Author Topic: " mo " tation .... " mo tivation "  (Read 7036 times)

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
" mo " tation .... " mo tivation "
« on: March 11, 2011, 08:54:43 PM »

...thoughts just rolling around

???

feelings....

keepin my cool

re:  previous posts from page 3 on YouTube thread / bottom half
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 09:10:00 PM by maryw7 »

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
Re: " mo " tation .... " mo tivation "
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 12:30:18 AM »

....Plus, he didn't live the healthiest lifestyle, especially given his limited mobility.
Do you mean he didn't at this time in his life or ever since the accident ? I know about his cocaine-use but what else did he do?

Apology for dissecting your messages....however

When wording what I think you meant -- this way --  ".... he didn't live the healthiest lifestyle "

...what happens is -- what happened.
A reader supposes Jan did not really take care of himself...and that he even included harmful practices, such as the cocaine " Rocker " recalled.

Yet....as far as i know....this is sooooo not true. 

I've pointed out first in this thread, through his and Dean's publicity photos, that Jan actually has "aged" very nicely.... to me.     (like Dean )

Secondly, Jan DID take care of himself.  He ate things very good for him  (fruit, chicken, salads, juices, diet soda, water, etc.....along with some of his favorite goodies, which really made him happy and feel better )

He cared and talked about his weight. 

Jan lived the best lifestyle that he could -- incorporating the things that made it as healthy as possible:  staying active in more ways than physical.  Engaging in knowing what was going on in the world seemed like the top of the list to him....communication with people -- giving and receiving caring encouragement.....keeping his spirit "up" by focusing on positive thoughts and ideas....creating music in every way......taking care of any mistakes (because he cared).   These  are some of the the ways in which I remember Jan "taking care " of himself and others from at least 1995 and quite a while before.

This seemed like a good lifestyle.  He rested....he worked as much as he could...he even physically got around as much and as LONG as he could....but like Gertie has shared....his eye sight was failing...especially in the one eye...and so even the cherished local trips he used to make were eventually "taken" from him, as they were too dangerous.  He was forced to become more and more immobile. 

Granted.... this is only from my perspective, pretty much....perhaps from a few other people's that I know. 

ps....perhaps, the best proof of Jan's having done the best he could, is the fact that though he was on medication for seizure control all those years, and other types of pain, blood pressure, relaxer medicines....he did not suffer from other diseases......although he did suffer from falls, which injured him at times (the broken pelvis 1999) ...and like in 1992, that condition on his back and 1995 when he required knee surgery to his left leg.  And through all of that....still kept physically getting around!!  Truly remarkable, in my opinion.....and with a smile so much of the time and a bouncing back attitute.

That is why i called this "mo tation".....from "motate" (urban word:  move from here to there)  and "motivation"   Though Jan had less and less "motation" physically....he had "motivation" unceasing!!  And that is what is MOST important. 

The Surfer Joe

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 07:23:25 AM »
Well said, Mary
Having several injuries myself, I know all about being more & less mobile & weight gain. Granted, none of as severe as Jan's & I had nothing but heartfelt respect how well he DID get around & do.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Arwin
    • View Profile
    • jananddean-janberry.com
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 02:11:31 PM »

When Jan went to the drive-thru at Wendys, he wanted six chicken sandwiches at one time. Just an example.

He could have used more physical therapy . . . but he didn't always want it.

Jan did have other diseases. He died of severe heart disease. I have his autopsy report.

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 02:00:41 PM »
Dean reports on his internet site  http://www.jananddean.com/biochp11/biochp11.html
that Jan passed on from a “heart attack.”
News agencies wrote Jan suffered a seizure.  This must mean, following or during the final seizure, a heart attack ensued.

Other than what took him...as far as i know, he did not have other diseases.

This may be an inaccurate  “memory”…but wasn’t the eye trouble a result,  possibly, of  injury….perhaps even from --this may be way off!…(but for some reason there in my memory somewhere) including an attack on Jan once? 

Also, I am aware of some skin, on his back …(NOT the lower back trouble requiring surgery in 1992)… mole or something, to prevent cancer, having been taken care of mid 90’s as well.  If that had a cause (and not all ailments do! )…more likely came from all his shirtless, sun exposure, in young years. 

