Author Topic: Dean's vocals  (Read 3496 times)

surferbee

• Ode
    • View Profile
Dean's vocals
« on: July 10, 2010, 01:02:09 AM »
Dean did not sing on a number of Jan and Dean songs. I know that the two guys had a fractious relationship but is there any evidence as to whether Jan chose to use Dean because they had argued or because he wanted a different sound? We also know that Jan sometimes dualled (not sure if that word exists!) his leads - how often did Dean do the same?

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
Re: Dean's vocals
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 11:37:08 AM »
Could it have been that Dean was inconsistant on his falsetto? I can on a good day do the falsetto wail . But there are days I cant do the high stuff . I think its possible Jan just needed someone who could step up to the mike and hit it 100% of the time . Like Hal and Tommy on their drums and guitar. If you listen to the TAMI show Dean does a great job on SWS . So he could do it. [ i havent heard LOL from that in a while] . Iwould really like to get Deans take on this.

1Jay1

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 01:40:41 PM »
if we are talking about dean vocals i m sure we are talking about the years 1963-1966 as thats when jan and dean beach boys started working together,so we talking about a max of 3 years,and dean vocals was on most of the songs he and jan recorded from 1959-1966,i say 1966 as it was dean who was on the batman album,not brian,sloan or barri,

The albums i m sure dean sang falsetto on was

The dore singles,plus heart n soul,wanted one girl 1960
The greatest hits vol 1,with Turkish town on it,poor little puppet,1961
Im not sure abot the whole album but jan and dean take linda surfin,1962
batman album 1966

I ve never heard dean complain about other people singing falsetto,as dean maybe on the background vocals on some of there liberty hits

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 02:05:31 PM »
I think it was mainly a result of Jan's odd hours in the studio. Dean wasn't always around. Both Sloan and Vic Diaz have confirmed this to me.

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 05:11:30 PM »
I think Dean was on a lot of significant Liberty songs. Certainly Linda, Honolulu Lulu, Drag City, DMC, NGIS, Ride the Wild Surf, Popsicle, Summer Means Fun, etc. Not bad. He certainly missed out on the 2 biggest hits, but I guess it really didn't matter. As long as Jan did the producing, it was always a Jan & Dean record. But Dean was on a lot of those hits.

1Jay1

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 12:46:00 PM »
i bet also if jan or dean didn t sing on a track they still got royalties as it was put out as a jan and dean single/album track,

The biggest example is the beatles white Album,not every beatle plays on all the tracks,there a few which are solo recordings,or 2 beatles just playing,or "The Balled of john n yoko" this was a single and only paul and john recorded the track,

lets not forget jan did allow dean to use his name for the Jan and dean story and the Silver summer album,he even sang on barbara ann from the silver summer album,which is one of the best tracks taken from the album,