Author Topic: A Christmas present from 2011  (Read 16642 times)

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
Re: A Christmas present from 2011
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2014, 06:09:55 PM »
Craig , First off we do not argue on here. We have conversations.
Yes Jan was the genius behind the act . In phase 1 . However we are/were talking about an interview with Dean concerning Phase 2. And his "frustrated " comment. I do not nor have I ever claimed to know it all about J&D or Jan's condition. There is a lot of info I've gotten over the years I've had to sort through . And I still am misinformed or ignorant on many J/D/J&D issues.  I think you are either reading too much into my post . Or you are wanting to "stir the pot" . Who knows and quite frankly who cares . As was said before lghten up. LOL LOL.

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2014, 02:40:57 PM »
Wow.......

Though when i first started this thread, it meant alot to me, i'd given up on it and thought no one cared ...

...how wrong i was

Now, i printed off all your replies and am taking the rest of the day to study them and the article and other articles of recent years with Dean O

and gonna try to comment again

i care

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2014, 02:48:27 PM »
For me, it was great to read all your thoughts.  And there's so much to respond to.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 03:41:36 PM by maryw7 »

BlackSea

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2014, 03:11:20 PM »
Mary this posting was a riot, Jan and Dean comebacks all over the place. The globle moderator and craig copped a pasting. All in good fun.
Flood the market I say with those 77 rerecordings.
LOL

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2014, 03:43:11 PM »
Mary this posting was a riot, Jan and Dean comebacks all over the place. The globle moderator and craig copped a pasting. All in good fun.
Flood the market I say with those 77 rerecordings.
LOL

Now, this however, BlackSea...i just don't understand what you mean:  "...copped a pasting" ..."Flood the market I say with those 77 rerecordings" ?  Hmmm....wonder what this means!

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2014, 03:45:49 PM »
anyhue...

As to the other things commented on...

#1  Wonderful to see RockabillyNBlues, himself, write on here.  He who communicated with Dean and provided the interview  ...THANK YOU! so much for taking the opportunity and sweet time to talk with him and all the marvelous questions.  THANK YOU!!! 

#2  GREAT to see SurfinAgain writing and sharing...(as well as everyone else)...your board and site meant alot to me --  ALOT

#3  SweetDudeJim:  am puzzled that you got such a take on Dean's words--and i appreciated 2Dean2's response to your post. 

Well I think Dean was telling the truth. Which is what we hide while someone we love is still alive.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 05:19:49 PM by maryw7 »

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2014, 04:21:49 PM »
continued #3 

It wasn't surprising to read Dean's thoughts in this article as i recalled two others from the past...one written many, many years ago, during Phase II,  but well before Jan passed (which i'd read reprinted in Sunshine Music)  As i recall, Dean confided that it was difficult for him to say it was such a wonderful thing that Jan survived the car wreck when he saw how much it hurt Jan to be "there" enough to remember what he'd been like ...and ...how it was for him now.

...and then, in an interview before a concert April 2011 at the Spencer, Dean responded with "The truth is for the first couple of shows, it was actually quite liberating," quickly adding that while he deeply missed performing with Berry, doing so was often fraught with challenges due to Berry's aphasia and paralysis resulting from the 1966 accident.  "We always had to keep an eye on Jan, because you just never knew when he might fall down or whatever."

Personally, I think it truly was putting it mildly when saying "he might fall down or whatever".  Along with what 2Dean2 was trying to express in his other posts, the day to day trials for Jan in everyday things, there was the excruciatingly difficult times when Jan's understandable inability to simply (or NOT so simply) make it to the stage or to the waiting transportation TO the stage, came into play.  Or perhaps, who can count the times when the pressure was on, as Jan's emotional pain from these continual trials before shows caused Dean to undergo extreme pressure with the fact that a contract might not be able to be fulfilled...with a crowd seated, waiting for them to appear. 

PLUS, the awfully inexcusable times when venues were not adequately prepared to equip a handicapped performer's basic requirements...yet would Dean be able to let his feelings fly in such circumstances?  NO!  He would have to genuinely, remain courteous to these hosts of events as well as make sure Jan's needs were at least, bare minimum provided for.

It's nerve-racking for any performers before a show and traveling for those shows...so with the all the added stress of these things i've pointed out, one can't minimize the motivations behind and inside of Dean to have handled things the way he did for he and Jan...I do not believe that it was all for money.  It's fun to say it was for the money--it's easy on many levels to have said that...Because who is willing to list the other needs and existing reasons?  They're pretty deep and show our vulnerability--and that's uncomfortable:   to give a life long friend and partner a most meaningful source of fulfillment and means of self-provision -- which enriched LOTS of people in many ways--that's one other thing and as and more important than money. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 05:36:09 PM by maryw7 »

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2014, 05:39:29 PM »
Thanks Mary.

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2014, 05:58:12 PM »
You're welcome

The Spencer article/ interview also included near the end: 
"It's a Jan and Dean set," he said (Dean).  "Jan and I were friends.  We became friends in high school, even before the music.  It wasn't like we hooked up because of the music and that's all there was to it.  He's still with me today"

Salzburg Surf Scene

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2014, 05:32:44 AM »
This has become a great thread. Good to have some passion out there! I like the rumble idea - but we should make it more interesting with a breakaway "Arnie-ist" faction, and then a really weird group who reckon it was all aliens. If we mixed in a few egos, then we really would be like the smiley smile board...

