Carpenters (through Herb Alpert), the Fifth Dimension (through Bones Howe) and even Cher (through Snuff Garrett). Guess I'm just geeky like that.  LOL!   :)