Author Topic: From Paul Morantz  (Read 5114 times)

Mark A. Moore

From Paul Morantz
« on: April 25, 2010, 05:13:49 PM »
I heard from Paul Morantz today. Fans will know him as the author of the 1974 Rolling Stone article about Jan & Dean, on which the '78 movie was based.

For those who haven't, I encourage you to read Paul's Rolling Stone piece, because it's far more accuate than the film. Paul was a consultant for the movie, too . . . but the article is more revealing.

Paul has a Website now, with a section about J&D:
http://www.paulmorantz.com/

Paul was at Jan's memorial bash at the Roxy in '04, and the photo of him at the celebration was taken by me.

Paul's had an interesting life, to say the least. As an attorney, he went after a cult called Synanon, and they tried to kill him by putting a rattlesnake in his mailbox.

Paul and Dean Torrence remain friends today.

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
Re: From Paul Morantz
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 06:23:27 AM »
Great article! I'm glad I was able to contribute a little. The video of the last 7 minutes of the movie was the one I put on YouTube. I converted it from a VHS tape I had in 1978.
The movie wasn't accurate, but I'm glad it came out. We wouldn't be here on this site if not for that movie and article by Paul.

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 09:16:47 PM »
Indeed . . . Most everything post '78 stems from the RS article and success of the movie in reintroducing J&D to the nation -- to Boomers and kids alike.

The movie got me interested in J&D in '78. And I first read the Rolling Stone piece in the early '80s . . . not too long after reading Dave Marsh's Anthology liners for the first time.

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 09:20:40 PM »
Just in case anyone hasn't yet gone to Mr. Morantz's, Paul's, site.....here is some encouragement to do so....

http://www.paulmorantz.com/

When you take the trip there, not only will you see his 1974 article when you click on " JAN & Dean " right at the top among the options.... ( the FIRST option after "Home" ) ..... but he has also written another piece about Jan & Dean .... which is as important, really, as the 1974 article....it clears up facts regarding things that have been "out there."

When you click on " JAN & DEAN ".... you will see two YouTubes:

1   our very favorite music video of "Surf City" which was the first piece of film i had ever seen of Jan and Dean from Phase I....and perhaps "yours" too....

2   the last minutes of "Deadman's Curve" which jdman was referring to in second post on this thread....and which jdman, himself, provided for us all ( with many thanks JDMAN !! )

Following the YouTubes, comes:

JAN & DEAN:  BEHIND THE MOVIE

....now this IS the new article he has written.....so make SURE to take it all in....

after that.....

THE ROAD BACK FROM DEADMAN'S CURVE

....this IS the 1974 Rollingstone Magazine article from September 12th, 1974......however, Paul has not just put the article on....

He has included the original, color, photograph that was published with the article in 1974 in the magazine....and

....he has literally placed it on his site the way WE did it here on this forum,  back some years ago after Jan passed.  He has included our discussion as well.  (*Thank you so very much Paul, for honoring us that way!!*)  He also, graciously describes how much our discussing it here means to him....this is a true honor indeed !!

« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 09:27:38 PM by maryw7 »

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 09:38:58 PM »
PS..

Paul's had an interesting life, to say the least. As an attorney, he went after a cult called Synanon, and they tried to kill him by putting a rattlesnake in his mailbox.

All of this is on his internet site....along with many of his important additional pieces he's written through the years as well as just  RECENTLY

You will want to go over it carefully.... to be informed.

This is really, really nice to understand too....

Paul and Dean Torrence remain friends today.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 09:44:47 PM by maryw7 »