Author Topic: Jan on 'Silver Summer' and 'One Summer Night/Live'  (Read 13662 times)

sweetdudejim

• Arwin
    • View Profile
Jan on 'Silver Summer' and 'One Summer Night/Live'
« on: March 31, 2013, 04:09:39 PM »
Hey everybody, I was interested in what exactly the Silver Summer album is. I've seen it listed online, but I've also heard that Jan isn't on most of it. Well anyways, is he on any of the songs? And if so, which ones?

And also, he does fully participate on One Summer Night/Live, right? I haven't heard that one at all, and I was wondering.

By the way, I'm new here! So hey everybody.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 09:30:29 PM by sweetdudejim »

Mark A. Moore

Re: Jan on 'Silver Summer' and 'One Summer Night/Live'
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 10:31:52 PM »

Jan fully participated on One Summer Night / Live.

But Silver Summer was another matter entirely. It was false advertising, and Jan did not participate.

A contract with Silver Eagle Records (of Palm Springs) was drawn up in July 1985. In November, Jan's father and conservator got wind of it, and demanded answers from Silver Eagle. They acknowledged that Jan did not participate (despite the false advertising), but insisted that Jan was set to get a royalty larger than anyone who participated  . . . except Dean.

A copy of the contract was finally delivered to Bill Berry by Dean during the Christmas season. Jan had never signed the agreement.

In February 1986, Berry's lawyers informed Silver Eagle that the album had been released without Jan's consent, and that the label didn't have the right to release it. No authorization for the use of Jan's name and likeness was given. The attorney's office also explained that performances were attributed to "Jan" that were not his, and that said recordings were "damaging" to him.

sweetdudejim

• Arwin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 07:45:57 PM »
Wow. Well that's pretty interesting. So that's why its not listed in the discography on this site.

It's odd though, I coulda swore somebody said that Jan was on a few songs on Silver Summer. I'm taking your word for it. I cancelled my order of it because of that.

While were at it, I'd like to ask about the other re-recordings, along with Silver Summer...how was Dean able to put these recordings out as "Jan & Dean" if Jan wasn't for it? Also, who else was involved with the re-recordings from the late '70s that are all around these days? Like who did Jan's parts?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, still trying to get a grip on this stuff.

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 09:14:06 PM »
It's not about taking my word for it . . . I'm citing actual legal correspondence from the period. And I have a copy of the 1985 contract.

Dean's 1977 re-recordings were made with Papa Doo Run Run . . . the band that backed them live when they returned to touring in the late '70s. Members of Papa also appeared in the Jan & Dean film biography Deadman's Curve in 1978.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 09:16:51 PM by Mark A. Moore »

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 09:19:05 PM »
I coulda swore somebody said that Jan was on a few songs on Silver Summer.

Not surprising . . . the album credited Jan as both a producer and a vocalist.

owen

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 10:28:25 PM »
Most of the album was later released (rather more honestly) as Jan & Dean's Golden Summer by The Legendary Masked Surfers.

One of the sad things about all this is that the album contains what I think is the best recording Dean ever made of one of the best songs he ever recorded: Like A Summer Rain. The version here is much better than the one on Save For A Rainy Day: not just the production but the vocals too.

Cheers
Owen

sweetdudejim

• Arwin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 08:44:11 PM »
When was the Silver Summer material recorded Mark? And why wasn't Dean bothered to get Jan to participate? It seems like he figured he could get Mike Love for a "Jan and Dean" album, so why not, say...JAN?!?

sweetdudejim

• Arwin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 10:05:29 PM »
Also Mark (or anybody else who can help), I read somewhere that Jan actually DOES appear on the version of "Barbara Ann" done for Silver Summer? Also, if he was so against the album, why did he appear with Dean in the commercial to help sell it?

sweetdudejim

• Arwin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 07:48:38 PM »
Sorry to dredge this old topic up, but I thought it was interesting. Does anybody know why, if Jan was so against Silver Summer, he would be in a commercial promoting the album? Just his sense of brotherhood with Dean maybe?

And as far as Jan on "Barbara Ann", I read that in the Passmore book, but I sure don't hear him on there.

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 11:04:05 PM »
Sorry to dredge this old topic up, but I thought it was interesting. Does anybody know why, if Jan was so against Silver Summer, he would be in a commercial promoting the album? Just his sense of brotherhood with Dean maybe?

