Author Topic: California - stoned myth or recorded reality?  (Read 2305 times)

owen

• Liberty
    • View Profile
California - stoned myth or recorded reality?
« on: October 25, 2011, 12:59:04 AM »
In the thread about how Dean's career might have progressed differently if Jan had died in 1966, I argue that it would probably not have been very different, because Dean actually did do work on his own although it was never commercially successful.

I mention California the group he allegedly formed with Brian Wilson, Bruce Johnston and Terry Melcher as a post-surf supergroup for the seventies. I remember reading several articles about this years and years ago from different perspectives.

They were intended to launch Bruce & Terry's new Equinox label, but nothing was ever released. Some material was later redone and released as California Music but with different singers.

Does anyone know if the original participants in California actually got anything down on tape? Is there any unreleased material that is (more or less) finished, or was the original incarnation of California just a daydream?

I ask because I have always imagined that a "post-surf supergroup" might sound very much like J&D do on Ocean Park Angel - and the prospect of more in that vein is definitely worth hunting down if it exists :)

Cheers
Owen