Author Topic: A Christmas present from 2011  (Read 16132 times)

Surfin Again

• Liberty
    • View Profile
Re: A Christmas present from 2011
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 11:05:34 AM »
The original era of J&D is all that matters
Without Phase 2, a lot of the younger fans had not even heard of Jan & Dean and they would have been forgotten, like all those other more or less obscure 50s and 60s acts

I think we should be grateful they had an own (even quite successful) TV movie

I admire all that work that is done now for accuracy, but in the end, except a few handfulls of die-hard fans, nobody will care

The re-recordings hurt rather than helped, as they flooded the market with false advertising, and did little to steer casual fans to the original recordings
It's a good thing that they flooded the market, becaue otherwise, the Jan & Dean name wouldn't have been on the market at all. Now, a lot of younger people know the Jan & Dean name, which they otherwise wouldn't

I know/knew a lot of fans and the majority are/were "Phase 2" fans, who had seen the movie or got introduced to them by those K-Tel songs

Maybe everything would have turned out differently if Jan hadn't had the accident which actually has killed a genius, but it has happened and the consequences couldn't have been reversed

Dean did a brilliant, no- to low-budget record with "Save for a rainy Day" which still is one of my favourite Jan & Dean albums, together with their latter stuff like "Folk 'n Roll". It perfectly captures the sound of the early mid-Sixties sound and is great listening, just to sit there and enjoy the music

1WALLY1

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 11:39:59 AM »
I think a rumble should be organised to sort this one out.  Jan followers on one side, Deans on the other.  Venue  the University High football oval.  Rules,  no weapons,  no hair pulling,  kicking or scratching.  Twelve pound gloves to be used.  We'll get Arnie Ginsberg to referee. The winner gets a mint copy of the Jan and Dean Story Lp and the looser gets an original copy of the Beachboys MIU album,  vinyl copy so you won't be able to hide it.
See you on the field.

CHEERS
1WALLY1

BlackSea

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 12:18:19 PM »
LOL, 1Wally,  what about the Jan and Dean followers, the neutral ones.
The MIU album hey,  I know what you mean.  The only reason I hang on to this one is cos Dean designed the cover. What side are you planning to side with for the rumble.

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 01:00:44 PM »
You guys are funny. It's never Jan vs Dean for me. Phase II was very important. The movie changed my musical life. But I see no purpose for the 1977 K-Tel recordings. They did nothing but confuse me. Even at 12 years old, I could tell that my K-tel Jan & Dean album didn't sound like the songs in the movie. When I got the Anthology album a few months later, it blew me away. Other than the 2 Beach Boy covers being included, I think the Anthology album was awesome!
The 1977 K-Tel versions served no purpose. The market should have been flooded with the original recordings after the movie. Anthology, the DMC release in 1979, are good examples of what should have been more available.

It's never Jan vs Dean. It's the original vs remakes. I always choose the originals. It's beyond me why all those groups(not just Dean) would re-record their old hits 20 years later.Who wants to hear that? People want the original hit versions or maybe live versions too. But never have I heard someone say they want Peter Noone to re-record Mrs. Brown or the Angels to re-record My Boyfriend's Back. Nobody wants that. I have no use for the 1977 re-recordings.
I'm not knocking Dean when I say I prefer the originals because he was on most of those anyway.

Surfin Again

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 01:17:37 PM »
All it's been about was the money

The chepo-record companies didn't want to pay good money for the hits, so (part of the original) artists would re-record their hits for them, K-Tel being a good example

Hadn't they done that, the artists wouldn't have been featured on those oldies comps at all. So it is better to have them heard by the buyers than not been on there at all

Those interested in the artists would buy the originals later, just to discover they were a lot better, like a lot of us did

I am not a Dean follower (nor a Jan follower)  I like them as Jan & Dean with all their group- solo- and side-efforts

But people should realise the reason why those rerecordings were there and that they did a good thing in the end

Did anyone from the Phase 2 concert goers say that the gigs were bad, just because the shows were not produced by Jan and did not feature the wrecking crew as a band?

