Author Topic: Jan's crash site  (Read 27422 times)

1Jay1

• Ode
    • View Profile
Re: Jan's crash site
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 03:29:59 PM »
Say the wheel had been tampered with,it sounds a possiblity,but wouldn t have jan feel the balance of the wheel while driving,there would have been a virbration and then like most people he would have pulled over to see what the problem was,

This is a debate,a strong subject i m just putting answers to your question,i m going on what i ve read and heard,from jan and dean material i ve read,i m sure i only read about this from mark passmore book,i can t really remember reading it anywhere else,

keep posting  burton and 2dean2,No hard feelings,i wonder how this board would feel if everyone agreed on everything,it would be very boring,after all this is a forum

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 07:27:41 PM »
Your right 1jay1 it would get boring. As far as the wheel coming off , It could have come off very quickly. I see people on the side of the road all the time 1-2 times a month. That has lost a wheel . It couldve been Jan was turning at the time as to why he lost control and hit the truck. A rear wheel is even worst . It would make the car fish tail like if you blow a rear tire. {ie the Ford Explorers that was rolling around 95] .

wintersdawn

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 12:31:48 PM »
Found another possible reason for the crash here:

http://www.songfacts.com/songimage.php?id=1163

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2010, 10:30:59 AM »
Very interesting story . TOO bad they blow so many holes in it as you read further in the site.
Too bad also that when  you click on get the sheet music . You cant get DMC  and RTWS  is a BB song ?  :o

ripplewine

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2010, 10:14:24 PM »
Does anyone know if Jan had the Corvette serviced prior to the accident?  Change/rotate/patch tires perhaps?  Sometimes a failure is just a failure.

From what I've read, Jan lost a wheel on that car a couple of weeks before the accident--but that time it happened at low speed in the drive of his parents' house on Flora Linda Drive.  Jan and a friend of his put the wheel back on themselves.  It could be that this had something to do with the accident.

The Kelsey-Hayes knock-off wheels on the Corvette Sting Ray were notorious for having a problematic and confusing locking mechanism, which is why they were discontinued after the '66 model.   There are ten different ways to attach the wheel and secure the locking spinner, and five of them will result in the wheel coming off!  On top of that, once you get the spinner on, you have to bang the hell out of it with a heavy mallet to get the arrows lined up, indicating that the wheel is secure, and the mallet that came with the car is too light.