Author Topic: Where did Jan learn how to arrange?  (Read 3249 times)

NateRuvin

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
Where did Jan learn how to arrange?
« on: November 21, 2016, 10:09:43 AM »

(First post btw!!)

Mark A. Moore

Re: Where did Jan learn how to arrange?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 11:28:28 AM »

(First post btw!!)

Nate,

Jan took piano and guitar lessons as a kid. As an undergraduate at UCLA in the early '60s—concurrent with Jan & Dean's career—he took music theory classes to study harmony and musicianship. During that time he was heavily influenced by a book called The Professional Arranger-Composer by Russell Garcia.

In the studio, beginning in 1958, Jan learned the ropes by watching some of the best arrangers in the business, including Ernie Freeman, Jimmie Haskell, Marty Paich, and others.

By 1961, thanks to his contract with Nevins-Kirshner, Jan was getting official label credit as an arranger for Lou Adler's productions. By late 1962, Jan had fully taken over all arranging and producing for Jan & Dean.

NateRuvin

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 03:11:44 PM »
Thanks for the info! I am getting your book, which I can't wait to read. I've been a huge Beach Boys fan for years, and now I'm just getting into J&D. Your book looks like a treasure trove of information!

1Jay1

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 06:46:47 AM »
Once again Jan never got much credit for his production,and at the time studios were not as good as they are today,and he made every track as if it was a single,nowadays  its a button and you can get whats you need,back then it was 4 track recorder,maybe 8 track at some studios, nowadays there 128 track recording studios,

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 11:50:44 AM »
Thanks for the info! I am getting your book, which I can't wait to read. I've been a huge Beach Boys fan for years, and now I'm just getting into J&D. Your book looks like a treasure trove of information!

Thanks Nate. Enjoy.