Author Topic: Cover Art by Dean Torrence  (Read 12416 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile
    • jananddean-janberry.com
Cover Art by Dean Torrence
« on: February 09, 2010, 09:46:50 PM »
Front cover:

Back Cover:

owen

• Liberty
    • View Profile
Re: Cover Art by Dean Torrence
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 10:19:21 PM »
That is a very nice cover indeed. Dean has managed to evoke the feeling of a contemporary cover - a cover that the album might have had if it had been released when it was created - and he has managed to do this without being directly nostalgic.

Incidentally, too little has been made of Dean's design work for J&D in the period before the accident. The posters and tour brochures show that he was in the vanguard of the move to Mouse & Kelley-like hand lettering. The lettering on this cover shows that he still remembers how to do it - and that he is still a master at it :)

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 10:43:15 PM »
Yeah, Andrew Sandoval was telling me that Dean spent three days doing the "Jan & Dean" hand lettering.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 10:47:39 PM by Mark A. Moore »

1Jay1

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 01:57:40 PM »
Love the Artwork,but don t like the photo used as to all jan and dean fans will know this was taken before the Album was recorded,why wasn t a photo used in 1967 like the photos mark has put on this web site,they could have been used,and to me makes the Album feel with the time,theres some great photos taken of both jan and dean apart around this time,

What a shame

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 02:12:06 PM »
We had this discussion on Andrew Sandoval's Facebook page . . . so I'll repeat some of it here:

The post-accident promo shots are in the packaging, but Andrew wanted color for the cover. Dean originally chose the treble clef photo, but that was too early, (almost like putting the "Shut Down Vol. 2" Beach Boys on the cover of "Smiley Smile"). Dean could have chosen any number of later photos from his collection, but he didn't.

The "Carnival of Sound" saga actually starts in early 1966, so the photo is pretty close. Dean's hair started getting a bit longer, but it's close.

Fans will be surprised to find out that recording for a certain song was begun in early '66, before the accident. And it's not "Only A Boy."

But he time period is pretty well covered in the packaging, in terms of photos. And on the last page, Dean's rockin' a Beatle haircut from '66.

At any rate, the cover photo shows Jan & Dean in an avant-garde pose -- they're holding flowers, Jan's wearing sandals -- and they have a deadpan expression similar to the treble clef photo (which Dean originally chose). It's pretty illustrative of their transitional phase.

According to Andrew, Dean's initial design looked like something for the Grateful Dead :)

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 10:39:38 AM »
There may be a simple explanation of why Dean did'nt use a COS era photo of him and Jan . And thats , that maybe there wasnt a "good one" of them together from that time frame . I've seen some of the guy's together in Jan's house and Dean looks fat. Not a good pic at all .

RobH

• Arwin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 05:29:30 PM »
I like the cover. I can dig it! :)

Bitman

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 09:49:02 PM »
Fans will be surprised to find out that recording for a certain song was begun in early '66, before the accident. And it's not "Only A Boy."

I'm usually lousy at this, but I'll go with Louisiana Man because I'd swear on the live Anthology Album side I hear the band breaking into the first few bars of the song on several occasions...plus I thought I read somewhere Jan had planned to lay down the vocals to it later in the evening of April 12 had the accident not happened.  But, I could be wrong...

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 11:33:45 PM »
No . . . "Louisiana Man" is a well known entity, in terms of a pre-accident track produced by Jan Berry. And there are others on the album that fit this category, as well.

J&D did use a clip from Rusty & Doug's '61 version of "Louisiana Man" in their original (unreleased) concept for Filet of Soul in '65 . . . (which was later excerpted on Side 4 of Anthology in '71.

So my statement still stands . . . Fans will be surprised that a certain Carnival song was begun in early '66, before the accident.

M.

burton

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 05:37:14 AM »
I'll go with " HAWAII". It's sounds so pre-accident.   

No one probably cares but in anticipation of the arrival of COS. I've been listening to the INTL 1968 boot of COS. You know it's not that bad. I've heard the other(crap) boots. This wasn't a bad comp of the project, And yes mark i know the liner's are off. Atleast we had that for a few years to hold us over.

Hope i get my COS soon.  b

David Beard

• Warner Bros.
  • www.ESQuarterly.com
    • View Profile
    • Endless Summer Quarterly
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 10:07:32 AM »
It's really cool… Kudos to Mark Moore, Andrew Sandoval and Domenic Priore and the entire Rhni Handmade group for a well-packaged product. 

1Jay1

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 01:25:41 PM »
It has to be tijuanna,

I have two versions of this song and i hope the version on the cd is the clear version and not the version released on the single,I can t understand why they put that version out,maybe a mistake at the pressing plant,

Anyone reply and tell me its the clear version,i m one of the guys who doesn t have this yet

David Beard

• Warner Bros.
  • www.ESQuarterly.com
    • View Profile
    • Endless Summer Quarterly
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 01:46:49 PM »
The liner notes discuss this, and yes, it's clearer.

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 04:19:25 PM »
It's neither "Hawaii" nor "Tijuana" . . . Keep guessin', Jason.

Mike

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 08:47:34 PM »
I'm not Jason, but if I may, I think it was Fan Tan. 
Looking forward to getting my copy too!