Author Topic: what if Jan Berry had died in 66  (Read 11621 times)

owen

• Liberty
    • View Profile
Re: what if Jan Berry had died in 66
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 11:08:31 AM »
You are right. There are two separate issues involved here. The question of how Jan would be perceived today if he had lived hard and died young is, as you say, an interesting one. But in the end an unanswerable one for the reasons you suggest. Some people become mythic figures when they die and others don't. It depends to a large extent on how your career is perceived at the time you die.

Look at the difference in reaction to Roy Orbison's death and the suicide a year or so later of his contemporary Del Shannon. Orbison was ascending in an unexpected second act at the time of his death (partly or maybe largely due to the Travelling Wiburys) and Del Shannon wasn't. Orbison was feted and compilations were put out after a tasteful interval. Shannon was more or less ignored.

As for Dean, California was *not* unfunded and unsupported. If a group allegedly involving Brian Wilson, Bruce & Terry and Dean Torrence is not capable of attracting backing and support then I doubt that this was to do with the fact that Dean's former (at that time) partner was still alive. By the time he and Jan were back together (for the reasons Mark pointed out above - neither of them could draw crowds or money on their own) Dean had had a window of opportunity longer than many pop stars' careers.

Who can say why this window of opportunity didn't open?  All I am saying is that I doubt if it was Jan or the public's fading (at that time) memories of him that kept it closed.

Cheers
Owen

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 08:28:33 AM »
Yeah that was a strange death Bobby had . He was only a 1 hit wonder right ? Didnt he sound like Buddy Holly ? Little Shela or something Can remember. I think with the amont of material Jan would 've went down as a legend. Which I dont think Dean could have kept up with . No offense Dean . Of course Dean knows how much musical knowledge Jan had so I dont think he would be .

The Surfer Joe

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 06:59:37 PM »
Interesting thoughts & ideas, Guys....

Just thinking of all the priceless memories Jan gave us from His hard recovery back. And, not to forget some pretty cool new music too.  Hard to say for sure what would have happened in Dean's life had  Jan Died. Doubt He would have joined the Beach Boys ( Maybe a Special Guest at Times ) Is Still a gifted artist ( Kittyhawk ) & His Vocals and Health have Stood the test of time.... something few can say.... Keep posting Your ideas and comments, Men. I really enjoy them :)

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2011, 08:57:21 PM »
Yeah this is all just for fun . No right or wrong answers .  The trouble for Dean was the music changed and NO ONE was interested in those ol surf guys , in the late 60's ! Now if it happened in say 64 . Things really might have been different for him . I agree Dean has aged very well and for a falsetto singer still does pretty good . He was just as much or more talented than Jan in his OWN WAY . No he couldnt write musical notes But could Jan ever be the artist Dean is ? Maybe if Dean just woulda done some protest songs .  ::)