Author Topic: ...perhaps a little more "sunshine" for a day that needs some - March 26th  (Read 16672 times)

Salzburg Surf Scene

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
What exactly is on these tapes? And will they be released in some format? Sounds too important to leave in the vaults!

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile

Jan got a great deal of joy out of listening to them
    :)  Thank you!!  ...for providing that for him, Mark

« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 03:32:59 PM by maryw7 »

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
....so it was hot!!  ( you get the picture )....and they convinced me ( somehow!) (I mean to walk that long way, to and through the mall )

those first minutes...i can't remember too much ( i was nervous! )....the first thing i remember well...is making it through the front doors of the mall.  But then we did sit down in the benches upon entering.  There were a few people who recognized Jan and did come up and say a few words ( very cool! ). 

And then...we began again.  This time, Jan did ask me to put my shoulder up close to and under his arm....and then, i did hold his hand too.  Now as we walked...he said something that pressed right into me and as I recall it now....i cannot describe the feeling that wells inside of me....

He said...."we are like one person"
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 07:41:09 PM by maryw7 »

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
...and if you're wondering why I'm sharing this....

I'm never sure if I'm going to or not....although i did make the decision once before...years ago...when this board was on ( i think for the 2nd time even then )...so it was the middle board when i first wrote these things.  It's gone now...and more years have passed. 

My heart pounds when i write it...knowing i'm publicizing it.   Yes...i have also shared this and some of it more with a small number of friends  (different portions with different people) 

But God allowed this precious time of happenings that went beyond ( like God says in His Word....) above all that we ask or think. 

And I want to share that reality.

Along with the other reality....the steps Jan took each day and what they were like for him....cause that day...i did find out.

And if i continue ....the reality of how Jan & Dean could interact with each other at times like these, in their life.  Even if....we all too often have been told....of their less than "perfect" stressful moments ....which, still .....even then .....didn't let those get the best of them.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 07:26:14 PM by maryw7 »

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
Great story Mary! Thanks for posting.

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
Less than a year before I had begun working on the effort to have Jan & Dean perform in our city…wanting so much to support them in their “Phase II.”  (first learning of it August '94 )  Having a concert seemed the only possible thing.  The motivation was strong in my heart…it was my prayer.   (I admit here and now...i also prayed, though rather meekly/weakly, -even rather doubtfully- for Jan to be healed...as I believe God somehow, sometimes still brings healing to us...even physical.  Neither the concert nor a healing for Jan came to pass...as is known)

I LOVED what they were doing:  Jan’s unyielding will to work and perform regardless of set protocol for entertainers…the constant focus on aesthetics…perfection and flawlessness…flashy sets and gimmicks.  Jan & Dean were bringing something valuable to us…it really couldn’t  precisely be explained…its importance could be felt.   

Now… less than a year later…I was being allowed the privilege and honor of, literally, supporting Jan.  It was more than I could have thought or imagined...and exactly that I would want to do.

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
Passing through the mall, taking each step in the manner I earlier described,
to put my shoulder up close to and under his arm....and then, i did hold his hand too.  Now as we walked...he said something that pressed right into me and as I recall it now....i cannot describe the feeling that wells inside of me....

He said...."we are like one person"
...it was getting through to me, the physical encumbrance Jan faced each day.  As he said, it WAS as if we were one body, and I experienced his walk “with” him.  How can I convey this to another?  Why would I want to?  ….however, I do…want to. 

It wasn’t just the physical part of his walk I experienced…it was the stature of this man that came to me. 

That is why what Bob Greene exposed on the top of page 264 (hard cover) of his book, pierced me. 

That’s one thing I differ from in my observation of Jan than Mr. Greene.  He seems to describe Jan knowing all to well what he once was and what he now was….sometimes even speaking/writing what was “in Jan’s head.”   Whereas, it was my understanding that Jan did not compare himself to his previous “self,” and that he realized the worth, strength and value of his life and body. 

So even if Jan “heard” what was thrown at him that night, I believe he would have not felt sorry for himself…but for the boy. 

Though he definitely was frustrated with the encumbrances he endured, and suffered from them, even emotionally (as they were so wearing-to himself and others)…he was not ashamed or embarrassed nor felt devalued--not devalued by himself anyway...but perhaps sometimes by others  (….in my opinion...from being with him, during this day and in coming ones)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 09:21:09 PM by maryw7 »

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
When I saw the movie about Jan & Dean…..i was 18.  With that ending…which is on Youtube at:

Jan & Dean Dead Man's Curve Movie

…my heart was  captured.  And it wasn’t until it came back to my mind in 1994…after having my four children…that I began to earnestly consider what had happened to them through seeing it again, on video form, after renting it….

Now here I was….August of 1995 in Union Station of St. Louis …with Jan…sharing moments of his life…having wanted to know if they were “okay” and what had happened to them after the movie ended.

(Thank You, God!!)

Once we reached his door…I was thankful I had gotten a wheelchair for Jan earlier.  He had seemed so tired and hot near the end of our walk, close to the hotel entrance area of the mall.  He hadn’t objected when I seriously suggested it.  Unfortunately, it hadn’t been easy to get one from the check in …but I did.  Now I was especially glad.  The key for his door was not working!

Because they knew I had asked for the wheelchair not long ago, the attendant at the desk believed I was with Jan and did give me another key.  When I got back to his door, Jan was patiently sitting in the chair, singing his songs…practicing. 

