Author Topic: Dean Torrence: garage doo-wop with Jan, football with Elvis and living in Surf C  (Read 10074 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile
    • jananddean-janberry.com
Dean Torrence: garage doo-wop with Jan, football with Elvis and living in Surf City USA

http://rockabillynblues.blogspot.com/2011/12/dean-torrence-garage-doo-wop-with-jan.html

For a good summary of what happened with "Save For A Rainy Day" and "Carnival of Sound" . . . read this article, based on record company and legal documentation from the '60s.

Dean had a chance for his album to be released in 1967, but he turned it down:

Rainy Days In A Carnival of Sound: The Lost Renaissance of Jan & Dean

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 10:44:28 PM by admin »

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
As you all know, Brian has made the most wonderful announcement (from what I've read) and it sure is cool.  What a great Christmas gift I interpret it as to people who have cared about the Beach Boys.  :  )

And Dean has just given one of the best interviews ever.....

That's another COOL Christmas gift, too (to me....that's my interpretation):  (God bless him!!)

God bless them both...and their families
http://rockabillynblues.blogspot.com/2011/12/dean-torrence-garage-doo-wop-with-jan.html

That's a great article Mark. Also, I like the other one as well Mary. Thank ya'll.

I'm currently looking for the Popsicle article that Mark put on here a while back.
Mark, is that article still available to read. It's been awhile and I forgot some of the details.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 10:41:23 PM by admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile
That's a great article Mark. Also, I like the other one as well Mary. Thank ya'll.

I'm currently looking for the Popsicle article that Mark put on here a while back.
Mark, is that article still available to read. It's been awhile and I forgot some of the details.

Thanks

It's no longer on the Website, but the "Popsicle" / "Norwegian Wood" clarification is currently available in the liner notes I wrote for the Capitol Records digital re-issue of the "Popsicle" LP.

The forthcoming Sessionography will also offer some new insight on the "Popsicle" situation.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 10:35:48 PM by admin »

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
I also liked this interview . It must be hard people thinking you should feel a certain way . Not realizing the other person may be totally different . I understand his feelings about Carnival of Sound too. Maybe if it was more of a Jan Berry the writer , writing for other artist or for Dean the solo singer ( with back ground vocalist) . Things might have worked out better after the accident.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year ;)

positivemusic

• Dorť
    • View Profile
Normally, I feel Dean gets a bum rap, but he seems somewhat revisionist here in regards to Carnival Of Sound. He says he wasn't really into the psychedelic scene, but wasn't he pretty involved with Brian Wilson during the Smile era?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile

More and more, I think Dean is out of touch, and hasn't been a very good custodian of J&D's historical legacy.

DEAN: "Yeah, but those are the nut-jobs.  Thatís what Rhino was shooting for . . . Janís was made for the hardcore Jan fans that would buy just about anything he would do and/or those nut-jobs that absolutely love something thatís unreleased.  Quite honestly , the reason why most things arenít released is because it ainít very good.  They donít see it that way."

See, here's the thing. Aside from Dean's very limited self-released version of "Save For A Rainy Day" in '66, his own album remained commerically unreleased and unavailable to the masses for 30 years until 1996 . . . when the "nut-jobs" (as Dean calls the fans) were finally able to get it in a nice package. Artisically, both "Save For A Rainy Day" and "Carnival of Sound" have their pros and cons . . . but maybe Dean thinks the nut-jobs that bought "Rainy Day" are better than the nut-jobs who bought "Carnival."

DEAN: "I just wish a real collection of old Jan & Dean hits catalog would come out in such a nice package.  Iím always scratching my head.  To me, almost everything is 180⁰  from where it should be.  But Iíve learned to live with that.  Thatís been going on for 30-40 years.  Iím used to it now.  Why would you spend that much effort for that, when that effort could be hit for a real hits package?  Weíve never had a box set.  Iím too stubborn to go and try to force it down anyoneís throat because Iíll waste a bunch of time and it wonít happen anyway."

