Author Topic: The Jan & Dean Record: Interviews, Reviews, and Commentary  (Read 15527 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile
    • jananddean-janberry.com
Re: Interviews, Reviews, and Commentary
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2016, 02:36:26 AM »
Moore brings Jan Berry into a spotlight most have not seen him in. . . . [He] takes us through the joyful and painful story of Jan & Dean's career not only with words but also with 164 visual delights . . . a collection worthy of an exhibition. . . . The Jan & Dean Record is a worthy graduate level text for fans and aficionados. . . . If you’re looking for an authoritative, almost-daily documentary-in-print, then look no further than this tome. Preserving the legacy of Jan & Dean, and telling the story of how they made rock and roll history. Mark Moore has done it well.

— PHIL MIGLIORATTI, Endless Summer Quarterly

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 12:21:27 PM by admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2016, 08:36:55 PM »
It looks GREAT! Very nice job. What I have read I really like. Most of my feelings were very positive, but at the same time I really felt great sadness for Jan. The back-end business details seemed pretty accurate to me. It was interesting how certain people remembered stuff. The Easy Come, Easy Go [original script] synopsis gave me the creeps! Jan and I were going to ask for some big-time changes. We hated the Ape and a bunch of other stuff. The genius old comedians [set to appear in the film] also thought a lot of the script was trite and planned to do their own thing, a lot of improvisation, which they were great at.

Dean Torrence, of Jan & Dean
www.jananddean.com
www.facebook.com/OfficialDeanTorrence

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 12:24:02 PM by admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 11:59:39 AM »
July 12, 2016

Mark A. Moore Interview — Shades of Cool, with Ian Wagner, WUAG 1-3.1 FM

Music and Discussion . . .

TRACK LIST:

"Drag City" — Pop Symphony (1965)

"Jennie Lee" — Jan & Arnie (1958)

"Baby Talk" — (1959)

"Surf City" — (1963)

"Honolulu Lulu" — (1963)

"Drag City" — (1963)

"Dead Man's Curve" — (1964)

"I'm Dying To Give You My Love " — Pixie (1961)

"I Adore Him" — The Angels (1963)

"It's As Easy As 1, 2, 3" — (1964)

"The Little Old Lady (from Pasadena)" — Isolated Vocals with Brass and Woodwinds (1964)

"Ride the Wild Surf" — (1964)

"The Anaheim, Azusa & Cucamonga Sewing Circle, Book Review and Timing Association" — (1964)

"(Here They Come) From All Over the World" — (1965)

Filet of Soul — Original Concept Excerpts (1966)

"Batman" — (1966)

"Like A Summer Rain" — (1966)

"Girl, You're Blowing My Mind" — (1968)

"Carnival of Sound" — (1968)

« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 03:55:34 AM by Mark A. Moore »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2016, 05:07:28 AM »
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 03:47:17 AM by Mark A. Moore »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2016, 03:22:34 PM »
An extraordinary book in which the sheer volume of minutiae combines to engulf the reader and immerse them completely in the world of Jan Berry. . . . The level of detail in the chronology is nothing short of astonishing. . . . The Jan & Dean Record can also be read as a conventional and thoroughly absorbing Berry biography. The chronology is fleshed out with large chunks of narrative text detailing the events of Berry’s life—and what a life it was, as compelling and, ultimately, tragic as anything you could find in fiction. Berry had it all. . . . He lived the first 25 years of his life in top gear, without any regard for rules or consequences. . . . He was a fine songwriter, and an exceptionally gifted arranger and producer. . . The details of [Jan’s] traumatic [car] accident are covered in scrupulous detail here for the first time. . . . The last three decades of his life, his efforts to make a living in the music industry, with and without Dean, make for sometimes depressing reading. . . . This book is an astounding monument to Berry’s many accomplishments, but also a heart-breaking cautionary tale about a life lived too fast. Beyond definitive, it raises the bar for the rock chronology format to a level that may never be surpassed.

Mike Stax, Ugly Things Magazine #42

http://ugly-things.com/
https://www.facebook.com/Ugly-Things-Magazine-89900510433/

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 12:07:42 PM by admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2016, 10:03:50 PM »
Not even the Beatles have had so much detail on their career written in one book.  If it is not in these pages, then it probably never happened. Rarely is the history of anything so well recorded. It's the only book that accurately tells the story behind my writing of "The Road Back From Dead Man's Curve" for Rolling Stone (1974), which led to the film about Jan & Dean titled Deadman's Curve (1978). It's also a lifetime story, the author's love of everything Jan & Dean.

