Author Topic: Jan's voice  (Read 2739 times)

suee56

• Arwin
    • View Profile
Jan's voice
« on: June 22, 2018, 04:21:22 AM »
Does anyone agree with me on this? I think Jan's lovely rich voice, sounded particularly haunting post accident. makes me cry :'(

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
Re: Jan's voice
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 04:28:32 AM »
Mother Earth was great! among others

Pre-accident- I think his solo on We Go Together showed how good his voice could be.

Overall, he was not in the league of Jay Black or Roy Orbison. But that just shows how great his productions were. It's amazing how great those records sounded!

Surfermike

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 12:56:34 PM »
Jan had a great, distinctive voice in his early years. Two songs that I pointed out before were Batman (which for some reason I think was his best vocal ever. Listen how he pronounces the word Socialite and the word Night.) and Hot Stocker. These two songs stand out to me as well as many others such as A Beginning From An End, another classic vocal by Jan. As far as Jan's post accident, a great vocal and one of his greatest songs is Sing Sang A Song. I can't figure out what the song is about but I love it. Skateboard Surfin' USA is another great one. I like it better than Sidewalk Surfin'. Great production and vocals by all. Back in the 60's, 70's and (ok) 80's singers had distinctive, recognizable voices. Elvis, Janis Joplin, John Lennon, Jim Morrison, Mike Love, Dylan and on and on. Jan was no exception, his voice stood out early and later in his career. When Jan & Dean sang together, there was nothing better than that!

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 04:50:35 AM »
I agree. I love Jan's voice. Linda and Popsicle are very strong too!
Jan and Dean together too. Dream was fantastic!