Sure, "Carnival" got a better package, and better liner notes, than "Rainy Day." But I've been clamoring for a J&D Box Set for years now . . . and Dean hasn't exactly been supportive.

DEAN: "I made sure that everything in our merchandise section was one of a kind or very rare.  Nothing is under $500.  Thereís a surf board for $3,500.  So you sell 1 or 2 a year, thatís fine.  Then the nut-jobs are very happy about that.  Unfortunately, the nut-jobs donít have a lot of money (laughs)."

Dean, my friend . . . It's the nut-jobs who are going to buy a J&D Box Set . . . if there ever is one.

This whole situation frustrates me, because Dean won't meet me half way on a cool project like the Sessionography. He doesn't seem to have any interest in projects like this that will illuminate the pre-accident era ó the original J&D era . . . the one that really matters ó in a way never seen before. A project that will benefit their historical legacy.

I don't need Dean's participation to pull it off ó it's well underway ó  but it would sure be damned nice to have it, on a number of levels. Not to mention the fans (I mean nut-jobs) appreciating it.

But I've ruffled Dean's feathers, and I can't live it down . . . Such is life  :)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile

Dean should also take a good look at the overall "Carnival" packaging and understand just how good a J&D Box Set would be . . . if the right people are involved.

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
I must say sometimes I think Dean listened to Doris Day's Kay Sirrah Sirrah a little too much.
I also wonder if he was somewhat kidding . I hear his Jan & Dean and other collections are very well cataloged and very well maintained. So he must care a lot about it.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile
I must say sometimes I think Dean listened to Doris Day's Kay Sirrah Sirrah a little too much.
I also wonder if he was somewhat kidding . I hear his Jan & Dean and other collections are very well cataloged and very well maintained. So he must care a lot about it.

I seriously doubt Dean was kidding.

But I would agree . . . in that Dean's an artist (in more than one sense of the word), and I would expect his J&D collection to be immaculate.

surferbee

• Ode
    • View Profile
The Carnival of Sound album package is an art form in itself. I would have though that Dean would have been proud to have contributed to its design.

I do agree with Mark - but isn't this both typical of how Jan and Dean were and a reason why their legacy has never been fully understood or appreciated. The sessionography is something that you would have expected Dean to back 100%.

I do wonder though (at the risk of further exaggerating any splits) that Dean might be worried that the sessionography will confirm that he wasn't on some of the records.

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
Punk Rockers from the 70's , refer to Jan & Dean as the First Punk Rocker's .
Maybe their right. In a ireverent kinda way.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile
The Carnival of Sound album package is an art form in itself. I would have though that Dean would have been proud to have contributed to its design.

I do agree with Mark - but isn't this both typical of how Jan and Dean were and a reason why their legacy has never been fully understood or appreciated. The sessionography is something that you would have expected Dean to back 100%.

I do wonder though (at the risk of further exaggerating any splits) that Dean might be worried that the sessionography will confirm that he wasn't on some of the records.

I don't think so. There are only a handful of music scores that notate vocal parts assigned to individuals. The Sloan falsettos are well known. So there's really nothing new there.

Bitman

• Liberty
    • View Profile
DEAN: "I just wish a real collection of old Jan & Dean hits catalog would come out in such a nice package."

Huh?

I can't think of a nicer package than the singles set Collector's Choice released a couple years ago.  All mono - the way Jan intended them to be heard on good ol' AM radio.

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
I agree Bitman!. That was a great collection and package! In fact, it was the top 5 selling CD that year. It stayed on Collector's top 200 chart for 3 years.

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
On Dean maybe not wanting it known that he
may not have sung on some hits.
The Movie DMC has I believe two examples of Jan telling Dean he sings off key.
Jennie Lee and I think
when their having the You'd still be Pumpin Gas aurgument.
I've always liked that . Wonder if he ever did tell him that.
And I'm still waiting to use the line .
That wouldnt even pay my laundry bill ! :o