Author Topic: Like Summer Rain (stereo mix)  (Read 5273 times)

Doc Smiley

• Doré
    • View Profile
Like Summer Rain (stereo mix)
« on: December 31, 2009, 02:54:18 PM »
Here is a couple of questions for the 'in the know' members of the board...

Does anyone know why the stereo version of this tune wasn't included in the otherwise great sundazed "Save for a Rainy Day" reissue?
That song being missing was my biggest disappointment  in an otherwise great reissue.

The only copy of this version of this track I've found is on the CBS Columbia 2lp set "Summer Means Fun" c2 38069.
Does anyone know of a reissue that has this on CD?

cheers
Doc Smiley

Mark A. Moore

Re: Like Summer Rain (stereo mix)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 03:20:58 PM »
Here is a couple of questions for the 'in the know' members of the board...

Does anyone know why the stereo version of this tune wasn't included in the otherwise great sundazed "Save for a Rainy Day" reissue?
That song being missing was my biggest disappointment  in an otherwise great reissue.

The only copy of this version of this track I've found is on the CBS Columbia 2lp set "Summer Means Fun" c2 38069.
Does anyone know of a reissue that has this on CD?

cheers
Doc Smiley

It really should have been on there . . . say, in place of "Rain Clouds Long Gone" . . . which was actually Jan Berry's 1965 big-studio Wrecking Crew track for "I Can't Wait to Love You" . . . a cut misappropriated for Save For A Rainy Day.

David Beard

• Warner Bros.
  • www.ESQuarterly.com
    • View Profile
    • Endless Summer Quarterly
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 07:29:17 PM »
According to the folks at Sundazed, "Rain Clouds Long Gone" is what the box said that that specific reel/tape was in. And, if you look in the Sundazed booklet, there is a picture of that tape box on page 7 (top left hand corner) listed above "Lulabye In The Rain" [written on tape box]. You might have to squint because it's so faint, but it's there.I do know for a fact that Dean sold the masters to Save For A Rainy Day to Sundazed. The absence of the stereo version of "Like A Summer Rain" proabably means that Dean didn't have that master in his possession.

Dean revealed to me in an interview that I did with him in 2007, that "Lullaby In The Rain" (aka "California Lullaby") was initially recorded and intended for the Jan & Dean film, "Easy Come, Easy Go." Is it possible that "Rain Clouds Long Gone" was too (because they're both on the same box)? This might be a possibility because "Where Were You When I Needed You" was recorded around the same time. Meaning: There may have been a "rain segment" in "Easy Come, Easy Go." We'll never know for sure, but it is a possibility.

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 09:30:40 PM »
Which means that Dean (in some fashion) had gathered some of Jan's tracks . . . (and in this case, one of his compositions) . . . because I'm guessing Sundazed used what Dean sold to them.

And unfortunately, no one working on that Sundazed project had the historical context, nor familiarity with the tracks, to know any better.

As for "California Lullaby," it's a very interesting scenario. Because by contract, anything arranged and produced by Jan Berry, and recorded by Jan & Dean, would have been a Screen Gems master owned by SG. And with Easy Come, Easy Go, we're talking about 1965.

Even though the film was a Dunhill production for Paramount, Jan's contracts would not have allowed him to write, arrange, or produce for another company.

Even if Dean wrote "California Lullaby" by himself, as a pre-accident J&D recording, it would have been a Jan Berry production owned by Screen Gems.

So if "California Lullaby" had been recorded for the movie . . . Dean would have had to RE-record it on his own in order to legally release it on his independent solo singles and Save For A Rainy Day . . . let alone sell it to Sundazed.

1Jay1

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 01:18:55 AM »
I d like to know how much input dean had in the song writng,i ve read a few articles that Roger christian and dean torrence were both there in the writing of surf city,and not given a writers credit,also how much input in other jan and dean songs,

Doc Smiley

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 05:24:17 AM »
so I guess when Dean gathered the tapes to give to Sundazed, he didn't have the tape for "Like Summer Rain (stereo)" because CBS had already taken it for that compilation.  ergo, I guess the master for that track is hiding somewhere in the Sony vaults....? :P

David Beard

• Warner Bros.
  • www.ESQuarterly.com
    • View Profile
    • Endless Summer Quarterly
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 06:13:39 AM »
Which means that Dean (in some fashion) had gathered some of Jan's tracks . . . (and in this case, one of his compositions) . . . because I'm guessing Sundazed used what Dean sold to them.

And unfortunately, no one working on that Sundazed project had the historical context, nor familiarity with the tracks, to know any better.

As for "California Lullaby," it's a very interesting scenario. Because by contract, anything arranged and produced by Jan Berry, and recorded by Jan & Dean, would have been a Screen Gems master owned by SG. And with Easy Come, Easy Go, we're talking about 1965.

Even though the film was a Dunhill production for Paramount, Jan's contracts would not have allowed him to write, arrange, or produce for another company.

Even if Dean wrote "California Lullaby" by himself, as a pre-accident J&D recording, it would have been a Jan Berry production owned by Screen Gems.

So if "California Lullaby" had been recorded for the movie . . . Dean would have had to RE-record it on his own in order to legally release it on his independent solo singles and Save For A Rainy Day . . . let alone sell it to Sundazed.

And that's what Dean did. He went back to Lou Adler, and him add strings to it. Also, the tape box reads: "Lulabye In The Rain," not "California Lullaby." This may have been another way around that.

Ban n Bean

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 11:18:03 PM »
How is the stereo separation on the Columubia 2CD set?

This is the copy of "Save For A Rainy Day" to have:

Nice stereo.

Doc Smiley

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 05:15:26 AM »
How is the stereo separation on the Columubia 2CD set?

This is the copy of "Save For A Rainy Day" to have:

Nice stereo.

I'd love to hear it.

RobH

• Arwin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 01:18:25 PM »
I second that. I have never come across a stereo copy of this record and as far as I know nothing has turned up of any quality in bootleg circles.