With all the factors against Jan’s heart….food choices would be the only one he could really control.  Heart disease is the number one killer, or was.  Diet only plays a part.   

Jan’s sources of enjoyment were completely and understandably limited.  Food is a major source of enjoyment….for ALL of us.

Did he actually order and eat six sandwiches at one time?  Is it possible he was taking advantage of a “deal” at Wendy’s (my dad did!!) and taking advantage of a special they were having?…planning for later and/or sharing them?  He may have had that in mind and not expressed it to you….assumption made that he wanted them for himself for immediate consumption. 
-Jan did not always make his thoughts and intentions verbally known.

As I wrote in prior response, he chose “heartwise” food selections I listed, regularly (my impression! )….as well as, at times, the pleasure of “yummy…yummy” choices.  (candy bars…. M&M’s…milk shakes…a hamburger….an Arby’s….onion rings….Dairy Queen, etc.) 

He would even bring those calcium, vitamin, etc.,  enriched, supplement beverages along on his trips., as well as using “natural” type brands for things.  Surfer Joe informed me he held Jan’s “milk” for him at the concert.  Jan chose cranberry juice with his breakfast and milk! (examples)….I believe he, at least regularly, “normally” wanted and chose wiser food. 

Repeating again, Jan thought, cared and talked about his weight.  It mattered to him.  He tried hard…and won through most of his entire life.  Just see photo of the 2000’s publicity photo (last one up there! )…he only was a little too heavy (if even) at the very end…and that probably most due to the finality of physical activity when both eyesight and loss of balance…too many falls, slammed down hard like a final blow to getting around independently. 

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 02:19:13 PM »
And for our pleasure.... reproduction (Dean signed for me in 2006...Green Bay --not home of HIS favorite fb team....USC....but mine!  Packers !!) of Dean's story in the wonderful memorial edition of Lori Brown's Surfun  as it depicts Jan's lifelong love of one certain "food"

Also:  Thank you Surfer Joe.  I know how much you admire and respect Jan's life's accomplishments and efforts....keenly.  We all do.... me too!  :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 02:25:17 PM by maryw7 »

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 05:44:59 PM »
JEEEZ I didnt mean to start so much controversy . I was mainly talking about his appearence in the PBS film but thats what he looked like compared to Dean with Dean being older. Now if you compare Pre accident Jan and Post Accident Jan He really looks different. Evidence in the on the phone photo the holding the coke bottle in the studio photo and very recently a photo of him talking to Hal Blaine . I dont think I have any good photos of me , But when I saw that photo of him holding the Coke in the studio I was surprised that I looked almost like a twin. His diet seemed like most people who like me love food . Oatmeal one day Donuts the next . Dean also so is a "Junk Food Junkie" When I met him backstage in KC he was eating a pc o cake and was telling some one he had his Buffet coupon! I cant recall the number but a long time ago I read an interview with Dean takin at a Bob's Big Boy [I think] and he was eating multiple Ice Cream Sunday's  :o

The Surfer Joe

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 09:25:28 PM »
I don't hardly know a person who hasn't changed in looks in the past 20 years, weather eating healthy or what one enjoys for a diet of every day meals. ...and life on the road choices sometimes can be very limited, as in buffet's, fast food, or whatever is nearby. I was never a good looking Person in my opinion at any age & know I look different than I did years ago. I have shrunk 2" since High School & put on probably a good 60 lbs.  So given Jan's limited mobility & medications...I think He was still a very Handsome Man well into his later years. Probably the Biggest part of Jan was his Heart, Smile & I.Q. too.
And, My Friends, I hope we all Remember those were the reasons we Loved Him so much & He returned the Love right back to us by his Friendship & Music in His Soul.
......and Thank You, Mary, for Your very Kind Words :)

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 10:45:57 PM »

Just another shot to show what I am talking about.

I don't hardly know a person who hasn't changed in looks in the past 20 years, weather eating healthy or what one enjoys for a diet of every day meals. ..............I think He was still a very Handsome Man well into his later years. Probably the Biggest part of Jan was his Heart, Smile & I.Q. too.
And, My Friends, I hope we all Remember those were the reasons we Loved Him so much & He returned the Love right back to us by his Friendship & Music in His Soul.
......and Thank You, Mary, for Your very Kind Words :)
* Thank you for yours Joseph   :)