Author Topic: Who else is kind of "Creeped out" by Filet of soul (official version)  (Read 6723 times)

joshferrell

• Arwin
    • View Profile
I've been listening to "Filet of soul",not the jan berry version (which I have never heard other then what was on the anthology album) but the one that was released just after his accident and I find it too be kind of creepy,the fact that they stuck "dead mans curve " on it it's almost like the record company thought he was going to die and wanted to go down the james dean route,but not only that but we get "Gonna hustle you" Which before the accident was banned but all of a sudden it's allowed on the album,but the stuff i find the strangest is the "live" stuff that was supposed to be on the original "Comedy" album but stripped down of all the comedy bit's but at the same time they keep all the out of tune instruments and crazy singing,which would have been on the comedy record but doesn't make sense on a serious album because you hear all the "Sloppy" stuff that was meant for comedic effect but is left on the recordings of the official release making the songs sound real sloppy..any one else have any thoughts on this? does anyone else get kind of creeped out by the album kind of like it was strange for the record company to release it? don't get me wrong this isn't a reflection of jan or dean or what they did on the original recordings but just the overall feeling I get from the album that was released..by the way is there ever a chance that we may get the complete jan berry version? I think that should be the next project..

Mark A. Moore

Re: Who else is kind of "Creeped out" by Filet of soul (official version)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 06:59:48 PM »

Dean was really upset about the post-accident release.

The earlier concept for the album should absolutely be issued officially.

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 05:06:55 AM »
although I would love an official release of the original Filet of Soul, I have to say that I like the one that was released. 123, Hide Your Love Away, Hang on Sloopy, Honolulu lulu(live), I Found A Girl, Michelle,and Clown are great live performances with the Wrecking Crew. Some of the other live stuff is a little weaker on the vocal end. But overall, I enjoy that album. Most people disagree with me there, but it sold better than any other J&D album that year,so it's pretty good. From a business stand point, it made more sense than the Jan Berry concept. If I were the president of Liberty records, I'd done the same thing. Jan's concept would not have sold-see Batman. By the way, I like Batman. I'm just saying "from a business standpoint", the Filet of Soul album that was released made more  money than the other concept would have.

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 07:14:35 PM »
I must admit I agree with this part of what you've just said jdman:

although I would love an official release of the original Filet of Soul, I have to say that I like the one that was released. 123, Hide Your Love Away, Hang on Sloopy, Honolulu lulu(live), I Found A Girl, Michelle,and Clown are great live performances with the Wrecking Crew.

However, I can certainly understand why josh asks the question.  And I definitely agree with:

.... I think that should be the next project..
  And let's have Dean do the liner and notes for the liner!!

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 06:50:44 AM »
I agree Mary. I hope they do release the original Filet of Soul. Dean would be perfect for the liner notes. Maybe they can release a 2 CD set of Jan & Dean humor. Batman, Filet of Soul, and all the other humor songs like Submarine Races and Schlock Rod. That would be an entertaining album, for sure.

Rocker

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 04:12:38 PM »
I never heard the unreleased original version. Where can I do so? It would be very interesting, because I really think their versions of "Michelle" and "Everybody loves a clown" are great

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 08:25:53 PM »
Ok I'm gonna say it I think Vegetables is a cool song. But some would say , With Jan's brian damage and what some people refer to brain damaged people . That that was kinda creepy. I'm NOT one of those however.

owen

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 11:48:31 PM »
I never heard the unreleased original version. Where can I do so?

Side 4 of the Anthology album is Dean's edit of one version of the original.

I think that's right. Side 4 isn't a straight transcription of either of the unreleased versions as submitted to Liberty, is it?

Aside: I first heard it as a student when the Anthology double album was released in 1971, and I thought it was a) hilarious and b) completely unexpected. It took me years to find out what it was and why it was there. And I still think it was an extraordinary decision by Dean, when he was given the job of compiling a four-side "greatest hits" to fill side 4 with that. It certainly made me, and a few of my friends, rethink J&D's role in popular culture :)

Cheers
Owen

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 12:50:01 PM »
I agree with Owen.  This album, "Jan & Dean Anthology"  is thoroughly great ....and Side 4 is fantastic!

I couldn't decide whether to post this here, for this thread, or on the one listing all the songs Jan had his hand solely or cooperatively in....

At any rate, Dean was moved to include this on the 1971 album he created: