Author Topic: RIP Lyle Ritz  (Read 3016 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Doré
    • View Profile
    • jananddean-janberry.com
RIP Lyle Ritz
« on: March 13, 2017, 04:48:29 AM »
Sad to learn that bassist Lyle Ritz has passed away. He will be missed. Lyle was an integral part of the Wrecking Crew, and played bass on a number of recording sessions for Jan & Dean, including . . .

"Anaheim, Azusa ...," "It's A Shame To Say Goodbye," "One-Piece Topless Bathing Suit," "When It's Over," "A Surfer's Dream," "Skateboarding (Parts 1 & 2)," "The Submarine Races," "Waimea Bay," "Horace, the Swingin' School-Bus Driver," "Memphis," "Only A Boy," "Laurel & Hardy," "Mulholland" ("Grasshopper"), "I Know My Mind" ("Free, Free, Free"), and "Carnival of Sound" ("Deeper and Harder").

NateRuvin

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Lyle Ritz
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 06:47:33 AM »
Did he play upright bass or electric bass for Jan Berry? I know he usually played upright for Brian Wilson.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Doré
    • View Profile
    • jananddean-janberry.com
Re: RIP Lyle Ritz
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 07:14:22 AM »
Did he play upright bass or electric bass for Jan Berry? I know he usually played upright for Brian Wilson.

On some sessions for Jan Berry, Lyle Ritz was specified as playing electric bass. For example, if he was the only bass player on the session.

For sessions that featured two bass players—for example, Lyle and Jimmy Bond, or Lyle and Ray Pohlman—Lyle could have played an upright bass.

Some of Jan's music scores featured instructions for the two bass players, like "Fender take top notes," if they were playing octaves, etc.