Author Topic: single that should have been released.  (Read 4172 times)

1Jay1

• Ode
    • View Profile
single that should have been released.
« on: September 11, 2016, 04:20:52 AM »
what songs should have been released. I m going with ocean park angel bw its gotta be true. And Time and space bw whole lotta lovin. 2 good singles. Sure 2 top ten songs.

owen

• Liberty
    • View Profile
Re: single that should have been released.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 01:10:49 AM »
I will go for Three Window Coupe backed with Hot Stocker.

Three Window Coupe is one of my favourite J&D car songs  ;D

Cheers
owen

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 05:05:50 AM »
Definitely Hot Stocker. One of Jan's best compositions and productions. Also, I think I Can't Wait to Love You should have been the A side.

Surfin Again

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 09:46:09 AM »
I will go for Three Window Coupe backed with Hot Stocker.

Three Window Coupe is one of my favourite J&D car songs  ;D

Cheers
owen

TWC is no good choice as it had been released as a 45 by the Rip Chords

1Jay1

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 12:39:07 AM »
Definitely Hot Stocker. One of Jan's best compositions and productions. Also, I think I Can't Wait to Love You should have been the A side.
i m sure i ve seen a photo of cant wait to love you as an A side. Then turned to a bside.

AlJolson59

• Arwin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 06:45:50 AM »
1963:
SURF ROUTE 101/Hot Stocker

1964:
BUCKET T/Hey Little Freshman
SURFIN' WILD/The Restless Surfer
ONE PIECE TOPLESS BATHING SUIT/Horace, the Swingin' School Bus Driver

1965:
WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I NEEDED YOU/Yesterday

1966:
HANG ON SLOOPY (live/original Filet of Soul comedy mix)/Hide Your Love Away

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 12:34:19 PM »
Bucket T and One Piece Topless Bathing Suit were released by other artists as was Where Were You. But I agree with Hot Stocker and Surf Route and Surfin Wild.

Your best suggestion is the Hang On Sloopy with Hide Your Love Away single. That could've been a 2 sided hit. Great live performances there. Of course, Silkie did have a hit with Hide Your Love Away. But still, would've been a great single.

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 10:25:21 PM »
Bucket T and One Piece Topless Bathing Suit were released by other artists as was Where Were You.

The Folk 'n Roll album was released in November 1965, so "Where Were You When I Needed You" could have been a viable single for Jan & Dean, had it been released. The Grass Roots didn't release their single version of the song until June 1966.

surferbee

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 09:09:23 AM »
Where were you when I needed You was a great production. A definite hit.

AlJolson59

• Arwin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 08:02:43 AM »
I think another missed opportunity passed by in late 1978, with two tracks from the second version of the Deadman's Curve soundtrack (not the earlier RSO version), tentatively scheduled for release in the fall on Pacific Arts.  I think this pairing would have done well, as the A side has a polished late 70s sound for Top 40 radio  and the country vide combined with the PR benefits of a new Jan Berry vocal on the B side could  have made this a double-sided hit...

LIKE A SUMMER RAIN ('78 version)/JENNIE LEE ('78 Bluegrass Version)

sweetdudejim

• Arwin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 08:27:11 AM »
I think another missed opportunity passed by in late 1978, with two tracks from the second version of the Deadman's Curve soundtrack (not the earlier RSO version), tentatively scheduled for release in the fall on Pacific Arts.  I think this pairing would have done well, as the A side has a polished late 70s sound for Top 40 radio  and the country vide combined with the PR benefits of a new Jan Berry vocal on the B side could  have made this a double-sided hit...

LIKE A SUMMER RAIN ('78 version)/JENNIE LEE ('78 Bluegrass Version)

Wait...the Silver Summer version of "Like a Summer Rain" is from 1978? Really? And Jan is on the "bluegrass" version? That's the version that appears on the Dean Torrence Anthology album right?

AlJolson59

• Arwin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 09:16:47 AM »

<<Wait...the Silver Summer version of "Like a Summer Rain" is from 1978? Really?>

Yes.  Dean put together a Deadman's Curve soundtrack LP in early 1978 that contained Sidewalk Surfin', Surf City. Barbara Ann, Little Old Lady, Little Deuce Coupe, Pipeline, Wipe Out, Deadman's Curve, Thanks for Buying Our Album, Get A Job, I Only Have Eyes for You, Teenager in Love and One Summer Night.  This was due for release on RSO but the deal fell through.  In the summer or fall he regrouped with Papa, Mike Love and Celebration to do a new soundtrack, with all new recordings.  Some of them ended up on the Silver Summer release in 1984.  Other tracks, like Baby Talk, Shut Down, etc. did not.  Like A Summer Rain was among the tracks cut for this 1978 release.  Mike Nesmith's Pacific Arts label was the destination for this version II Deadman's Curve soundtrack.

<< And Jan is on the "bluegrass" version? That's the version that appears on the Dean Torrence Anthology album right?>>

Yes.  This was also cut in 1978 for the version II soundtrack.  It's Jan singing the bomps.