Jan said he wanted me to stay and help him.  He rested for a short while, and we gave him some of the food in his room he had gotten earlier…he drank some of the diet soda. 

He wanted to shave then.  He used cream and a razor.  We had put a chair in the bathroom so he could sit while he worked.  He wanted me to shave him, but after trying a little, I was too scared I may cut him, so he did it himself while I held his hair back. 

Then the phone rang.  Guess who? 

Dean

I explained to him how our trek had gone.  He said he would be right up.

When the knock on the door came…Jan said not to answer right away.  (a little of the Jan & Dean humor, I gathered)    * Jan was all smiles and laughing quietly as the seconds passed before he "okayed" me to open that door!

Finally, I got the okay to open the door and Dean O came in…he began helping Jan get ready for the concert. 

……sweet…..precious….funny…
describes what this experience was like…..seeing Dean with Jan…like this

It was worth more than:  all the tea in China…all the money in the world…….winning the $10,000 Pyramid….winning the lottery……..anything valuable you can come up with!!

If you love Jan & Dean, as I do…you will understand why that was so.

There were the cute jokes you’d expect….and the one foremost in my mind...because from the era this was set in.  Remember, it was 1995…and the year before, O J Simpson had been the top of the news. 

When Dean was working with getting Jan’s shoes on….he noticed some red stains on them.  He commented:  “Now we know who was at Rockingham”
(the name of the street where OJ’s wife was murdered)   * ( okay...maybe he said "Bundy" ... : )

PS  When I saw the movie at 18 years old, spring 1978...there sure wasn't much coverage in the media about Jan & Dean's return.  This is one person who never heard about it...and thank goodness Mrs. Torrence (Dean's mother) made herself available for all those years to fans when they attempted finding information (including even up through 1994!) ...and Lori Brown who kept a fan club...AND Michael Kelly "Doc Rock" who first produced "Sunshine Music" the FABULOUS magazine publication (ALL Jan & Dean) on par with "Endless Summer Quarterly" for the Beach Boys, produced by David Beard.

* added  July 2011
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 11:32:25 PM by maryw7 »

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
As they were working, the phone rang again.  Because they were busy, they said i should answer it.  It was Susan, Dean's wife.  She said that they would be coming up to go down to the concert area with them. 

I let my concern be known about how I hoped there'd be an easier way to get back.  I suggested they use the wheelchair...but after discussing it, they did not want to.  They would have someone coming along to make sure it went okay...a guard or someone (i thought who'd lead us a more brief way--WRONG).

When the knock came again, there was Susan and a relative and the guard, too, I guess.

Susan introduced me to the relative as Jan's friend, Mary.   :)  Dean said, "She's Jan's bodyguard" as we exited the room.  (hee hee!)

As we began the walk again, Jan had me walk with him the same way as earlier  :)  :)  :)  :)  Jan was really picking up speed (we were in the front), and Dean was telling Jan to "slow down". 

This time through the mall...Jan & Dean were so recognized...and those people were cheering them on...which was wonderful! to witness them receiving.   :)

Actually, my memory is telling me, that it was on this half of our back-and- forth through the mall, that Jan said the part of how "we are like one person".  I guess whether it was on the way to the room (before) or on the way to the concert (now) doesn't matter at all.  Whenever he said it...it just mattered so much. 

Whenever Jan spoke something, it felt like it really, really mattered.  But as i previously indicated, his description was quite accurate... a person, when sharing his steps like this, truly had the experience of "feeling" how it felt for him...and all the energy and concentration it required of him to "walk". 

As we reentered the out door area and got a bit closer to the stage, Jan thanked me so and even gave me a "kiss" for gratitude.  I almost forgot to hand to them all the things I'd put in pocket that he had wanted to take with him.  (normally, Jan always took the smaller duffle bag with him from hotel to concerts with these things and more, but i guess this time, with the hotel right next to it...it was different; plus...they didn't usually just "walk" to their performance!!) 

I then joined my daughters and they went back stage. 

**** :)******* :)******* :)******* :)******* :)******* :)****

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 07:32:41 PM by maryw7 »

Mike1965

• Ode
    • View Profile
Have the Lubin tapes mentioned in this thread ever been released commercially?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 06:09:07 PM by Mike1965 »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Arwin
    • View Profile
    • jananddean-janberry.com
No . . . But Jan's "Echo Effect" session (which is on the tapes) was included on Varese's "Teen Suite" comp, along with one of the versions of "There in the Night." And I think part of the writing session for "Gotta Getta Date"?

The stuff on the tapes is described in my book . . . with some of the KJAN-style tapes transcribed.

M.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 07:41:45 PM by admin »

Mike1965

• Ode
    • View Profile
Thank you Mark. It would be a shame if the rest of the tapes are not released someday. Along the lines of early Jan & Arnie material, are there any documented acetates or was all of the early material on reel to reel only?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 08:09:44 PM by Mike1965 »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Arwin
    • View Profile
    • jananddean-janberry.com
Making acetates was common at the time.

Frank Kisko . . . collector extraordinaire . . . has several Jan & Arnie acetates in his collection.

Mike1965

• Ode
    • View Profile
Thanks again Mark. I have been trying to contact Frank through Facebook to see if he has any extras to sell but no luck.