Author Topic: ...just one of THOSE days!!  (Read 8770 times)

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
...just one of THOSE days!!
« on: March 16, 2011, 05:42:22 PM »

The Surfer Joe

• Doré
    • View Profile
Re: ...just one of THOSE days!!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 05:52:23 PM »
Such touching words from Jan on the back.
was very well done & many interesting song choices. A lot of hard work & who would have believed a "Disco" song form Jan & Dean.  Hot Looking Lady...A Great Song among so many others :)

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 06:06:30 PM »

One very special album   :)

So goooood was "Ocean Park Angel " that Dean conveyed in 2002 to David Beard, March 27th....

" When I heard that song, I knew it was a good one.  I was a little bit worried about Jan being able to pull it off, but when I heard what he was capable of doing, I agreed to participate in this project.  I thought Jan did a pretty damn good job of singing it. "  ( excerpt from liner of "Legendary Masked Surfer Unmasked " )

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 06:15:30 PM »
Such touching words from Jan on the back.
was very well done & many interesting song choices. A lot of hard work & who would have believed a "Disco" song form Jan & Dean.  Hot Looking Lady...A Great Song among so many others :)
Yes, Joseph...yes!!

Those words!...  always so touching. 

I agree completely about the "well doneness " of it too.   :)

" Just One of Those Days "  sooooo funny 'n packed with the super good humor of those two...just like on the end of "Second Wave" with the " 31 Flavors "

Yummy ice cream song to top off the delicious music!

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 09:21:34 PM »
...... Jan's ragged vocals on Port To Paradise. Because he sounds so much better on Second Wave.
Jan was able to use the recording studio to create the vocals that he heard in his head much more than he was able in the previous decade.

This is not to say that healthy lifestyle choices and regular onstage vocal practice didn't also play a major part in shaping his vocals on what I think is a very creditable album (although I wish personally he had included more new songs and less remakes).

Yeah, I wrote about this in the liner notes for the Memorial Edition of Second Wave in 2004. I'ved interviewed the tech guys behind the album. They used pitch technology that later became standard for singers like Madonna, and similar acts.
   * quotes taken from previous thread titled "Jan's Vocal Question"

Okay....fellas

Doin a little pickin with you....

So is it the consensus of you three that somehow you think "Port to Paradise" songs are not quite as great sounding as "Second Wave" selections?  Although it does sound as if you're surmising the reason "Second Wave" is as wonderful as it is because of electronic engineering and helps.

How about "Just One of Those Days" with all the fantastic singing AND talking?  Where's the fault in that super tune?  It's got the perfect mix of humor and singing and the music arrangement....all excellent elements....creating a song that could have been released and fly up the charts!!

Let alone the "Ocean Park Angel" cut which I've already pointed out above!! 

Now...."Hawaiin Mirage" 
.... again...only positive to the max comments to be made about that!!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:25:33 PM by maryw7 »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Arwin
    • View Profile
    • jananddean-janberry.com
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 09:41:27 PM »

For me, it's not an "either, or" kind of thing . . .

The '70s stuff stands on its own as some of Jan's best post-accident work. "The Magic of Making Love" was rough, but it wasn't released as a single, like the others were.

The fact is . . . Jan -- and his co-producers of the '70s material -- did that era's equivalent of what they later did with "Second Wave." And it turned out quite well. I've met, interviewed, and corresponded with Jim Pewter and Alan Wolfson.

"Port To Paradise" was a mixture of Jan's older '70s releases with newer '80s stuff. There's some good stuff from the '80s, too . . . notably "Ocean Park Angel" and "The Best Love Ever" . . . "Hawaiian Mirage," too.

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 10:58:45 PM »
Can't help but notice that you say nothing of "Just One of Those Days" .....

I think that is soooo equally G :) :) D ....neck 'n neck

( kinda like these two.... )

with "Ocean Park Angel"

so ah........  ???

Although....can't fault you for citing  "The Best Love Ever"

owen

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 11:58:16 PM »
I agree with Mark: its not a matter of either/or.

I was answering a question and the answer I gave wasn't meant to be a side-by-side review of these two albums :)

FWIW I think Ocean Park Angel is head and shoulders above anything on Second Wave, where my favorite track is Spring Break. I think Second Wave suffers badly from all the 60s retreads which IMHO add nothing at all to the originals.

I understand from the net discussions I alluded to in the previous thread that they are there primarily because Jan wanted to show he could do remakes that were better than the remakes Dean had done. He wanted to reclaim the songs, as it were. This may or may not be true (I am sure others know more about this than me) but either way the remakes weaken the album.

However, to return to Mary's point, I suspect than an innocent listener, who knew nothing about J&D and Jan's accident, would say that Jan's vocals on Second Wave were by and large stronger and more powerful than those on Port to Paradise - and I think that Jan's ability to utilise successfully the technological advances that took place between the 80s and 90s are the main reason for that.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 12:01:59 AM by owen »

rob

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 12:16:12 AM »
Hi guys.  Jan made the re-recordings of his hits at the suggestion of Lou Adler, who advised him it's possible to license his own versions of the songs to companies looking to create new compilations.  I didn't like the idea and thought those recordings detracted from the album as well, but Jan was intent on having them be part of the project.  If you thought Spring Break was the best track on that album I wonder what you'll think of the original version, which may be available very soon...

1Jay1

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 08:56:15 AM »
Hi rob. Did you contact the person who owns the masters,and have anymore info about a new cd with outtakes.

Mike1965

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 07:05:03 PM »
What happened to Mary?

owen

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 11:38:41 PM »
Rob said
Jan made the re-recordings of his hits at the suggestion of Lou Adler, who advised him it's possible to license his own versions of the songs to companies looking to create new compilations.  I didn't like the idea and thought those recordings detracted from the album as well, but Jan was intent on having them be part of the project.

That makes perfect sense, I suppose. Or it would do if Jan had been able to resist fiddling with them. :)

With the extra lyrics and the new arrangements they sound much more like remakes than Dean's cover versions to me, and thus far less likely to be picked up by people wanting tracks for compilation albums.