Author Topic: Jan recorded an incomplete song (or not?)  (Read 9464 times)

King Fred II

• Arwin
    • View Profile
    • Youtube-movies (including J&D and Beach Boys covers)
Jan recorded an incomplete song (or not?)
« on: January 07, 2010, 01:29:12 PM »
In the movie "Dead Man's Curve" Jan goes back into the studio after his accident. We see him singing "little lovely lady, really love her, she's my baby" etc (or rather: we see Richard Hatch doing it). Then in the middle of the song he stops and leaves.

Did that really happen?

Mark A. Moore

Re: Jan recorded an incomplete song (or not?)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 03:00:36 PM »
In the movie "Dead Man's Curve" Jan goes back into the studio after his accident. We see him singing "little lovely lady, really love her, she's my baby" etc (or rather: we see Richard Hatch doing it). Then in the middle of the song he stops and leaves.

Did that really happen?

No . . . The movie was fictionalized in general, but especially when it came to the musical aspect of Jan's career (as oppsed to J&D's personal relationship).

David Beard

• Warner Bros.
  • www.ESQuarterly.com
    • View Profile
    • Endless Summer Quarterly
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »
I don't have proof… Mark probably does. But I think the first "solo efforts" Jan made, which is what I felt that part of the film was depicting, were "The Magic Of Making Love" and "Mother Earth."

Mark?

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 09:00:21 PM »
Yeah,  those were the early lead vocal attempts. Jan was composing throughout the late '60s, after Carnival . . . and I wish he had finished "Flight No. 9 (Cheyenne)," which dates from '69.

What's bad about that scene in the movie is (1) using a fictional song needlessly; and (2) depicting Jan as giving up without finishing something.

They should have shown Jan working on "Mother Earth," listening to the playback, etc. The song was released in '72, and would have fit the timeline; and I have no doubt that Lou Adler would have let them use the track for free, if neccessary.

But there was a different agenda, with Dean being the advisor for the film. It was all about their caustic personal relationship . . . leading up to the crash and comeback on the nostalgia circuit. Dean is the one who had meetings with the screenwriter (Dalene Young) and production staff. I've interviewed both Young and director Richard Compton.

Again, the film is bogus from a musical career standpoint. It doesn't even show Jan producuing the music.

But it did get them back on the road again.

The Paul Morantz article is much more accurate than the movie. But even Paul's piece erred in totally skipping the Carnival of Sound sessions. He went right from the crash to the early '70s solo material.

Legacy-wise, the movie was both good and bad for Jan.

1Jay1

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 12:55:03 AM »
Talking of un finished songs,jan was working on a song in 2004,the words were put on the old message board in a post,but i wondered if this song will be finished and put on the Tribute vol 2 cd,as one of jans last works,
I m sure mark knows what song i m talking about

David Beard

• Warner Bros.
  • www.ESQuarterly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 06:43:38 AM »
Yeah,  those were the early lead vocal attempts. Jan was composing throughout the late '60s, after Carnival . . . and I wish he had finished "Flight No. 9 (Cheyenne)," which dates from '69.

What's bad about that scene in the movie is (1) using a fictional song needlessly; and (2) depicting Jan as giving up without finishing something.

They should have shown Jan working on "Mother Earth," listening to the playback, etc. The song was released in '72, and would have fit the timeline; and I have no doubt that Lou Adler would have let them use the track for free, if neccessary.

But there was a different agenda, with Dean being the advisor for the film. It was all about their caustic personal relationship . . . leading up to the crash and comeback on the nostalgia circuit. Dean is the one who had meetings with the screenwriter (Dalene Young) and production staff. I've interviewed both Young and director Richard Compton.

Again, the film is bogus from a musical career standpoint. It doesn't even show Jan producuing the music.

But it did get them back on the road again.

The Paul Morantz article is much more accurate than the movie. But even Paul's piece erred in totally skipping the Carnival of Sound sessions. He went right from the crash to the early '70s solo material.

Legacy-wise, the movie was both good and bad for Jan.

Dean has said that he wasn't happy with the end result because they had to literally cut so many corners, specifically removing Arinie's name all together. I have the original script, and the film was initially a two-part (two evening movie) that had to be cut down to one night. I don't know that that would have made any difference but it would have provided the filmmakers with more time to extrapolate on a few more things.

