Author Topic: Music by J&D fans  (Read 4381 times)

Salzburg Surf Scene

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
Music by J&D fans
« on: March 12, 2012, 02:51:25 PM »
I've noticed that certain other fan boards have sections for fans to showcase their own music (and yes, I'm thinking of fans of those upstarts from Hawthorne). I know that some members here, such as Jay, have recorded J&D related material - and as things have been a bit quiet here recently, I thought I'd indulge in a piece of blatant self-promotion.

http://www.reverbnation.com/jacquesdefoe

Of the four tracks on this link, two are at least J&D influenced:

"The girl from Salzburg (a.k.a. the landlocked surfer girl)" is a take on J&D as seen through the eyes of those early 80s surf/garage stalwarts, the Barracudas (who made frequent references to J&D in their early recordings)

"Eureka California" is a slower number, is basically about J&D, with lyrics so obscure that I reckon they will only be understood by members of this board...

"Betty isn't surfin' anymore" looks more towards the Surfaris; and the other song, "Sometimes" is the odd one out, and generally going in a quite different direction.

I've got a number of other tracks as yet unfinished which might be of interest, with an LP in the not too distant future. There are several J&D influnced tracks (titles include Summer Through My Mind, Save for a Rainy Day, and It came from the Sea).

But I  thought I'd share these now with the people who appreciate truly great music!

Mark A. Moore

Re: Music by J&D fans
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 05:17:31 PM »
Cool . . . Thanks for posting, Jacques. All fans who are musicians should post their music here.

I had a "Post Your Music" thread a while back, with my old chestnut  . . . a cover of "Gonna Hustle You," with the original backing track from '63.

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 05:16:51 AM »
Awesome Music Jaque! I'll take this opportunity to post 2 new videos of 2 of my songs that I've already posted. The Surfin Bird video includes pictures of Jan & Dean.

Surfin Bird (cover version)

Little Old Lady from Catahoula by Phil Streva

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 06:31:07 PM »
JDMAN You should include a pic of Peter from Family Guy on Surfin Bird.  :o

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 06:04:23 AM »
lol  You're right!  Peter did a lot for the Trashmen. It's amazing how many hits they have on youtube based on that Family Guy episode. I've always wished Family Guy would do something like that for Deadman's Curve or Surf City,etc. Peter and Family Guy brought the Trashmen back to the mainstream. It's amazing what a TV show or movie can do for a rock n roll act.

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 10:34:43 PM »

Here's mine again . . .

"Gonna Hustle You" (with the original 1963 instrumental track). I left out the backing vocals during the instrumental break, simply because I got tired of messing with the song . . . and I felt I had a good blend going with the rest.

http://www.jananddean-janberry.com/Gonna-Hustle-You_Moore_2-16-08.mp3