Paul Morantz
Author of Escape: My Lifelong War Against Cults and
From Miracle to Madness: The True Story of Charles Dederich and Synanon (cover design by Dean Torrence)
http://www.paulmorantz.com/

« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 10:09:32 PM by admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2016, 01:25:34 PM »
Dean Torrence has a new interview with Phil Miglioratti (Pray for Surf) promoting Dean’s new memoir, “Surf City: The Jan & Dean Story.” There’s a brief discussion of Mark A. Moore’s new book “The Jan & Dean Record,” beginning at 59:23. Check it out:

https://archive.org/embed/DeanTorrenceOct32016

"I liked it a lot. . . . [Mark A. Moore] did a lot of research. And I actually used it to come up with specific dates and stuff that I didn’t remember, for my book. So it became very helpful to me, at least to make it a little bit more detailed by knowing the actual date that something happened. So I thanked him for that. . . . [The Jan & Dean Record] was a lot of work. . . . God, it made me tired just reading it."

Dean Torrence of Jan & Dean
Interview with Phil Miglioratti (Pray for Surf), October 3, 2016

« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 08:56:51 AM by admin »

owen

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2016, 01:02:10 AM »
I listened to this all the way through and the most interesting part for me was the point about 55 minutes in when they start talking about Filet of Soul and Dean says that he is talking with someone about putting the original version out with the artwork as originally intended.

I would be very happy to see and hear this at last :)

Owen

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2016, 05:05:37 AM »
I sure hope the original Filet of Soul is released. I'd love to have it on vinyl with the original cover concept.
I enjoyed listening to Dean talk about Dead Man's Curve. He seems to have a good memory of that one. I was also happy to hear him thank Mark for his book. I'm glad that worked out well.
The part on I Found a Girl was a little awkward cause Dean was put on the spot there. He wasn't on that one and I'm sure he has little memory of it. But it was a great interview. Thanks for posting.

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2016, 02:45:08 PM »
Yeah, I hope it works out for the release of Filet of Soul.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2016, 08:50:18 AM »
"It is impossible not to applaud the depth and scope of research that must have gone into putting together this weighty tome about the Californian Titanic Twosome. . . . Some will be after chart facts, others may look for recording session details, while there will also be an audience for background stories and info; all of these are here. . . . There is a wealth of visual material along the way, and you do feel confident about the veracity of all of the content. . . ." [NOTE: This reviewer did not like some of the details or the chronological layout of the book].

Kingsley Abbott
Record Collector Magazine

http://recordcollectormag.com/reviews/jan-dean-record-chronology-studio-sessions-live-performances-chart-positions

« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 08:52:21 AM by admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2016, 06:56:45 PM »

Dean Torrence interview with David Beard (Good Vibrations Podcast). The Jan & Dean Record is mentioned briefly near the end.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Good_Vibes50/good_vibes_dean_torrence/

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2016, 08:26:41 PM »
Congratulations on your documentation of The Jan & Dean Record. Your research and timeline with the facts sparks a 10-Plus. For pop music fans remember Jan Berry was producing, writing, and singing on hit records before Gary Paxton, Brian Wilson, Phil Spector, and Terry Melcher. Jan & Dean belong in the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame. Some of my greatest memories in the music and radio years were with Jan Berry and Dean Torrence.

JIM PEWTER, Disc jockey, Armed Forces Radio and Television Service; Program director, K-EARTH and KRLA radio; Co-writer and co-producer of "Fun City" (Jan & Dean) and "Sing Sang A Song" (Jan Berry)
AFRTS Archive

« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 10:34:28 PM by admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2016, 04:53:21 AM »
Mark A. Moore Interview
Music and discussion with Dave "Ghosty" Wills

The Vintage Rock & Pop Shop

WFDU 89.1 FM
January 1, 2017

wfdu.fm

« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 03:41:12 AM by Mark A. Moore »

luckless

• Arwin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2016, 09:43:45 PM »
Shucks, why did Amazon charge me $37.49? (on November 18)  Oh well, still worth every penny :-)