Author Topic: Goldmine - From Surf City to Pasadena to Rock & Roll Hall of Fame?  (Read 3403 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Arwin
    • View Profile
    • jananddean-janberry.com

Goldmine magazine sent us this link today . . .

From Surf City to Pasadena to Rock & Roll Hall of Fame?
(Sweet Little 16 in a continuing series on artists who should be in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, but are not)

By Phill Marder

http://www.goldminemag.com/blogs/from-surf-city-to-pasadena-to-rock-roll-hall-of-fame

Pretty good article. A few mistakes . . . Jan didn't produce the Angels or Rip Chords, but he did write songs they recorded. Nice encapsulation overall.

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
Re: Goldmine - From Surf City to Pasadena to Rock & Roll Hall of Fame?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 11:40:14 AM »
Great freaken article!!! A few mistakes( like the Beach Boys sang back up on Surf City) and the ones Mark mentioned, but I think articles like this need to be written more. Thanks Mark!

Ban n Bean

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
Re: Goldmine - From Surf City to Pasadena to Rock & Roll Hall of Fame?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 02:06:43 PM »
The Rock & Roll (or would that be Folk & Roll) Hall Of Fame has some serious problems:

1. It's Jann Wenner's baby.

2. There are a glut of 50's & 60's (and even 70's) artists that still should (in my view) be inducted.  Yet Wenner wants the late 70's and 80's artists to be inducted as well and in equal numbers to balance out the show, the politics, etc.  In doing so, the 50's and 60's artists are being held back while first-time eligible artists have no problem.  Unfortunately, many 50's and 60's artists are well into the process of dying from natural causes associated with old age, accidents, poorly maintained health, etc.  This situation is robbing us of once-in-a-lifetime reunions (i.e. The Dave Clark Five).  The Lovin' Spoonful were inducted in the NICK of time.  Wenner missed the boat with J&D.  Peter Tork has battled cancer.  Wenner isn't completely to blame:  The Hollies blew their chance for reunion (though they were finally inducted) and the likelihood of getting Clarke, Sylvester and Haydock in the same room together EVER AGAIN is virtually nil.

Arguments like these seem to fall on deaf ears.  Maybe there is some method to this madness, but it's lost on me.

Off the soap box.