Author Topic: Dean's new CD.. is it still happening?  (Read 8360 times)

Doc Smiley

• Doré
    • View Profile
Dean's new CD.. is it still happening?
« on: July 04, 2013, 07:25:37 PM »
There was talk about 6 months or so ago about Dean doing a solo CD of new material. Is this still happening or is this become part of the Bamboo Trading Company release? ???

Mike1965

• Ode
    • View Profile
Re: Dean's new CD.. is it still happening?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 10:18:22 PM »
I would like to know also.  Does Dean lurk on this forum?

owen

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 09:43:23 AM »
This story originated from David Beard who said Dean was recording for a new album. He then posted that the title was From Kittyhawk to Surf City. He then posted this:

http://www.examiner.com/article/new-dean-torrence-album-the-works

So the new album "by Dean" was actually the Bamboo Trading Company album which featured Dean and his daughters on two tracks.

Cheers
Owen

Doc Smiley

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 07:36:40 PM »
not quite what he was originally was advertised.. vocals on two tracks does not a new lp/cd make ...  ???

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 08:56:18 PM »
I 'm sorry as much as I like Dean I really do not know what a and by a I mean ANY 70+ R&R singer would have to offer the music word. As far as new stuff.
Would he pull a Rod Stewart and sing a bunch of "Standards"  Good Idea .
Would he try and do more Surf Music . Bad Idea.
Hearing the hits he was a part of yes , New Surf by a 70+ NO.
Jan 's Second Wave while pretty cool sounded WAAAAAY TOOOO ISLAND sounding .

Mike1965

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 06:44:41 AM »
Paul McCartney released a new album not to long ago.  It could be done. 

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 09:37:11 AM »
Yes Satan works in mysterious way's .
i'l bet it did'nt sound like a Beatles Album.

sunny13

• Ode
    • View Profile
    • FB fan site
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 05:00:31 PM »
I believe that Dean could pull it off to record his own album and it would sound good. He has great voice.  It's never too late !  The Beach Boys pulled it off last year with their newest release " That's why God made the Radio"  and Brian is about the same age as Dean.  I keep my fingers crossed and think positive.  :)

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 06:30:16 PM »
Would it be Dean writing it. Or would it be Standards, New material, Comic in nature , Romantic....?
The difference between Dean and Brian and Paul is They were writers and more . Dean altough had input was not a creative person musically .
Also because of the media hype on Paul and Brian there records are almost sure to do well .
I don't see Dean getting that much attention.
He might be able to get with today's hit makers and redo the hits with them . But how many people on and off this site would cry foul as Jan can't be involved ?

Bitman

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 10:08:29 PM »
In all reality J&D's window of opportunity to create any meaningful new music was in the mid-late 70's. It seems I recall an interview back around that time where Dean said he felt too much water had gone under the bridge for a new J&D album - and that was when they were still in their 30's!  You also have to remember that Brian and Paul were part of two of the biggest music acts of the rock era and the record labels are going to give them opportunites that Dean won't be presented with.

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 03:16:19 AM »
Good point Bitman. We tend to compare Jan & Dean with The Beach Boys and Beatles. While the production and arrangements were certainly in the same league or even better with Jan in some cases, the amount of marketing and support that those two bands got were significantly more than Jan & Dean. And also, the driving force behind Jan & Dean was busy trying to relearn old songs and recover from a horrible accident. Even still, Jan was able to come up with some good new material in the 70's. The vast majority of groups from the 50's and 60's did not come up with new material in the 70's and 80's. At least not successful new material. Jan & Dean are in good company there. It's hard to compare to Brian and the Beach Boys. They are still marketed so well. I think there is another Beach Boys 6 or 7 CD BoX Set coming out in August. Crazy!!

Mike1965

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 08:11:25 PM »
C'mon guys!  We all know Jan & Dean were better than the Beach Boys any day of the week.  Can anyone here look me in the eye and say, Dean Torrence could not make a new album?  So what if it doesn't go platinum.

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 05:34:04 AM »
Of course Dean could make a new album. Hell, I made an extended play album. If he wants, he can certainly do that. Chances are it won't sell. My point was not who is better. In my opinion, Jan & Dean were better and more fun to listen to. But there is no doubt that the Beach Boys have always gotten better marketing. Domenic Priore recently said on Facebook that the 4 Jan & Dean albums from Drag City to Ride the Wild Surf were way ahead of what the Beach Boys were doing at the same time. He said that Jan was ahead of Brian Wilson. I agree totally. So why did those inferior Beach Boy albums sell better? Marketing! Also, Command Performance was a great production! Two guys singing with a full orchestra behind them. In my humble opinion, it was a better production than the Beach Boys Concert album, but the BB's went to #1 and Command Performance peaked at #33. Not bad but not as good as the BB's. Again, marketing! So Dean would need to invest in the project knowing that he probably won't get that money back.

sunny13

• Ode
    • View Profile
    • FB fan site
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 05:54:18 AM »
Jdman - I agree with you completely.  Running fan pages for BB and J&D,  - there are many BB fans who love and respect Jan & Dean.  In fact, Jan is seen as the more technical expert than Brian.  Dean would do better if Jan was still with us, but he still has a great voice.  It would be difficult to compare - since BB are seen as a group and Dean is solo.  Then again, there were people comparing Elvis to Beatles. 

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 07:55:28 PM »
Capitol vs Liberty. Plain and simple . Talked to a DJ one time and he said Capitol would "Pay to Play" He also thought Jan & Dean were more popular with the kids.
We really dont need a "J&D GREATEST HITS From Dean either .
Should do all new or none "Surf" standards.
But your right MONEY , MONEY , MONEY at this time in Dean's life not a good Gamble.