Author Topic: Back ground on rare CDs?  (Read 6730 times)

Kann

• Ode
    • View Profile
Back ground on rare CDs?
« on: August 05, 2014, 04:08:15 PM »
Does anyone know any history of these CDs? bootlegs?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/bohemia*rich/m.html?_from=R40%7CR40&_sacat=0&_nkw=jan+dean&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

I have never heard of them before but they have some great rare Jan & Dean music I have always wanted to hear! There are songs I never even hear of before and some really rare takes.

BlackSea

• Ode
    • View Profile
Re: Back ground on rare CDs?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 10:47:39 AM »
Thanks for the big tip Kann. I might buy some of the earrings they'll come in handy when I listen to some of that "dirty hippie music". Lol

Kann

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 04:06:24 PM »

Mike1965

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 06:20:29 AM »
I purchased Jan & Dean - More Studio Out-Takes & Remixes.  It should arrive today.  I will let you know how the sound quality is.

ripplewine

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 08:11:30 AM »
I have that CD--I found the sound quality to be pretty good; even the studio chatter in the background is clear.

Bitman

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 09:04:06 AM »
I bought the Filet of Soul "A Live One" cd and a DVD that included the TV pilot from the guy maybe 10 years ago. I think the guy's name was Shaun Crossen or something like that and it seems to me he was an amateur wrestler out of Wisconsin. 

ripplewine

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 05:49:42 PM »
I like that CD--I thought it was really interesting to hear both versions of Jan & Dean's proposed album in their entirety.  Before getting this one, I'd heard only the abridged version that was on the Anthology album from 1971.  I got the CD from an online site about six years ago--I'm pretty sure it's the same one that Shawn Crossen put together.

surferbee

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 11:55:54 AM »
More Studio Out-Takes & Remixes.

Any chance of seeing the track list? Thanks

ripplewine

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 12:21:23 PM »
Hi, surferbee!

Actually I confused this CD with "The Best of Studio Out-Takes Vol.1 & 2" in my earlier post.

Anyway, here's the track listing for the one you were asking about:

Gotta Getta Date (garage demo)
I Love Linda (studio outtake)
Jeannette Get Your Hair Done (garage demo)
I Gotta Drive (studio demo)
Gonna Hustle You (Brian Wilson's demo)
Get A Chance With You (alternate take)
J & D on the Lloyd Thaxton Show-1965
Only A Boy (unreleased single)
Cajun Joe (instrumental version)
Girl You're Blowing My Mind (Jan Berry Warner single)
Laurel & Hardy (Davey Jones studio demo)
Blow Up Music (instrumental version)
Jan Berry Demos (That's the Way it Is/She Sing Sang a Song)
Jenny Lee (Silver Summer alternate cut)
Baby Talk (Silver Summer alternate cut)
Spring Break (radio version)
Spring Break (album version)
Batman (club remix)
Summer Means Fun (enhanced stereo remix)
Sidewalk Surfin' (enhanced stereo remix)
Drag City (enhanced stereo remix)
Dead Man's Curve (enhanced stereo remix) the single version from '64
New Girl In School (enhanced stereo remix)
Surf City (enhanced stereo remix)
Ride the Wild Surf (enhanced stereo remix)
A.A.C.S.C.B.R.T.A. (enhanced stereo remix)
Little Old Lady From Pasadena (enhanced stereo club remix)

The sound quality is pretty good overall, considering they're boots.  The only exceptions here are Jan's two demos from the '70s--That's the Way it Is and Sing Sang a Song.  Quality is very bad on those.  Brian's demo of Gonna Hustle You is better, but still marginal in the sound department.

On the "enhanced stereo remixes," basically what they did was put the vocals on both the left and right channels. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 12:33:34 PM by ripplewine »

Kann

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 05:31:05 PM »
does anyone know if the filet of soul that guy was selling the set list planned to be released? Is that kathys clown comparable to the everly brothers version.

ripplewine

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 06:46:08 PM »
Yes, that compilation has the complete set lists of both submissions to Liberty for Filet of Soul, as Jan planned to release it.  One set list featured more songs and less talk, and the other one was vice-versa.

Jan & Dean's rendition of Kathy's Clown is similar to the Everly Brothers', but to me it sounds rough and unpolished by comparison, as if they hadn't rehearsed it much.  It was done live for the album.

Kann

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 08:29:09 PM »
I never knew they J&D did a cover of kathys clown I am surprise it didnt get released on the later version of Filet of Soul. There werent many songs on both versions of filet of souls Jan put in. where did liberty get all of the songs from their versoin of Filet of souls and still didnt include kathys clown?

ripplewine

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 09:41:58 PM »
I don't know why Liberty didn't decide to include Kathy's Clown.  I haven't listened to the released version in a while, but I believe most of the songs were culled from various live performances.  Gonna Hustle You was an unused Jan & Dean studio take from '63, and they used the Drag City album version of Dead Man's Curve from the same year.  So in Liberty's official version, not all of the songs were live, despite what the front cover says...

Kann

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 06:53:08 PM »
On the "enhanced stereo remixes," basically what they did was put the vocals on both the left and right channels.
Can you tell the difference on these songs? i listened really closely and couldnt really tell. Could you?

ripplewine

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 11:13:34 AM »
I could tell the difference--the lead vocals come from the right speaker as well as the left; it's a lot more obvious if you're using headphones, which I often do.  It can also depend on the type of sound system you're using; mine's one of the ancient big stereos made in the '80s..
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:17:29 AM by ripplewine »