Author Topic: The 1977 Re-recordings.  (Read 26590 times)

BlackSea

• Ode
    • View Profile
Re: The 1977 Re-recordings.
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2014, 05:07:57 PM »
Now you've done it Blacksea you've upset somone on the forum. I was wondering how long it would take before someone took offence. Just for the record actorman I was referring to the music nothing else.
Blacksea at least you didnt come back with the line "some of my best friends are gay"
Actorman I can assure you Blacksea isnt homophobic.
He wears Hawaiian shirts in public and grew up in the gay area of Sydney a suburb called Newtown.
But if you want to come back at him go for it, hes a bit of head swell hahaha.

Newtown, the cosmopolitan district of Sydney similar to Greenwich Village New York.
Head swell hey. 1WALLY1 on the other hand originates from the redneck part of town,
beach suburb Maroubra. Well known for turf wars between anglo saxon surfers and the rest of the population. And yes Wally's one of them. If you dont wear the right threads or look like asurfer youre on the outer.
Wally get yourself a decent Hawaiian shirt and keep that sun tan lotion on your neck hahaha.

Mike1965

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2014, 06:58:48 PM »
We all have our opinions.  Mine is that Surf and Drag was horrible! I felt very ripped off by it when I was 13 years old.  We can disagree, Jan wouldn't care.

1WALLY1

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2014, 07:01:20 PM »
Man I'm tired of hearing/talking about these rerecordings, were going around in circles. I'm off to do some surfin and listening to Jan and Dean. I'll tune in same time next year. Blacksea I'll keep in touch anything new comes in I'll let you know. If you wanna come to Maroubra Beach for some surfin let me know I'll be your personal body guard. My redneck cohorts wont give you a hard time as long as I'm around, haha.
Cheers Guys
Keep on listening to Jan and Dean

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2014, 07:04:39 PM »
We all have our opinions.  Mine is that Surf and Drag was horrible! I felt very ripped off by it when I was 13 years old.  We can disagree, Jan wouldn't care.

Mike, I agree. At the time, I felt the sound wasn't the same as what I heard in the movie, but it was still ok. After I bought Anthology, I put Surf and Drag up for good.
Wally, you make a good point too. Jan & Dean rock! (especially the originals lol)

BlackSea

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2014, 07:36:45 PM »
Man I'm tired of hearing/talking about these rerecordings, were going around in circles. I'm off to do some surfin and listening to Jan and Dean. I'll tune in same time next year. Blacksea I'll keep in touch anything new comes in I'll let you know. If you wanna come to Maroubra Beach for some surfin let me know I'll be your personal body guard. My redneck cohorts wont give you a hard time as long as I'm around, haha.
Cheers Guys
Keep on listening to Jan and Dean

I think you got a point there Wally I might follow.
Kann hope you sort out the rerecordings but what ever you do stay away from the Mike and Dean tracks theyre not good for your health lol.
Good luck.

Kann

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2014, 10:16:21 PM »
One more question until we can let this post die for another few years. Does any one have a list of the songs Dean rerecorded durin the mid late 70s.

I know of ten but know he did quite a few songs that were not jan and dean or beach boys.

1. Surf City
2. Dead Man's Curve
3. Ride the Wild Surf
4. Rhonda Help Me
5. Little Duece Coupe
6. Fun, Fun Fun
7. I Get Around
8. Sidewalk Surfin'
9. Drag City
10. The Little Old Lady from Pasadena

I know there are more to add to the list.

Thanks for any more help!

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2014, 11:14:17 AM »
It's my understanding that Dean did the remakes for the movie that was coming up. As they did'nt think they could use the original tracks. So if you've spent the money. put in the time and effort as he did with S4ARDay . Why would'nt you put it out ?

Garneau Mike Woonsocket

• Arwin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2014, 05:56:24 PM »
I don't care much for the K-Tel releases. I prefer the original recordings.

Moon Dawg

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2014, 02:03:31 PM »
  I once bought a Jan & Dean album that may have consisted of these remakes. A few bars in and it felt like I'd been had. Not that the remakes were awful but accept no substitute for the original classics.

Similarly, avoid the Mercury records album Chuck Berry's Golden Hits. (Featuring "Club Nitty Gritty")

1Jay1

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2014, 10:58:15 AM »
In 1979, Capitol-EMI released "A Liberty Re-Issue" called Deadman's Curve (spelled like the movie), which featured original recordings.

It's just that the re-recording blitz obscured and confused everything, at the time.

This is another Lp I m looking for my collection,I wonder if anyone can help