With Papa Doo Run Run, it was basically the team who did those K-Tel versions and people enjoyed it live, to a great success

The re-recordings were nothing but the studio versions of those songs

1WALLY1

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 01:28:59 PM »
Blacksea, I'll be siting on the Grandstand watching the proceedings,  sitting alongside Dean and Gertie Berry listening to Something A Little Bit Different on the headphones and chomping down a  couple of Wagon Wheels.
JDMAN, I hear what your saying.  I'm probably the same age as you and got into J and D the same way as you. First album J &D Story followed by the Anthology. I need to point out that it was a good year between buying the J &D Story to buying the Anthology. In that year I probably heard the KTEL Lp over two thousand times. These  recordings as a result remind of that time.  Personally,  in my opinion, they are quality recordings. I can't see how they can hurt Jan and Dean career wise.  As a result of that first purchase,  one week of lunch money,  I now have accumalated over 200 Jan and Dean items,  be it vinyl,  cassette,  CD.  I think alot of other J and D fans who were introduced the same way I was feel the same way about these recordings.
There's just no way these recordings can hurt Jan and Dean.

CHEERS
1WALLY1

BlackSea

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 02:19:47 PM »
HEAR,  HERE 1Wally1. Over 200 items hey you must be starving dude. LOL

1WALLY1

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 02:27:53 PM »
Man tell me about it,  1980, Ride The Wild Surf LP from an import record store,  three weeks lunch money. 

CHEERS
1WALLY1

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 06:28:05 PM »
Craig , I think both Jan & Dean should get credit for Phase 2 . Not just Dean dont know where you got that. Because Jan was frustrated ????  You do realize we are talking day to day events . The ones we take for granted . Right handed ? Put it in your pocket and do things all day left handed , Reverse if LH'd . I dont know how to tell you take imitate Jan's mental handicap , His speech and if you ever met him as I did be talking to him and he just shut down . Dave Logan the drummer had to say "JAN, JAN , JAN " "Oh a yeah" back to signing my stuff and asking or commenting on it. Used to "speed read" a medical book take a test and Ace it . Now you can't read a "Dick and Jane " book with out help . That not him and Dean on stage and he can't sing as well as before is what Dean and I meant by Jan being frustrated.  As far as the rumble goes save me a seat 1WALLY1 . I'll get us some In & Out burgers , fries and Shakes . Oh my first J&D albums Original DMC/NGnS . Was my brothers he is 16 years older so he was 16 in 63. Then Dean's Jan & Dean Anthology I never got to order the "Surf & Drag" by the way. LOL LOL

BlackSea

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2014, 12:03:41 AM »
I think I'll join you guys on the grandstand it's lonely being the only Nash the Slash fan.  1Wally1 did you keep the OBI's on your Japanese records, theyre worth alot more with the OBI intact.  LOL.

craig

• Arwin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2014, 07:51:21 AM »
2dean2, I am 63 and have been a fan of Jan and Dean since 1964. I am not going to argue with you any longer. You seem to think you are the only one that knows anything about Jan and Dean and Jans day to day physical and mental health. Just remember Jan was the genius behind Jan and Dean and always will be. End of story.

BlackSea

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2014, 08:13:05 AM »
Is that the Jan and Dean Story or this post.
Lighten up dude, we're takin' about Jan and Dean the Laurel and Hardy of pop music.
LOL

Surfin Again

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2014, 08:33:12 AM »
Just remember Jan was the genius behind Jan and Dean and always will be
Up to April 1966, then things slightly changed

End of story
Wrong

End of Phase 1

Surfin Again

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2014, 08:39:20 AM »
Jan and Dean the Laurel and Hardy of pop music
Exactly

And that's why I prefer them over the Beach Boys

Their songs were more "pow" than those polished gems of the BB

Jan & Dean songs were a lot more fun than the Beach 5

There always were little "weaknesses" and "slips" in their music

Why?

Jan didn't notice them?
He didn't care?
Maybe Dean's influence was bigger than some people would like to admit?

BlackSea

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2014, 11:47:43 AM »
Just remember Jan was the genius behind Jan and Dean and always will be
Up to April 1966, then things slightly changed

End of story
Wrong

End of Phase 1

Your comebacks are cracking me up dude
Lol