While all Mark's points are warranted, they're also unrealistic. The purpose of the TV film "Deadman's Curve" was to show how spirited and successful the duo were, and how quickly it came to an end. The purpose of Richard Hatch in the studio giving up on a song was to illustrate how challenging it was for Jan, and that he eventually overcame the adversity. This is well-communicated. At the end of the film we feel joy, renewal, etc. It was triumph. This is the film that turned me onto Jan & Dean.

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 11:27:38 AM »
Jan overcame adversity first in the studio . . . in 1967 and '68 . . . and then throughout the '70s in the studio . . . before they ever went back out on the road.

The movie makes it look like the only adversity Jan could overcome (aside from walking and talking) is getting back on stage. That's all I'm saying.

I have a copy of the script, too . . . but I don't know which version it is. I know there's a scene of Jan in medical school that was cut.

David Beard

• Warner Bros.
  • www.ESQuarterly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 04:24:13 PM »
Jan overcame adversity first in the studio . . . in 1967 and '68 . . . and then throughout the '70s in the studio . . . before they ever went back out on the road.

Jan had everyone supporting him and helping him back to health, etc. Less adversity than when he was trying to do it all on his own in the earl 1970s.

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 04:41:03 PM »
No, Jan had lots of help and support in the early and mid-'70s . . . Lou Adler being at the top of the list (with Ode Records and A&M). Also Hal Blaine and various Wrecking Crew members, plus Joan Jacobs and guys like Jim Pewter and Alan Wolfson.

David Beard

• Warner Bros.
  • www.ESQuarterly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 08:11:53 PM »
The photos that I've seen from the COS sessions depict a full studio, family affair, etc.

King Fred II

• Arwin
    • View Profile
    • Youtube-movies (including J&D and Beach Boys covers)
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 04:39:22 AM »
No, Jan had lots of help and support in the early and mid-'70s . . . Lou Adler being at the top of the list (with Ode Records and A&M). Also Hal Blaine and various Wrecking Crew members, plus Joan Jacobs and guys like Jim Pewter and Alan Wolfson.
And don't forget the help he got from Dean!!!

1Jay1

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 06:34:26 AM »
Thats right,dean played a major role in doing the second phase of jan and dean,and without his support and hard work there would have been no second phase,

So well done deano,

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 05:43:11 PM »
The photos that I've seen from the COS sessions depict a full studio, family affair, etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by family affair, etc . . .

Dean was not part of Jan's support system during the Carnival of Sound sessions, and his name does not appear on any of the AFTRA vocal contracts. Dean signed the Warner Bros. contract (under protest), and posed for a few publicity shots. That's about it.

As far as Jan doing things "on his own" in the '70s . . . he didn't. It was the same method of operation. The recordings just didn't have the name Jan & Dean on them (and Jill wasn't around anymore) . . . but at least they were new compositions (with Roger Christian and others) . . . and it's cool that J&D did record "Fun City" together in the mid '70s.

After "Yellow Balloon" and Save For A Rainy Day were scuttled in '67, Dean never wrote any original material, and produced mainly cover versions of songs.

Thankfully, Dean led the oldies touring act, which was so important.

And it's noteworthy that both Jan and Dean tried to tour on their own, and neither of them had much success until they renuited for good. Using the name "Jan & Dean" (even as a reference) didn't work — from a "live in person" standpoint — without both of them on stage together.

David Beard

• Warner Bros.
  • www.ESQuarterly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 06:01:04 PM »
Okay… You took my quote about about a family affair and went on to discuss everyone else's declaration of Dean's involvement… I haven't said anything about Dean's involvement, because I know that beyond the minor morale support he gave Jan, and appearing on "Only A Boy" (which was recorded prior to the accident) he did not participate on Carnival Of Sound. I never said anything to the contrary.

The Berry family on the other hand were very involved in Jan's recuperation process.

1Jay1

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 02:59:47 AM »
i sure dean sings on some of the tracks on carnval of sounds as i heard him talking about money,as he would have liked to have been offered sessions fees for the carnival of sounds,He did sing on Laurel and hardy, not the lead,the backing singer,and if he released singles on the Jan and dean record label i m sure he would have had some sort of input in these,