Back on topic. I think the interview is very interesting - and important - in that it gives an insight to what Dean has really thought over the years. We have all been so swept up in the incredibly moving story of Jan's journey to "recovery", that we tend to overlook - I think we try to overlook - his ongoing disabilities and the daily hardships.

And this brings me to another point, another tragedy in the Jan Berry story. The narrative we have, of Jan's brave battle to overcome his problems - has become "THE" Jan Berry story. It is a moving and inspiring one, no doubt. But it has overshadowed the other Jan Berry story: the story of the rebel musical genius, who laid the foundations for much of the music of the 1960s (and after); who revolutionised recording techniques and the very ways of organising and running a recording session; and who produced some of the most remarkable music of a period that was filled with remarkable music. The story of Jan Berry - as related in the general media and the public imagination -  is of the rock star who battled to overcome disability. It is about Jan the tragic but heroic human being; but it is never about Jan the musician and genius. In a sense one story has overshadowed the other, and that really is a tragedy, because it means the music - which is Jan's legacy - is so often overlooked.

Surferdan

• Arwin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2014, 12:21:27 PM »
Hello,
I have been looking at this sight on and off for about a year and have to say that this has been the most entertaining entry I have read. I didn't want it to end the play between 1wally1 and Black Sea was extremely entertaining so much so that I had to read their entry's several times. A rumble haven't heard that one for a while. Nash the Slash I had to read the other post to figure out who or what this was and the reference to the Beach Boys had me laughing so hard. It was also nice to see people come to Deans or for a better word Jan and Deans defence.
Well thank you and I hope there are more posts like this all in the Jan and Dean spirit of things. Flood the market with those KTEL CDs.
Thankyou.

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2014, 06:40:23 PM »
Ok if Arnie's people are in the rumble . I'm gonna kick some ass !

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2014, 09:26:36 PM »
 :)
You guys R being funny

Rummble - bummble!! 
MORE phase 2 please ( and then, Lord willing, I will go to #4 in making comments on yur commentings )

Cute Scenes of Jan & Dean....Charles City, Iowa Part 1

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2014, 05:53:32 AM »
Salzburg, the post you wrote-shown at the bottom here- is a great post. I appreciate what you said and agree that Jan's phase I story is being overshadowed by the human story of his comeback. While I think Jan's comeback is an awesome,inspiring story about courage, friendship(with Dean), and determination, Jan's accomplishments pre-1966 is what matters musically. The posts on this board have been a little silly lately,which is fun, but I really love what you wrote here. You're right. Hopefully, Mark's research will help bring the truth out about Jan's true influence and impact on music history.
(I've got to learn how the copy previous posts like the rest of you do with the lines)

This has become a great thread. Good to have some passion out there! I like the rumble idea - but we should make it more interesting with a breakaway "Arnie-ist" faction, and then a really weird group who reckon it was all aliens. If we mixed in a few egos, then we really would be like the smiley smile board...

Back on topic. I think the interview is very interesting - and important - in that it gives an insight to what Dean has really thought over the years. We have all been so swept up in the incredibly moving story of Jan's journey to "recovery", that we tend to overlook - I think we try to overlook - his ongoing disabilities and the daily hardships.

And this brings me to another point, another tragedy in the Jan Berry story. The narrative we have, of Jan's brave battle to overcome his problems - has become "THE" Jan Berry story. It is a moving and inspiring one, no doubt. But it has overshadowed the other Jan Berry story: the story of the rebel musical genius, who laid the foundations for much of the music of the 1960s (and after); who revolutionised recording techniques and the very ways of organising and running a recording session; and who produced some of the most remarkable music of a period that was filled with remarkable music. The story of Jan Berry - as related in the general media and the public imagination -  is of the rock star who battled to overcome disability. It is about Jan the tragic but heroic human being; but it is never about Jan the musician and genius. In a sense one story has overshadowed the other, and that really is a tragedy, because it means the music - which is Jan's legacy - is so often overlooked.

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2014, 10:26:20 PM »
Hi back to Surfer Dan-- enjoyed yur post--Appreciating your appendment making it:  Jan and Dean's defense rather than just Dean's in that part of it, especially.  AND the place you said to flood the markets with the KTels--think I will make that commentary #4, hopefully tomorrow, LW
Hello,
I have been looking at this sight on and off for about a year and have to say that this has been the most entertaining entry I have read. I didn't want it to end the play between 1wally1 and Black Sea was extremely entertaining so much so that I had to read their entry's several times. A rumble haven't heard that one in a while...
It was also nice to see people come to Deans or for a better word Jan and Deans defence......
Flood the market with those KTEL CDs.
Thankyou.
Jdman,  I agree with your agreement:
Salzburg, the post you wrote-shown at the bottom here- is a great post. I appreciate what you said and agree that Jan's phase I story is being overshadowed by the human story of his comeback. While I think Jan's comeback is an awesome,inspiring story about courage, friendship(with Dean), and determination, Jan's accomplishments pre-1966 is what matters musically. The posts on this board have been a little silly lately,which is fun, but I really love what you wrote here. You're right.
However!, think I will take issue with yours and Mr. Moore's persistent usage of: Jan's accomplishments of Phase 1 -- some agreement from me there, but some diversity to point out. Thanks
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 10:30:19 PM by maryw7 »