Author Topic: Jan & Jill on Fleetwoods LP cover?  (Read 3344 times)

Salzburg Surf Scene

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
Jan & Jill on Fleetwoods LP cover?
« on: September 03, 2010, 10:30:35 AM »
I saw this LP on eBay, by the Fleetwoods from 1965. The description claimed its Jan & Jill on the cover. I tried bidding but didn't get it!

Wonder if anyone knows about it. As the Fleetwoods were a Doo-wop outfit, they may have had connections with Jan from the early years?

Actorman

• Doré
    • View Profile
Re: Jan & Jill on Fleetwoods LP cover?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 06:34:22 AM »
The Fleetwoods were on Dolton Records.  (You can see part of the logo underneath the price sticker.)  Dolton Records and Liberty Records were both owned by Avnet in the early 60s and the Dolton catalog was eventually absorbed by Liberty in the late 60s (prior to the sale to Transamerica, I believe).  So, the 1965 timeframe of this album fits.

So, that is a possible connection to Jan and Dean.  It's very possible (and probably very likely) that the two labels shared the same art department.  If it is Jan and Jill in the picture, it could have been an outtake from a J&D photo session that was lying around and someone decided to use it as a "generic" cover shot for this Fleetwoods album.  Just a theory, but would make sense.