Author Topic: Jan's best album cut production  (Read 104 times)

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
Jan's best album cut production
« on: November 06, 2019, 04:48:53 AM »
Just for the fun of it, I'd like to know opinions on what was Jan's best non hit production. This is really difficult because he had so many great productions on those albums. I'm going to go with Hot Stocker from the Drag City album. That's one I've been listening to a lot and the instrumental track is awesome.But tomorrow I may pick a different one, because they were all so good.

NateRuvin

• Liberty
    • View Profile
Re: Jan's best album cut production
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 11:09:26 PM »
I couldn't choose one...

Strictly album cuts: Ocean Park Angel, Little Deuce Coupe, Blowin My Mind, Hot Lookin Lady Only A Boy, Love Her Tonight, One Piece Topless Bathing Suit, Hawaii, The Restless Surfer (although, not arranged by Jan) , Hot Stocker, Surfin Safari, Barbara Ann (not produced by Jan, but great album cut), Palisades Park (same as the former),

B sides that I love: When It's Over, Easy As 123, A Surfer's Dream

And as far as Dean's production: Summer Rain (Original), California Girls (Silver Summer), Fun, Fun, Fun (Papa Re-Record), and Sunny Afternoon are all pretty good if you ask me.

owen

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 02:26:23 AM »
Three Window Coupe - I think it is good as any of the hit singles!

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 04:15:45 AM »
Three Window Coupe-good one Owen. Of course, the Rip Chords had a top 30 hit with that Jan Berry composition. Nate, I love One Piece Topless Bathing Suit as a Jan Berry produced album cut! However, I just can't put any of the Phase II songs in the same category as the original era. But that's just me. Thanks guys

Surfermike

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 06:25:01 AM »
I totally agree with Hot Stocker. This is one of my top 5 songs of J&D’s. Great production. Listen how it starts with those horns blasting. One Piece Topless Bathing Suit and 3 Window Coupe are right up there. A rarely mentioned song, which was a b-side and never made it on an album, is Freeway Flyer. The background vocals are top notch and the Wrecking Crew are at their finest.

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 04:58:52 AM »
Freeway Flyer-great choice! Every time I listen to that one in my car, I look around for cops. lol The siren gets me every time.

surferbee

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 11:51:30 AM »
There are so many. Three Window, Hot Stocker definitely - I love Waimea Bay, I Gotta Drive, Horace, A Surfer's Dream. All hallmarked by fantastic production and arrangements.