And as far as Jan on "Barbara Ann", I read that in the Passmore book, but I sure don't hear him on there.

It's called bullshitting the public for the purpose of making money. Going with the flow.

I've said all this before, but Silver Eagle's attorneys admitted that Jan was not on the record. It was bogus advertising, in terms of crediting Jan as a producer, etc.

It was only after the pre-accident JB/J&D Screen Gems contracts came to an end in 1968 that Dean was finally able to take advantage of Jan's condition and do his own thing,  using the J&D name.

It was payback time . . . You have to understand, Screen Gems had legally killed all of Dean's post-accident label and recording endeavors in 1966 and 1967. They busted Dean so hard he had to come up with a new band name for "Vegetables" . . . because Screen Gems would not let him use the J&D name.

After 1968, it was a free-for-all . . . They both worked on their own projects, coming together occasionally for a few tracks. But largely separate.

So in 1977, Dean began a long string of re-recordings and marketed them as Jan & Dean. The movie came out in 1978, and J&D were suddenly relevant again, nationally.

But both Jan and Dean would have been better served to have those re-recordings marketed as Dean and his band(s) singing the hits of Jan & Dean.

In the '50s and '60s, there were contractual successions from Joe Lubin, to Lou Adler, to Jan Berry in terms of official production. No matter the production, the name was Jan & Dean.

Unfortunately for Dean, it didn't work both ways.

sweetdudejim

• Arwin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 02:16:56 PM »
Wow. I hate to be mean about this, but what an asshole move by Dean.

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 07:30:46 PM »
You know if you think about it . Jan was the first to do it to Dean. Dean "Hey Jan are we gonna overdub the Falsetto on Surf City today "? Jan "No you did it yesterday ".  Dean " Oh ! How'd I sound " ? Jan Good real good". It was Jan & Dean without Dean so why would'nt it be Jan & Dean with out Jan ?
Forget the legal Smeagle stuff.

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 10:11:47 PM »
You know if you think about it . Jan was the first to do it to Dean. Dean "Hey Jan are we gonna overdub the Falsetto on Surf City today "? Jan "No you did it yesterday ".  Dean " Oh ! How'd I sound " ? Jan Good real good". It was Jan & Dean without Dean so why would'nt it be Jan & Dean with out Jan ?
Forget the legal Smeagle stuff.

The original era is what matters . . . the hit-making years that made them famous. Phase II was strictly a money-making operation, the Nostalgia circuit as an oldies act. An era that Jan very much needed.

The re-recordings by Dean during Phase II, marketed as J&D, did not enhance the original famous recordings. They diminished and took the focus away from the original hits . . . and ALL of the originals in general. Those recordings remain pervasive online, marketed as J&D. Thus the uninitiated hear that stuff, and many are fooled into thinking they're listening to the famous hits. Even worse, Internet "radio" jocks often don't know the difference . . . and the same goes for newbie critics.

And it's not really about one person vs. the other. If the roles were reversed, I would be saying exactly the same thing about Jan now.

And NONE of this takes away from Dean's crucial contributions to the original era.

It remains, however, a very unfortunate situation.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 10:20:09 PM by Mark A. Moore »

burton

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 07:39:49 PM »
It SO sad to hear Dean's remakes of the original hits. Total Shit. and people think that stuff is Jan's productions. I listen to internet radio and hear those remakes and it makes me sick. Thank the higher powers they used the originals hits in the Deadmans Curve movie. That could have really screwed things up even worse then it is now. You can listen to the originals in different stereo mixes and mono and the surf to drag mixes and its awesome to listen to. I listen to deans remakes and I want to run into a brick wall. just my opinion. b

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 04:43:09 AM »
Like Mark said, Dean was huge in Phase I. Obviously, he was Dean of Jan & Dean. But those remakes confuse everyone and they just aren't as good as the original. But they aren't bad either if it's not credited to Jan & Dean. That's what's bad-saying those remakes are Jan & Dean. Dean's not the only one. I've heard some pretty bad remakes on the radio and the DJ's think they are original. A lot of groups have done it. I'm happy to report that all the Jan & Dean played on XM Sirius radio are the originals. So that's good.