Author Topic: Jan & Dean On The Run concert footage  (Read 7748 times)

Ban n Bean

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
Jan & Dean On The Run concert footage
« on: April 07, 2010, 02:14:47 AM »
Hello,

What still exists of the Jan & Dean On The Run TV pilot?  There are video copies floating about but what about the original film or camera negative?  Does the entire concert footage still exist?

If the 35mm film still exists it could be put on Blu-Ray in HD (4:3 aspect ratio).

Thanks!

David Beard

• Warner Bros.
  • www.ESQuarterly.com
    • View Profile
    • Endless Summer Quarterly
Re: Jan & Dean On The Run concert footage
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 12:57:39 PM »
How would you market it?

Surfin Again

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 08:24:44 AM »
How would you market it?
Good question

Would probably sell in the fan circle only

Speaking of it, I would like to see a "triple feature" with the "On the Run" pilot, the "Surf Scene" film and a complete live concert from the sixties, preferably 1965

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 11:14:16 AM »
There are several audio tapes of material from the remote in San Diego (late '65), in the vaults at EMI.

This was the concert(s) for the '66 TV pilot.

alanforrester

• Arwin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 03:43:49 PM »
a full live concert from 62 or up to 1966......now THAT is what I'd really like to buy.  The TAMi stuff is great but tantalisingly short---more must exist from that period surely.

Surfin Again

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 11:09:19 PM »
I would vote for the '65 - '66 period, where the humour is a big part of the show

Imagine seeing a video of the concert where Side 4 of the "Anthology Album" is from

ripplewine

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 06:03:26 PM »
I agree, Surfin Again--their humor did take center stage during that period!  I do have a copy of the TV pilot on DVD, but it just has that small snippet of the concert Mark was talking about.

Ban n Bean

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 09:42:02 PM »
If there's tape, there should be film (I hope).

alanforrester

• Arwin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 09:35:39 AM »
I'd be happy just to HEAR genuine 'live' (as opposed to Command Performance (though I LOVE that !!) and, yes, 65--66 would be fine too :--).

Also, someone mentioned recently some fantastic Dec 1965 performance............;

obviously, am not into bootlegs---(!) but what are the chances of a fan of 46 years standing getting to hear such live stuff from Liberty(or its successors) ???????????

ripplewine

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 05:58:39 PM »
Yes, Jan & Dean recorded the live material for their intended Filet of Soul album at the Hullabaloo Night Club in December 1965.

I, too, would prefer not to buy bootlegs if I can avoid it, but some of their material (like their first two proposals to Liberty for Filet of Soul) is available in no other form at the moment, except for the "Live" side of the Anthology Album--that's about half of the FOS album as Jan & Dean intended it.  The odd thing about the TV Pilot DVD is that it was made by what I suspect is a bootleg outfit, but the eBay seller claimed that Dean was being paid royalties for its sales.  At a Jan & Dean concert I went to later that year (2003), they were selling a Dead Man's Curve movie DVD at the autograph table made by that same outfit!  I'm still curious about that!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 06:13:51 PM by ripplewine »

Kann

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 09:57:03 AM »
Any report yet of Live footage from J&D or on the run on DVD?

Mike1965

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 07:01:38 PM »
Where do you buy these bootlegs?

ripplewine

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 05:38:05 AM »
Where do you buy these bootlegs?

I found a number of them on a website called CDBaby.com, which no longer had Jan & Dean CDs the last time I looked.  The On the Run TV pilot and "Jan & Dean TV Time Capsule Vol. 1"  I found on eBay over ten years ago, but I can't remember now who the seller was.